TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington just had one of the best summers on record. That is sunny skies and warm weather, one of the longest dry spells on record. Are we paying for that now?, you bet. Today we will surpass the yearly rain expectation. It is coming down in sheets with wind. Down trees, power out and such, and of course the flooding that comes with it. Around Puget sound they are worried about slides. Every year along the Amtrak route along Everett it is shut down due to a slide. Most of the Seattle area is glacier till. That is clay with rock of all sizes in a conglomerate. When dry it is like cement. When wet it turns to soup.

I am fortunate to live above the plane of the river by several ft. The fields below me do flood and the fence posts disappear each year for a few days at a time. I am sure they will be going under again soon. As bad and depressing as the damp cold and not seeing the sun for weeks at a time, it beats the worry of tornadoes and baseball size hail.

I am about to really think about heading south for a month or so.

·
Super Moderator
17,994 Posts
Rain Rain Rain here and I hate it. Tomorrow is supposed to bring us 60 mph winds...

·
Super Moderator
17,994 Posts
Michael!!!!!

(I see you laughing...)

You do realize that I am a bit of a recluse and like to lay low... don't you??!!

And, how can I do that if you keep this up?? At least it only comes once a year... :rolleyes:

*Whad ya git me? Whad ya git me? ha ha :D

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
And that is one reason I live up on a hill, at 500 foot elevation. They are expecting another 2 to 4 inches of rain today, and when I look outside...I don't doubt it.

News stations said that "yesterday" was the 3rd darkest day in Western Washington's history. Light meters on top of the science building at U of W measure that, and it was DARK.

Yet.....they expect today to be even darker...........and we are not talking about a lot of Muslims moving into the area (ha ha ha ha ha) :D

To "me"....this past Summer here was TOO dry, and TOO hot. I live in the Pacific Northwest by choice, because I like the "usual" weather we have here, that keeps most other people OUT of the Pacific Northwest.

But day after day of heavy rain......reminds me that two days from now....December 10th....it is............

Little Tommy's Birthday :eek:ccasion16:

:p
Sharing a Birthday with my departed WWII Daddy......Stan would have been 98 years old this Thursday: Stan 1956 November.jpg

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Back to the weather, party cloudy and 52 as I type...with highs slated to reach the lower 60s over the weekend, but no riding in the forecast 80% chance of rain is also on tap :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok, call me a pussy cause I'm riding the DR650 and not the TW. But with many parts of my great city flooding I just wanted to sit a little higher. Only thing that stops me from riding is wind from hell in the Columbia river gorge or snow and ice.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Meanwhile over here on the Right Coast I am wallowing in still very nice weather. Should be 60 and sunny on Sunday so I made a T time at the local golf course. Not laughing at any other parts of this vast country though because in a flash I could have a few feet of snow on the ground any day now and am surprised it is not already here.

I do hope that all the storms in various parts are ending the droughts we saw for the past couple of years. Seems to me with the weather it is always either feast or famine and it depends on where you are and when.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,994 Posts
From Mel to Bananchunks, it's all the salad bowl...

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Fruit basket too... was sad to see countless sections of dead or ripped up almond groves due to lack of irrigation water last summer on my way to the Russ Memorial Ride. Almond prices now up as a consequence. Almond firewood is now cheap. See daily semi-loads of hay headed west over sierras as cattle fodder for the feed-lots of central California that supply a lot of our beef. Feed and beef prices are up as well.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
52 mix of clouds{mostly} and a bit of sun, not bad chain changing or riding weather....and I{along with Montezuma Nick} got both of those done::victorious:

Chaaaaaain 005.JPG

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Surprisingly warm 50's before tomorrow's alleged snowstorm. Darn windy. Just got back from a dog run/ rock tossing/ branch removing patrol ride as a shake down cruise for new lighting. Fortunately was not a shake off ride, all went well and stayed put.
Lots of critters about doing last minute munching before the storm and leaving their tracks. Black bear is still around, he is finishing last of Mel's pumpkin before hibernation ( saw his poop with pumpkin seeds).
Here are dog, probable coyote, bobcat and certainly deer tracks all heading towards my place. Must want something to eat.:p

Guess some fastidious something couldn't wait and neatly consumed this hawk. The wings are still attached to the picked clean ribs, entire skeleton seems still together...I suspect an owl or other beaked critter...there was a patch of feathers a few yards away. There likely would have been no leftovers had a coyote or bobcat been responsible.

Bike and old dogs all ran well, I like the new lights, and I got to visit some more of my orange stuff.

A good little ride, perhaps snow will lock me out in the next few days for the season. I should make a tool carrying tube like Travis uses while Ditch Riding to help maintain culverts and water bars on some of my roads. It is too muddy for the tractor now and I just need a little raking, hoeing and shoveling to finish preparing for the over-wintering.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts