TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a Trials tire up front, and its been great, I have been wanting to replace my rear tire for something "different" for a while now, and while i have been lusting for the duro, I like the look of the Maxxis Ceros and ordered one up today from the local shop. They seemed confident in mounting, and even included the mounting in the price of the tire, so i couldnt pass it up. Its supposed to be in thrusday or friday, so I am excited to get my new tire on. I ordered up a a new chain and sprocket set also, i had been running the 15/50 combo, but went back to the stock 14/50 for the larger tire. Anyone else here have a Ceros?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think your gearing will be too tall, but Admiral should be able to let you know.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jut8 - I have the Ceros mounted on a trailer rim mod and with somewhat limited time on the bike really like it. The rear tire seems to slip a little here and there on loose gravel but immediately grips again and stabilizes. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and put some serious miles on it.

I also swapped out the front "Death Wing" for a Kenda 270 which was a huge improvement, again a little slip and immediate grabbing and tracking again. The stock "Death Wing" always wanted to washout and dump the bike. Very unstable tire. Glad it's gone, it used to scare the s#!t out of me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, what gearing are you guys running? I ordered a 130 chain with the new sprockets if I need a few more links.

I'm not doing the mounting Brian...shop said they would do it included in the price of the tire, I couldn't pass that up!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
PM Kris and see what he is running. With the Duro, I run 14 / 55.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
I have been running a Trials tire up front, and its been great, I have been wanting to replace my rear tire for something "different" for a while now, and while i have been lusting for the duro, I like the look of the Maxxis Ceros and ordered one up today from the local shop. They seemed confident in mounting, and even included the mounting in the price of the tire, so i couldnt pass it up. Its supposed to be in thrusday or friday, so I am excited to get my new tire on. I ordered up a a new chain and sprocket set also, i had been running the 15/50 combo, but went back to the stock 14/50 for the larger tire. Anyone else here have a Ceros?

Guess I could chime in here eh?

I have a Ceros 26x9x14 on the stock rim. In Moab on the trails, I used 13/60. Once I returned from Moab I've gone to a 13/54, which is pretty close to stock but not quite. It would be closer to 14/52 if you were using stock tire and sprockets. In the past two weeks, I've gone on two rides. One was predominently pavement with short mile forest roads and had no problem hitting 60 mph when I needed too. I would go back to 13/60 or even 13/65 if I was doing some steep single track trails. (note: with my tire size it is a tight fit so I had to use a longer chain and don't have as much chain adjustment as you do with stock tires and gearing. Extending the swingarm would solve this but I haven't done it yet but probably will).

Yesterday I was on some rough BLM 2-track trails and had no problem with 13/54. I tried 13/50 and it didn't do well for my needs. Not enough speed in top gear and had to downshift to 4th just to maintain 50-55 mph.

Like Bkcntrycwler, I put a Ceros 25x8x12 on the trailer wheel mod. We have 14/50 sprockets on this setup. Great grip and I would say almost like stock tire and sprockets as it. The tire is just slightly taller than stock and Mrs. Admiral report a slight change to the feel but I can't tell the difference sprocket wise with stock gearing.

Hope all our comments help answer your question. Don't hesitate to ask if you have more.

L-R (Ceros 26x9x14 on my TW, Ceros 25x8x12, Stock)

Wifes Ceros 25x8x12 mounted on the trailer mod

and my Ceros 26x9x14

·
Registered
416 Posts
On my trailer wheel mod, I did extend the swingarm 2" and went big on the rear sprocket. I'm running 14/65 since I do want to have some of the steep trail climbing capability. I'm not as concerned about the top speed since I won't ride on the pavement where I need the high end speed. I just need more ride time...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys! i am hoping the tire will be in tomorrow so I can try it out over the weekend. I really like the idea of the trailer wheel mod, just a touch taller than stock, but I am kinda invested now in the 26/stock setup as that is what I ordered. I am wishing the shop good vibes for the mounting of it, they do not seem to be too concerned.

I did just order a new chain/sprocket setup, i got a 130 chain, but stock sprocket sizes........perhaps i can find a larger rear sprocket, or a smaller front to try? On my stock wheeled tw, I always ran 15/150, so i figured if i kept it 14/50 I would be OK, but maybe i need to find a 13 or larger tooth rear setup. Which would you say to go for?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the direct comparison picture Admiral.

Is the 26x9x14 as squared off as it looks?
I like the 25x8x12 profile better.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Also what PSI you guys running?
You can run with high PSI on the pavement. These ATV tires for their intended purpose, ATV's, don't require much psi, to begin with, so I hesitate to tell anyone to make a direct comparison with a stock TW rear tire and an ATV tire psi's, though for me I do run them about the same. I just want everyone to know to be cautious. My guess is most people who are running an ATV tire are primarily using it off-pavement.

Having said that, I started out around 15 psi for off-road. For me and Mrs. Admiral this was too much and in both size tires, I'm running about 10 psi.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Thanks for the direct comparison picture Admiral.

Is the 26x9x14 as squared off as it looks?
I like the 25x8x12 profile better.
Compared to the 8x12 the 9x14 is more square...looking. I've have not ridden Mrs. Admiral's 8x12 enough for a sand comparison, but in all other trail conditions they both hook up with good traction, better than the stock tire.

I too am impressed with the more rounded profile of the 8x12 with it looking much like the stock tire but I don't know if it's an advantage yet over the wider 9x14. Looks may not translate to better, I just don't know yet.

I will say in Moab the 9x14 hooked up really really well in the sand compared to the stock tire.

The 9x14 was way more squared looking before I aired it up. It does look less square looking when aired up to 18+psi compared to 10 psi but I don't like the ride with that much air off-pavement. Too hard and bounces off rocks rather than absorbing them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts