TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In spite of what my friends say, I actually do have something upstairs....and I have pics to prove it. Problem is, no one knows what it is.

I had a tooth xray a couple weeks ago and the point of something showed up. The dentist aimed his xray machine a little higher and saw what looked like the end of a nail or something. Since then I've been to two different doctors and had a bunch of different scans and xrays. They say it is metal and it's partly in the sinus and partly in the jawbone at a tooth root. He says it looks like it entered somewhere below my eye. I've never had any injury that could have left anything like that in me that I'm aware of. Then there was that time in the desert when a spaceship hovered over me and......

I'm quite the celebrity at the clinics and the last place didn't even charge me for the scan because they had heard about it and wanted to see if they could figure out what it is. I think they've got a pool going.

They can't quite pinpoint the location because it's metal and MRI's and such don't work well with metal so they can't get a good 3D image. Best they can do is a series of stills joined together with software. The surgeon is doing exploratory surgery tomorrow AM and is pretty confident he will be able to find it and remove it.

Here's some pics

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Very strange! I think you may need to have a serious conversation with your parents about that time when you were a baby...

·
Registered
315 Posts
whoa! thats crazy, good luck in your opperation. i am sure everything will go great, I just hope your not in to much pain after the surgery. Keep us posted..........Alex

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'll call Art Bell and get you an interview
Whatever it turns out to be I'd roll with the Cyborg/alien abduction angle.

Wouldn't it be wild if that was a remnant of some dental tool used on you way back when you were a kid?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks like you bit a studded tire.

That is pretty wild! If you can get Art Bell out of retirement I would be forever grateful!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
now is it just me or is your name rather prophetic?

or perhaps you could change it to "phineasgager"

best of luck with the surgery!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I presume the tooth was bothering you?....how long had you been in this condition...if the tooth was bothering you?.Were you ever in the military?.Ahhhh.Art Bell...miss him.George does a great job on the show however.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's out. I guess I won't have to call Art Bell or George Noory after all. It is stainless steel. I only talked to the nurse after the surgery and she gave it to me but said she didn't know what it was. I'm sure the oral surgeon did tho. I did a google search for dental extraction instruments and found something called a Luxating Elevator that has an end on it like this thing. I'll ask him about it at my next appointment. The only teeth I had pulled where four in the army in 1968 and one in '75. I don't remember anything breaking but it must have. It's weird that the broken end was pointing up tho.

This is how it looked when I got it.

The crust was real hard....like bone.

Cleaned up

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I hope you never visited an Army proctologist....

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
That is just amazing. Did you every have strange headaches or any other indication that it was there?

I can understand how a dentist could have broken off a tool while operating but I can’t understand how they could have left it in – or, even more unbelievably, how it got in there backwards??? Bizarre.

I wonder if it originally went in with the tool end upward and then over time could have migrated to the tip down orientation?

It will be interesting to hear what your surgeon has to say. I hope you are feeling OK now?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is just amazing. Did you every have strange headaches or any other indication that it was there?

I can understand how a dentist could have broken off a tool while operating but I can’t understand how they could have left it in – or, even more unbelievably, how it got in there backwards??? Bizarre.

I wonder if it originally went in with the tool end upward and then over time could have migrated to the tip down orientation?

It will be interesting to hear what your surgeon has to say. I hope you are feeling OK now?

No headaches. I had a little irritation on that side that made me sneeze once in a while and breathing thru that side of my nose seemed a little plugged. I guess I just got used to it being there and didn't think anything was unusual. Now that it's out though I can tell it was more irritating than I realized.

I don't have a clue how it got stuck in my jawbone, pointing down. All I can figure is that the dentist fished around for it for a while, turning it, but was afraid of really screwing things up so he left it and bone grew around it. I can't imagine what made him think I wouldn't notice it and what's more odd is that I didn't.

Right now half my face is black & blue and swollen.....more than I expected. I'll have to find out what the surgeon had to do to get it out. I can picture him with a foot against my face, pulling at the thing with channel locks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts