TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TW is the first offroad/dirt bike I've had since the early 70's. I used to spray my offroad and moto-x bikes with WD 40 with reckless abandon to prevent moisture damage and make clean up easier. Those bikes had drum brakes and very simple electronics (ignition only) so I never worried about anything when applying liberal amounts of WD 40 with a spray can.

Since the TW has more complex electronics and a disk brake do I need to be more careful? Currently I've been applying with a rag but my general laziness is getting the better of me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm too cheap to buy WD-40. I use spray PAM

If it keeps stuff from sticking to metal in a 450 degree oven, it will keep stuff from sticking to the fins on my motor and exhaust pipe, among other things. It smells good and comes in several flavors

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When WD40 dries it gets sticky and will actually trap and hold more dust and sand and dirt to it. That's why it's absolutely not recommended for things like lubricating chains. Might be better off with a Teflon type spray.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Good point about Pam vs WD40. I'll have to get some of that. I'm still trying to get the mud off the underside of my TW after last weekend's little encounter with a mud hole.

As for chains, I use WD40 as a cleaner for them. Once the chain is clean, I re-lube it with proper chain lube. BTW those plastic chain cleaning brushes like you can get at Cycle Gear work very well.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I bet the bears in the woods follow NoHair when he uses the butter flavored Pam. "...ummm, bike smell good!"
When in bear country just spray your riding pal's chain with Pam "donuts in bacon grease" flavored spray. Even if he is a better rider than you the bear will run right past you to get to him:D

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I really don't have to run faster than a bear, just need to run faster than my riding buddy.
Yes. From what I have seen though, you are usually looking at Adam's backside;). Just saying that some cooking spray may come in handy some day. It comes in "Rodent" as well. Just in case mountain lions are your primary concern.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts