TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had a starting issue with my tw today that i cant figure out. It started perfect all day even after riding leo palace here in guam even after crashing a couple times. Then when i got off the trail onto pavement going down a hill it started to putt, comparable to the sound it would make during a misfire on a car then died. So i was stuck on a pretty steed hill trying to figure out what happened, which was completely miserable, by i had an awesome time.

So the symptoms of the bike not starting, i put the key in, the lights came on so i dont think it was a battery issue, but when i tried to push the button to start it nothing happened. I tried starting it from neutral and in gear with the clutch and nothing. I gave the bike a really good look over and couldnt find anything wrong with it, then after about 45 minutes it started again and worked perfectly. Has anyone else had this problem or is it foreshadowing a failing component?

So far since ive had the bike its been bullet proof. Like i went out on patrol for what i thought would be a week (so i didnt disconnect the battery or run it out of gas) which turned into 2 months at sea and came back and started right up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely throw some of that in there next time I go out on it. Should be this weekend and I'll check the switch to see if it's opening and closing correctly. I'll update as this unfolds, thanks for the leads!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Don't discount the battery simply because the lights come on. They can still cause issues like that even if the lights are coming on. Even if the engine seems to turn over fine, I've had times where it's still the battery. Batteries are horrid things. Check the all the engine cutoff switches (handlebar/sidestand) like someone else mentioned. Also I'd check the physical connections directly to the battery itself. If they are loose or damaged, you could get issues like that. Then test your battery with a tool if you have one. If not (and if you don't find anything else), I'd try to get a battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i threw some seafoam in there and it putted for about 5 minutes then cleared up. And after 30 miles didn't have any problem with it. I also checked all the connections and cleaned off the terminals on everything and didn't have any problems all day. i just don't know why that one time it just wouldn't do anything, i just didn't know if it was a part of the ignition going bad or some other electrical component going bad, thanks a lot for all the replies though! really helped out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts