TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally getting time enough to post on last Saturday's ride. BuddyMC invited me to head up to Huntland, Tn last week for some "challenging" trail riding. I thought, "I've ridden trails, no problem." He also asked if I'd ridden rock before. "Yeah, I've done that too." Turns out that didn't count.

I didn't get many pictures, which is a shame because every inch of the trail was gorgeous, but it's very hard to pull out the camera when your riding terrain like we were, or trying to avoid a rocky death! (might be exaggerating a little
)

Riding with Buddy is hilarious. On the highway he's doing good to push 50mph. On the trail, screw the brakes- give it throttle! It was like a game trying to keep him in sight. Buddy's friend Larry who also drives a tdub brought up the rear. When Buddy and I stopped to navigate an obstacle he would fly on past us and say, I'll rest on the other side.

A big thanks to Buddy and his pal Larry for a great ride! I don't think Larry is on the forum, but his Harley front cowl and car light are certainly post worthy. You can see that fella ten miles away in the sun!

Heres Buddy and Larry unloading...

After a brief ride on the highway we get right to the trail. We stopped while Buddy took a look at his forks.

Ohhh there's your problem... Buddy had left on his block-so-the-forks-dont-compress-thingy-magiger.

Notice the hydration pack. Actually a block of never thawing ice...kept his back nice and cool though!

Now starts the real trail. Im looking at this goin "Oh Yeah!"

And these were the spots flat enough to stop and take pictures. There were some steep sections.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now there is a huge gap in the pictures. The next several sections we took at some speed. We climbed a hill that should've been (or could be) a mountain. As we were riding up as fast as the tdubs would take us I distinctly remember thinking "this is flippin awsome! Sure would suck to come down this hill." Guess what, Buddy was showing me a different way into the trail. We went back down that hill.

Along the last leg of the trail, a creek runs parallel to the road. And then it doesnt....it becomes the road. Larry didnt get wet! The nerve! I on the other hand had to put a foot down as it was still flippin rocky and Buddy did not yet consider this highway so I think he took it in about 3rd gear!

There he goes....staying dry...

Seriously, this is a county road. Right through the creek.

Buddy and Larry talk about which route to take back to the vehicles.

Battle hardened TDubs.

We had a great ride and a really fun time. These guys handled trails unbelievably. Thanks again Buddy and Larry for letting me slow you down- hope to ride with yall again soon!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Great write up and awesome pictures. Looks like some fun riding. I seem to always get wet on water crossings. I try to keep my feet dry but I always hit that one slippery rock and down my feet go into the water. Thanks for your story. I was grinning the entire time!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad it was Friday when I read this r/r - cause now I gotta go ride!! Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
great pics and looks like very fun ride. Staying dry on water crossings is always a challenge. you try to keep your feet out of the water but don't to fall in it....lol. That one pic isn't a trail, its a freakin dry creek bed with very large rocks! Can be quite a challenge getting thru those.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Many thanks to our new friend Jason from Fort Payne for the ride report and great pictures. We got together and made a run up to Skyline - Hytop - Keith Springs - Huntland - Estill Fork - Swaim - Francisco and back to Hytop with Larry (Joel on the forum) and I last Saturday. Just a long enough ride to be great fun with plenty of challenging scenery! He did a great job of capturing the terrain and landscapes and the fat old riders he had to contend with!

His TW was loaded down like a pack mule but he and it were both up to the ride. We never had to leave him behind!

All we need are a few more dual-sport riders (doesn't have to be just TWs, but the bikes needs to be truly dirt-capable) in the area willing to meet up and adventure ride with us. If you are in the Scottsboro, Guntersville, Fayetteville, Stevenson, Bridgeport, Jasper TN, Monte Eagle, Sewanee areas, let us hear from you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jason,

It was a wonderful day. You found some wonderful trails and we all found new friends. I was glad to hear that you would bring your Dad to show him some of the things you saw. Nature has so many gifts to share with us and all we have to do is look. What did your children think of the stones you took home?

When ever you and your friends are ready for another excursion into those hills Buddy and I stand ready. I will also tell you the secret of staying dry crossing a creek, one day.

Enjoy Natures gifts, everyday.

Larry

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Looks like there is more rock than dirt in Alabama.... Some of those trails looked pretty extreme; you guys must be taking your Geritol

Kidding aside, what a great adventure in some nice looking country. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Awesome photo's of your ride. Some parts looked rather challenging. My skid plate aches at some parts of that gnarly trail. And a good water crossing to complete the adventure.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts