TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Dryden, Jersey Jeeper and I are going the way of Cardo communications. I thought give you east coast guys who are interested a heads up. Put one on your Santa Claus list for Green Ridge next year. :)

Are you in?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Which one are you going with? The packtalk bold and slim look interesting but i have not read much about it in the field yet.

FWIW i dumped Cardo a few years ago in favor of Sena. We had a lot of issues with our G9x units when used as a bike to bike or rider to passenger intercom. The stuff we experienced was a very common complaint with those units. It was a real drag to have to stop multiple times during a ride to fix the comms so you could talk to your passenger again. It was bad enough to sour me on the brand because their support was beyond useless. WE have had much better service form the sena's 20s units we have now.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I prefer the old fashioned hand signals and yelling....but I also still use an old fashioned dumb phone. Being a bit optimistic thinking Tom will show up at Green Ridge, aren't you?:D
Not cool man!!! Guess I've been optimistic that someone who lives so close to me might actually contact me to try and get a ride in once this summer........??????? :dink:

Tom

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a set of the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 communicators and I consider it my worst motorcycle purchase. Not easy to use and very unreliable. I only use mine for music now but perhaps I just don't have the patience for it. If you have not already bought in I would seriously consider the Sena system
I had the same thought about my Sena 20S. What a POS. You need to learn a whole language of unintuitive spins, clicks, taps, holds, ect to operate it. The communicator range is about 1/10th what the claim. 2 units worked ok, 3 paired got iffy, 4+ was useless. Constantly dropping someone out, wouldn't always auto reconnect, quality got glitchy. Battery would last 4-6 hours at best, I'd never get a whole day of riding out of it unless it was music only, kept at low volume. Audio quality sucks and could never hear it much anyway above 55mph anyway. Firmware and the app to control it were super buggy. Couldn't use earplugs, or you really couldn't hear it at all.

I got a decent pair of regular bluetooth "collar" style earbuds, tuck the collar part under your shirt, and I found the mic works just fine. If I want to talk to someone I just call them. Music sounds 1000% better, and the battery lasts several days of use. There's 3 buttons. Power/play/pause, volume up and down. Hold the up or down buttons to forward/reverse track. Easy. Swapped the tips for some noise cancelling foam ones, now they're probably 75% as good as earplugs with cancelling wind and engine noise, while still having clear music.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Not cool man!!! Guess I've been optimistic that someone who lives so close to me might actually contact me to try and get a ride in once this summer........??????? :dink:

Tom
DINK? Double Income, No Kids? Where do you want to go? TWs or "other" bikes? Dirt or pavement? Around a Fingerlake or 2? Some unexplored state land? You are now officially contacted! :evil6:

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
You really can't just compare brands when talking about reliability, features etc. You need to be talking about specific models because both brands have models in totally differant technology lines, mesh networking, bluetoothe, non-bluetooth, multi comm etc. Comparing support obviously can be compared, but a good unit shouldn't need support. Research is what I'm making my purchase on. My recommendation will be based on experience with them.

Does anyone have experience with the cardo pactalk slim or bold? That's what we're currently convinced of as being the best out there these days. Full mesh etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
DINK? Double Income, No Kids? Where do you want to go? TWs or "other" bikes? Dirt or pavement? Around a Fingerlake or 2? Some unexplored state land? You are now officially contacted! :evil6:
You never invited me either! WTF... lol

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was last years Press release.

Cardo Systems, the global market leader in wireless communication systems for motorcyclists, today announced availability of the next generation of its ground-breaking PACKTALK system at specialty retailers and Cardosystems.com. The world’s first natural voice-command-operated motorcycle communications system, PACKTALK BOLD utilizes Cardo’s proprietary Dynamic Mesh Communication™ technology to create the industry’s most-sophisticated and dynamic motorcycle communications system.

Introduced in Milan last November at EICMA, PACKTALK BOLD represents a new standard in ease-of-use and seamlessly integrates with Apple’s Siri™ and “OK Google” ™ voice-command platforms. With natural voice-command, riders can simply say, “Hey Cardo” to the system spontaneously and the always-on system reacts instantaneously. It no longer requires a specific activation action such as push-to-talk. Instead, the system allows riders to keep their hands on the bars at all times and is a significant advancement over current systems that required sometimes tedious and ineffective activation commands. With PACKTALK BOLD, Cardo leapfrogs the limited-natured discourse about the ideal button control, and instead adds a new dimension of always-on, natural voice commands.

“PACKTALK BOLD is the world’s most powerful, yet easy to use, motorcycle communication system, and we’re thrilled to bring it to North American riders,” said Dr. Abraham Glezerman – Cardo’s founder and CEO. “With PACKTALK BOLD we’re taking rider safety to the next level: Instead of fidgeting with buttons or wheels, riders can now voice-control their unit on the go in a natural way and without ever having to take their hands off the bars.”

PACKTALK utilizes Cardo Connect™, Cardo’s new minimalistic and intuitive mobile app for setting and controlling the company’s entire FREECOM and PACKTALK line of devices on the road. Using natural language commands and the all-new Cardo Assistant App, riders can use PACKTALK BOLD without having to touch any button or remove a hand from the handlebar.

PACKTALK BOLD takes flight via Cardo’s state-of-art Dynamic Mesh Technology, allowing up to 15 riders to wirelessly communicate with each other with the same ease of connecting just two. Unlike Bluetooth communications, Dynamic Mesh Communication-powered devices are interconnected, thus allowing a group of riders to seamlessly join, leave or change positions at a distance of up to five miles without causing a breakdown in communications, while the self-adjusting network automatically works to keep the riding group connected. And with class-leading wind-noise suppression, a rider’s voice always comes through crisp and clear.

“PACKTALK BOLD merges pioneering Dynamic Mesh technology with smoothly activated natural voice commands, to deliver a superior riding experience that simply can’t be understated," said Dr. Glezerman.

The system uses a single-unit design simply clipped to a helmet and featuring a slick roller controller for easy volume adjustment. Its rider-to-rider range is up to one mile or up to five miles when used in a group mesh arrangement.

Cardo also announces availability of PACKTALK SLIM, an integral communicator packing the same performance inside a 0.25” super sleek and thin shell. PACKTALK SLIM is recommended by HJC. It also fits a host of other premium helmets from manufacturers such as Shoei, Arai, Bell, and others.

PACKTALK BOLD and PACKTALK SLIM use Bluetooth 4.1 to easily connect with mobile devices like phones and GPS units, as well as universal connectivity to any Bluetooth communicators. It also features automatic volume control, smart intercom/music mixing, rider-to-passenger audio sharing, FM radio, and up to 13 hours of talk time.

Both PACKTALKs retail at an MSRP of $329.95 for single units and $579.95 for a DUO set.

The new PACKTALK BOLD and SLIM systems join Cardo’s FREECOM and Q-solo lines of Bluetooth communicators. All Cardo units are IP67-certified as fully waterproof, not simply water-resistant like lesser communicators, and all feature a two-year warranty and a U.S.-based customer-support system.​

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
We got a pair of intercom bluetoothy devices a couple years ago as a gift. We resisted using them until about a month ago and decided to try them out. They are pretty easy to use and have more functions than just the talking back and forth Mrs. Admiral and I do but that's all we need them for. The range is not real good in "dust" conditions as one of us needs to stay back aways but it's mostly because of the the mountains we ride in. On the flat open the range is better. Listed range is about 800-1000 meters.

Anyway, they come in handy for one of us to give the other a heads up about trail obstacles or when I need to take a pee break. The battery lasts just about all day. Probably would last all day if we turned them off at our breaks but we forget most of the time. Wish we had tried them earlier. Only time we get dropped is if we're out of range for several minutes and even then a quick push of the on button reconnects us when back in range.

The only weird thing now is when you listen/watch one of my riding videos you here me talk'in to the Mrs. a lot more.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
JJ, I reached out to Luis yesterday because Cardo sounded familiar but I know he has Shuberth gear. Well, in fact his helmet is Shuberth C3 Pro. But the comm module for it is in fact Cardo.
Let me first say that Luis is a professional Sound Engineer and very picky about his gear. I asked him how he likes it, he said "Cardo in my opinion makes the most solid system and the latest models also can communicate with non-cardo systems". He has used it for 5 years now and is very happy with it. If he ever does upgrade it'll still be with them.

On one of our last trips down to Daytona a friend rode his bike down but then had to fly back to NY for a family event. My trailer only holds 2 bikes so we had one bike too many. Luis rode along the whole way behind, in front and not too many miles around me. His ability to just call from his helmet and the clarity to me in my Jeep was really good. Much better than me calling someone from my car speaker. And when we were looking for a gas station, a restaurant, even making a motel reservation from his motorcycle, he was able to make all arrangements via his Cardo connected wirelessly to his phone to google, google maps, Waze, the road ahead, etc.
Really stuff I couldn't do or shouldn't do while driving a car. I was really impressed.
I think you guys are on the right track with this company.

Me... I'm old school... don't need or want any electrical things in my ear or get any phone calls while riding. I ride to get away from that stuff.
But I also hang-out with folks that do have them so I don't look like a complete idiot, HaHa.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mike, Rick,
Thanks for the input about Cardo.

I have 3 sena setup in 3 different helmets (C3 Pro, Neotec, old bucket). Was never happy with the operation, battery life and lack of clear instructions.

Also have a C3Pro with an Interphone that I use for long trips with another group of riders. Works OK. All day battery life.
But not the Swiss army knife of communication that I'd like.

Perhaps I'll try a Cardo setup after Rick reviews it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Smitty, we'll do some Fall riding for sure and we'll have Luis (who you have met before) along as well as another Cardo guy, Federico. Both of these guys do extensive cross-country BMW riding and swear by Cardo or at least the Cardo system matched to whatever helmet they have. And they are both "techies". It's a long-term and expensive choice so you certainly want to be sure from the start.

I know you and "Mike Red Bike" use Sena and to me that brand is actually more familiar.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Me... I'm old school... don't need or want any electrical things in my ear or get any phone calls while riding. I ride to get away from that stuff.
But I also hang-out with folks that do have them so I don't look like a complete idiot, HaHa.
Same here, but I'm OK with looking like an idiot!:D I'd rather be riding than trying to pair, syncing up, and all that other stuff.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Battery Life

I was concerned about battery life so I downloaded the user manual. The Cardo can be charged while in use so I plan to add a small piece of Velcro on the side of my helmet. This will allow me the mount a small rechargeable battery pack just in case.
I found this information on the internet.

Battery life with the DMC which is claimed to suck the power much quicker than with Bluetooth? Well, the PackTalk Bold was able to make it through an entire day of riding with the DMC without needing to be recharged. (Something that the Sena 30K was not able to do with its mesh communication.) However, if you’re doing something silly like an Iron Butt, you can charge the PackTalk while using it as long as you have a power supply and a micro-USB cable.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts