TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code:
Location of creepy little graveyard

if you zoom in all the way you'll notice a very faint rectangle. wish I'd had my camera with me. just 3 VERY rough hewn stones. this area of southern Maine is pretty old, probably some family buried there or something. I will get pics soon.

anyway, very cold here. was about 0' Celsius all day. telephone trails are always fun though!

anyone else seen weird stuff out on a trail? I'm a newbie and this was pretty strange for me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
We get old graves like that beside trails a lot. Usually no larger than a family, civil war era mostly.

At the peak of a wooded mountain is "vine hill". On the brightest day, it gets dark in there. The trail runs right through a canopy of kudzu on the trees, about the size of a 3 story McMansion.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Here are a couple of graves that I stumbled across a few years ago. Lots of logging and gold mining in my part of the country. No idea what the story was with these folks. Likely they were simply put to rest in the ground and someone stumbled across the site and felt inclined to take care of it (Four-wheel drive group). Seems we come, and go. Guess 'they' say, "ashes to ashes and dust to dust". So true. Gerry

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This may sound a little silly but my wife and I look up small out of the way grave yards then she wonders around looking for the oldest stones to take photos of. We've also found many cool ones while GEO caching.. The UP of mich. has soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many of them... Good stuff. OMM.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Not silly at all. There are some very nice old graves, small grave yards etc. 'round these parts. Here in the Boont region we call 'em "The Dusties". There is one up on the hill behind my house, and another one down the road from me that is so beautiful, very old graves there. That is where I want my ashes scattered, at that place, it seems a nice place to rest. Mind you, I'm not in any hurry to join them, but paying a visit from time to time is somehow peaceful & intriguing. m.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
While wandering aimlessly through the Santa Cruz Mountains I came a cross this "save the oceans" sculpture. It is made of a metal sphere, representing the Earth, with empty plastic water bottles stuck on part of it. My guess is the plastic water bottles represent man's pollution of the planet. The TW to the left represents me having fun. You can't see it clearly in the picture but there is a partially full plastic water bottle tied to the rear rack. I find plastic water bottles convenient and use them all the time.

There are two other panels with explanations on them but the printing was so fine that when I reduced the size of the pictures for posting here they became unreadable.

I will leave it to your judgement whether this qualifies as weird.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Here's something I stumbled across during one of my first dirt adventures on the TW. I was on an old overgrown trail in the N. Calif. foothills a few miles from rural ranches. Unfortunately, this is an area that appears to be very susceptible to being ravaged by wildfires. I suspect during one of these fires this critter got loose and is now likely living the good life. When I first rolled into this 'spot' he was laying down just nibbling on the grass. Perhaps my happening bye would be cause for celebration, but once he stood tall it seemed more prudent to retrace my tracks and let him get back to nibbling grass. Gerry

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Gerry, the animal you've shown is in a bit more weird and out of place than the animal I'm showing.

Not everyday you find a stray mule while out on a ride. Came across this feller on a ride with forum members Heyduke and Truelight. When we came across the mule, it was limping when it walked and was wearing a blue bridle. I will assume it ran off since it was wearing the bridle. If it was let loose on purpose, owner would normally take the bridle off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's something I stumbled across during one of my first dirt adventures on the TW. I was on an old overgrown trail in the N. Calif. foothills a few miles from rural ranches. Unfortunately, this is an area that appears to be very susceptible to being ravaged by wildfires. I suspect during one of these fires this critter got loose and is now likely living the good life. When I first rolled into this 'spot' he was laying down just nibbling on the grass. Perhaps my happening bye would be cause for celebration, but once he stood tall it seemed more prudent to retrace my tracks and let him get back to nibbling grass. Gerry

Hard for me to tell, but is that a Llama? He didn't try to run away?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
No, this Lama had no intention of going anywhere. Certainly it seemed my arrival was a bit of a surprised. This critter was NOT afraid. I figured this was pretty much 'his' turf and it seemed rude to make an issue. Don't know anything about Lama's, but to me, it seemed pretty clear IF this critter was pissed, it could make you wish your paths had never crossed. Gerry

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i don't know if all these count exactly for weird but i've seen these on recent rides:

wouldn't want to hit this momma. i'm actually surprised no one carted it off for wild boar carnitas...

this fury friend was crossing the road and i brought him home to show my daughter and son, before re-releasing it. (Aphonopelma sp.)

and this does count as weird, if you notice the teats on the mounter...

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Some years ago a buddy was taking pictures of a Hare Scramble at Fort A.P. Hill when the metal toe cap on his boot struck something that went "Tink" Looking down he saw an AIM-9 missle at boot end!! Needless to say he carefully pushed his bike some ways before starting it up.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
This Yahoo story got me thinking about something I try to look for on the trail when I'm thinking about it:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/bicycle-swallowed-tree-wash-154527745--abc-news-topstories.html

One thing I'm always on the lookout for are items which that trees have grown around over time, and initials with dates from long ago. Out here the oldest initials I've seen have been from the 30's mostly. But things tend to burn more often out here. Back east, down south and in the midwest you'd probably see much older stuff.

These are sometimes high in the trees, but were at ground height when the tree was young.

In the tight forested area just north of Flagstaff I once stopped to give my horse a rest. When I looked up there was an entire 1928 White truck in the canopy. A tree had grown through the floorboards and hit the underside of the cab roof. Most of it was still intact, but the entire truck had been lifted 20-30 feet overhead as the tree grew.

That truck wasn't the weirdest thing I've seen on the trail, but it's the weidest I can relate on a family show....

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i should have some pictures for you guys after this summer...i plan on going back to the freetown state forest where i had mountain biked since i was 13...i have encountered or heard of places where cults and satan worshipers hold ceremonies, animal sacrifices/mutilations take place, bodies have been found here and there is an native american tribe that has a lodge here where they meet...just start typing freetown state forest into google and see what pops up...people have written books about the happenings of this place...there was also a forest fire here that cleared out a section of the forest that was a little strange to ride through...the ledge and profile rock were strange places to check out....there are stories of puckwudgies and all kinds of weird things...lots of it seems like ghost stories but the murders, animal sacrifices, cults and satan worshiping is real...and i have seen animal guts on trails, weird structures in the middle of nowhere, satanic graffiti, etc...i don't feel like it's as bad as it used to be but it's def a place that i never want to be at night, ever again...only during the day...look up anything i have mentioned...it's really creepy...

part of the bridgewater triangle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgewater_Triangle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts