TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Weld snail adjuster to axel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about trying this on at least one of my T dubs.
Just wondering about the pros and cons

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I'm trying to think of some drawbacks, but because the axle nut does not rely on a cotter pin I don't see any.

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
It's been done before...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is the main benefit that you could move it with the hex of the axle bolt head and also hold it in position while tightening?
I feel like my right side one is the one prone to drifting (albeit slightly) while tightening the axle nut, wonder what a guy could do to keep that one more stationary. But to answer your question, I see no reason not to!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
As long as you have the axle inserted from left side :).....should be no issues I can tell.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Is the main benefit that you could move it with the hex of the axle bolt head and also hold it in position while tightening?
I feel like my right side one is the one prone to drifting (albeit slightly) while tightening the axle nut, wonder what a guy could do to keep that one more stationary. But to answer your question, I see no reason not to!
To keep my adjustment where I want it...I'll stuff a rag in the chain and roll the wheel backwards to jam the rag in the sprocket.
This keeps the chain and snails tight while I torque it down.
Roll wheel forward and remove rag...Robert is your mother's brother!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I feel like my right side one is the one prone to drifting (albeit slightly) while tightening the axle nut, wonder what a guy could do to keep that one more stationary.
Take some slack out of the chain before tightening.

Fold over a paper towel a few times, then place it between the chain and sprocket. Then slowly roll the wheel back until it starts to resist rolling. Then clamp rear wheel between your knees to hold it from rolling forward, and then double check snails are in position, and tighten. You don’t have to fully tighten the axle nut while holding the wheel….only need to snug it up, then you can release the wheel freely. Then finish tightening.

Reactions: landen300
1 - 7 of 7 Posts