TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new toys to install on the bike and finally started doing some of the ticky little detail things I've been meaning to do but kept putting off.

Don, one of our riding buddies has a DRZ400 (We're taking up a collection to buy him a CT90 so we have half a chance of keeping up with him). One of the minor little features I noticed on his bike was that the snail adjuster is welded to the bolt head on the left side, which makes trailside axle removal a bit easier. Gives you something to grab and twist, and one less thing to disappear into the sand/mud/snow/manure where your axle spacers just landed

Just a couple of quick booger welds. Make sure you have the left adjuster on the left and vice-versa or a rock will one day adjust your axle for you. (The "L" is there for a reason. Check yours) You don't want the "L" pointing toward the ground and hanging beneath the swingarm.

Clamp it TIGHT to the bolt head before welding, let it cool clamped.

Here's a pic of it. The weld at #3 didn't really hit a damned thing. That's what happens when old blind guys weld without their glasses
. The axle part is stuck through a hole in the side of a cardboard box waiting for the paint to dry, if it looks a little weird:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good eye lizrdbrth, little things like that can make things a whole lot easier sometimes, its added to my list of future mods!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. I might chip a nail. But I can pull my axles and wait for you to take it to town for me. I'm all about making your life easier.

Besides I know a guy with FIVE (Count 'em) FIVE! gallons of this magical bulletproof tire sealant stuff in his garage....

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Ok, now I get it..... Ahhh, if I put the axle in with the nut on the left, can I use the right snail on the left side?? Guess I was facing the bike when I put it together the last time:blink:
Thanks for the idea, as I took the flashlite out and checked. Gerry

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't feel bad, Gerry. Apparently I've done the same from time-to-time. Get in a hurry, don't wanna pull the axle again after struggling to fix a flat and re-installing them backwards.. I'll fix it when we get home and it stops raining... Yada, yada.

I talk smack, but what's wrong with THIS picture? lol. They've prolly been that way since at least last May, which was the last time I can remember having her wheel off..

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you can match her miles (either on or off road) I may let you rip on her bike.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i can match anybody as far as miles. ive done a few ct to cali then back to ct runs, . even did a ct to texas run, then back to ct. all done on a crotch rocket so i know i could handle doing it on a tw200. prob wont attempt on a tdub cause it would drive me crazy only having an avg speed of 60 mph.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imaninstigator.

Dual sprockets coming.

Yeraninstigator2.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't feel bad, Gerry. Apparently I've done the same from time-to-time. Get in a hurry, don't wanna pull the axle again after struggling to fix a flat and re-installing them backwards.. I'll fix it when we get home and it stops raining... Yada, yada.

I talk smack, but what's wrong with THIS picture? lol. They've prolly been that way since at least last May, which was the last time I can remember having her wheel off..

Maybe I'm dyslexic, but I don't see anything wrong with the snail adjuster on her bike...just looks like maybe either it's a new chain or it's a little short. Sure seems to me that it's the R adjuster on that side! The way it sits...if you smacked it on a rock, it might tighten the adjuster a bit. :-S

I could be missing something else tho

Oh and thanks for the tip! Might just have to do that sometime soon.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right, Dakman.

I never let mine hang below the swingarm, so I assumed they were reversed.

One solution to this situation is to deliberately reverse them. So I reckon you'd lose that ability once welded.

Another reason to buy your chains overlength and cut them yourself. With a fresh 0-ring chain and sprockets cut to the proper length your arm would be where you wanted it pretty much through the chain and sprocket's useable life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts