TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Weak spark

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  SportsterDoc 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I recently acquired a TW200, I was totally in the abbot, everything electric was wrong, I managed to turn it on, but when I accelerated it seemed to cut the spark, now I can not turn it on, only a weak and red spark is seen, I think the problem is that a low voltage reaches the CDI, does anyone know what voltage should be fed?

#2 ·
1. What year?
2. Miles?
3. Battery voltage, key off?
4. Battery voltage at idle?
5. Battery voltage at fast idle?
6. Condition of cable from coil to soark plug?
7. Condition of spark plug

#3 ·
1. Year 92
2. The miles are not damaged the tachometer
3. New battery 12V, key on
4. Battery voltage at idle? I do not know, I could not turn it on again
5. Battery voltage at fast idle? I do not know, I could not turn it on again
6. Condition of the cable from the coil to the plug? It's good, check it with a multimeter and mark continuity
7. Spark plug is new

#4 · (Edited)
If battery voltage is 12.0, it is severely discharged.
What is voltage while trying to start?
If under 10.5 the battery needs to be charged or has a bad cell

Did you remove secondary cable from coil to check for corrosion?

#6 · (Edited)
La bateria se descarga ya que la moto no logra arrancar, la chispa se alcanza apreciar pero es debil y roja solo se moja de combustible pero no logra arrancar, y en el cable no hay corrosion

The battery is discharged as the bike fails to start, the spark is appreciated but it is weak and red only gets wet with fuel but fails to start, and on the cable there is no corrosion
There may be ignition issues, but without a fully charged battery, diagnostics is hampered.

Reactions: littletommy
#7 ·
Do you have a kick starter?
Is spark red or yellow while kicking?

If no kick start, have you tried push starting, preferrably down a hill?

If no go, repair or replacing CDI unit may be necessary...if ALL electrical connections are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.