TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 TW200 912 miles. Since acquiring I've only ridden around my property, vetting it out and getting comfortable on the bike.

Yesterday i was playing in the morning, put the bike away for a few hours. When I got the bike out again it started right up no issues, however, the second I put it in gear (first or second gear) the bike would instantly die. Problem is not related to throttle, seems like a clutch or gear sensor. Any ideas? I didn't search before posting.....:eek:

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Side stand interlock can cause the reported symptom if either the side stand is down, switch is bad, or there is a problem with intervening wiring for the switch. If you suspect the switch or wiring is the cause then try using a jumper wire to by-pass the switch. Remove seat and install jumper between terminals on the plug connection leading from side stand, located to left of battery near frame rail.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
"Blip" the throttle before engaging gear

This is a well known problem with (most) motorbikes - you have to have enough "revs" to overcome the sticky clutch plates. Changing the oil tends to improve matters slightly, but it soon returns

Second nature to me now - "A fistful of throttle", then dump the clutch - twas ever thus .......

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purple, thanks for the reply, however I'm 99.999% certain it's not a throttle issue as stated.

Fred, thank you, I will look that direction and troubleshoot accordingly.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"clutch quirk"....do tell. Of course I'll hope the "IF" is a switch, but if not.....a dub "quirk"?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sticky clutch issue. Sometimes after sitting, the clutch will stick. If you pump the clutch and move the bike back and forth a few times, it usually loosens it right up and you'll be g2g. I've had the same issue a few times. Apparently it's fairly common, especially with the 2018/19 models.

My guess is that's your issues. Try the above with a few variations, and hopefully it gets you back on the road.

·
Registered
724 Posts
"clutch quirk"....do tell. Of course I'll hope the "IF" is a switch, but if not.....a dub "quirk"?
Yeah...so as Purple mentioned also this bike can get sticky clutch plates and not enough power (~12hp). So, the easiest way to exhibit this behavior is when starting the bike cold in neutral, then shifting the bike into gear with the clutch pulled in. It will often stall. Just a "quirk" of sorts. Starting again or a quick throttle blip usually clears things up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah...so as Purple mentioned also this bike can get sticky clutch plates and not enough power (~12hp). So, the easiest way to exhibit this behavior is when starting the bike cold in neutral, then shifting the bike into gear with the clutch pulled in. It will often stall. Just a "quirk" of sorts. Starting again or a quick throttle blip usually clears things up.
kick stand is down

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had trouble with stalling on my 2019. It usually occured after sitting overnight. Start and warm up. Shift into 1st gear, let off the clutch slowly (with or without throttle), stall. It makes me feel like im doing something incorrectly.
It was recommended that prior to startup, rock the bike a couple times while it is in gear. This released the sticky clutch plates (or whatever).
After this new startup ritual I've had no startup stalling issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had trouble with stalling on my 2019. It usually occured after sitting overnight. Start and warm up. Shift into 1st gear, let off the clutch slowly (with or without throttle), stall. It makes me feel like im doing something incorrectly.
It was recommended that prior to startup, rock the bike a couple times while it is in gear. This released the sticky clutch plates (or whatever).
After this new startup ritual I've had no startup stalling issue.
I've found that you need to do a little more than "rock the bike." I find that you literally want to bring the clutch in/out several times while actually rolling the bike forward and back. Sometimes the "rocking" works for me, but generally if I don't want to have the issue at all, I have to roll it significantly back/forth. This generally only happens when the bike is cold for me. If I am riding all day, it usually is not a problem at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Problem should disappear when you change to full synthetic at around 1,500 miles.
Mine has been doing better over the few months I have had it, but I do make it a habit to pump the clutch in/out and move the bike prior to most rides after the bike has been sitting. Also, I switched over to synthetic at my 600mi service—should I have waiting longer before swapping over?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sure an oil change to synthetic will do the trick, thanks for the invaluable advice! :playful:

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
I’d have gone to 1k before switching to synthetic, but hey, that’s just me – we could argue that one until the cows come home

Don’t expect the change to synthetic to be a long term cure for “sticking clutch syndrome” – it’s been my experience that it creeps back in again after a thousand or so – just take it as a reminder to change your oil regularly

I can’t help but smile at some of the antics some of you go through to prevent gear stalling – this isn’t a Deltic engine we’re dealing with here – just grab the front brake, rev it, and smack the thing into gear – she’ll take it

Let’s face it, we beat the crap out of these bikes on the trail, and on the road – the only time I’m “gentle” is by giving the oil time to loosen up after starting, letting it idle for a few minutes on its own. And before you start on “modern engines don’t need that”, may I remind you that the TW is a two valve thumper that was designed in the early eighties, and hasn’t changed since (/rant)

Sometimes, we have a tendency to “overthink” problems and possible solutions – it’s only natural – but the TW is a lot stronger (and less complicated) than we sometimes give it credit for …..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Purple, thank you for the feedback/advice. I'm certain it is not the “sticking clutch syndrome”. Next time it happens, I'll be more diligent in sussing out the problem right then. I made the mistake of putting the bike away, then starting this thread and not doing much troubleshooting on my own. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Purple, thank you for the feedback/advice. I'm certain it is not the “sticking clutch syndrome”. Next time it happens, I'll be more diligent in sussing out the problem right then. I made the mistake of putting the bike away, then starting this thread and not doing much troubleshooting on my own. :)
Is the bike lurching forward when it stalls? Or does it just cut off without pulling at all? I experience the 'sticky clutch' on my 2019 when it's a little cold out, but the bike definitely lurches forward when it happens.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'll bet it's a kick stand switch issue. Here's how to test;
With the kick stand down, put the bike in gear and pull in the clutch. Hit the start button. Will the motor turn over and crank? No? Put the kick stand UP and repeat. Will the motor crank? If it won't crank with the kick stand down and in gear, it's the kick stand switch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts