TW200 Forum banner

281 - 299 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Newbie just starting out

Hi All,

Never on a motorcycle before but have traded in the boat for TW200 to ride around central PA State Forest gravel roads. Have been reading as much of this forum as time allows (there isn't enough) and looking to make a few changes and modifications before I even get on the bike. It looks like a top priority for me would be to change out the front tire and the Shinko 244 5.10 looks like the one for my (in)experience and the type of riding I want to do. Next up is a set of handguards for protection and the inevitable drops that will be coming and I think I'll go with the Zeta dropdowns with the XC protectors because of looks and no major hacking required to install. After that probably a Rear rack, wider pegs and a Jimbo shield for utility, comfort and style.

Also looking at safety gear before I get on the bike and sign up for a basic ridership course. Thinking of a modular helmet (I wear glasses) and really want full face protection, shield and sunshade. I was looking at the AFX FX-55 Multi. Any experience with this one or other recommendations? What about gloves and jacket/pants? There will probably be some road riding around town but I want to avoid having to compete with cars and trucks on pavement as much as possible, seems like a losing proposition.

Anyway, a big thanks in advance to you all for sharing your experience and helping out guys like me...

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
OldMountain, Welcome and enjoy the forum. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy your TW200 either!:D

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome OldMountain!

You might check out www.cyclegear.com and perhaps you have one close to you where you can try on and look at a big selection of gear.

Welcome to the forum and if we can help, don't hesitate to ask. Sounds like you have a good plan on the bike so far.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome! I'm from near Albany, NY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, i picked up a 1990 with 356 miles on it, the bike looks brand new, it was in a basement , in Pittsburgh ,it's missing the air cleaner cover, I'm sure I can find one, I just thought I would post on a old basically brand new bike. Can't wait to get this fired up and start riding it, I will post pics thanks everyone

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hi everyone, i picked up a 1990 with 356 miles on it, the bike looks brand new, it was in a basement , in Pittsburgh ,it's missing the air cleaner cover, I'm sure I can find one, I just thought I would post on a old basically brand new bike. Can't wait to get this fired up and start riding it, I will post pics thanks everyone
Hello and welcome! Congrats!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
1990 TW 200 sorry
Pictures help because some years had a couple different color schemes. The air filter has an outer cover and an inner cover.

GaryL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello all, I'm here from Phoenix. Just picked up a 2014 with 1500 miles. Pretty high mileage for the year? It's got a few scratches from the PO dropping on the right side but other wise close to new and I think I got a nice price. The used ones here bring pretty good money or at least they ask lot imho. Have driven it on the streets but haven't had a chance to get it out on the desert yet. Surprisingly slow, but also surprisingly fun to ride. Picked up some good tips here from the experts. Thank you.

Moderate riding dirt roads/fire roads, would I expect 100 miles on a tank of gas to be safe?

IMG_1728a.jpg

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hello and welcome from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome! Before I went to a larger tank, I would do fill up's at 100 miles just to be safe. Not a lot left, but didn't strand me somewhere either.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
New Newbie, FNG, here. You can see from my Join Date I've been after one for almost a year now. Been a lurker but now hope to contribute. Just sold my XR400 and bought this TW200 the same day. I'm DNS (Darn Near 60) and just don't have the strength or ambition to hot dog as much, plus now I break stuff when I fall, stuff like bones. Any way looking forward to having fun with this little bike.

TW200 003.JPG

2002 with only 770 miles.

TW200 004.JPG

$2400 bucks. Did I do OK?

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome. Congrats on the new ride. Good deal on that bike too.

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I live in Spread Eagle Wisconsin but still claim Michigan as my home state. Spread Eagle is just over the river from Kingsford/Iron Mountain, MI. I'll update my profile.

33 degrees here this morning and I could only last five minutes out riding. Supposed to get up to the 50's so maybe this afternoon

281 - 299 of 299 Posts