Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my video, but not that far from me.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNgpI03nWFM[/media]

·
Registered
466 Posts
That is really unbelievable to see how slow the first little bit of debris is moving and then...wow. I saw on the news this evening that they had flash flood warnings out for the slot canyons again for this week.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I guess that'd hurt just a bit if a fellow were caught in a wash when that came through.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Wow!!! Imagine how you could be crossing that almost dry stream-bed and inadvertently jam your front wheel up against a rock that was a bit to big to roll over given that you were going so slow. You give the bike some gas, but the wet rocks just let your rear wheel spin. In between the revving and clutching you stop to figure out what your next move should be, then you wonder, whats that odd sound. Boy oh boy, that was amazing. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That is why you don't camp in a dry creek bed. You go up the side of the bank a ways.

Imagine waking up to the sound of debris coming at you and scrambling to get up & out of the creek in time.

Then watching as all your gear, and bike get chewed up and flushed down stream.

·
Registered
566 Posts
...Then watching as all your gear, and bike get chewed up and flushed down stream.
Laughing... Made me think of it as nature's "Soylent Green" human front loading garbage truck.

The worst I've found is a tent and gear mostly covered in sand. No skeletal remains though.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is why you don't camp in a dry creek bed. You go up the side of the bank a ways.

Imagine waking up to the sound of debris coming at you and scrambling to get up & out of the creek in time.

Then watching as all your gear, and bike get chewed up and flushed down stream.

You got that right! When I worked in aviation we were working in southwestern Colorado north of Cortez. On the drive to the LZ we had to cross a large dry wash, probably 100 feet across. No problem. During the day there were clouds around, but no real cause for concern. At the end of the day we were the last ones out of the LZ. When we got to the wash it was a raging river. The flood had to have hit after the rest of the crew left as they got out OK, but we were trapped. Fortunately the helo's were still in radio range and we were able to get a ride out.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Cool video. It should be mandatory highly recommended viewing before camping!

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts