TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.
TWs are hard to find here, so i bought a very scruffy ex-farm bike a few months ago, for $300 in your money.
its still in the south island, as i am currently restoring a BW200.
a friend who imports bikes from japan has just offered me this. its a 2000 and has done 4500 kms.
i really wanted a 225 - but they are huge $$$
looks pretty good as far as i can see, most of the ones out of japan area ll hollow modded and super traps - brat style road bikes and i want to build a gravel hound adventure TW.

what do you think?

ken

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Is that the bike? Scruffy? Looks great to me if it is. For 300 dollars, I'd swim over to the other island to get it!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the bike? Scruffy? Looks great to me if it is. For 300 dollars, I'd swim over to the other island to get it!!!
no - that one is another one. more than $3000 in your money.
i thinking of buying it.
its so rare to actually find a good one in NZ!

the $300 is pretty rough as has been a farm bike. it looks like this:

there's not a lot wrong with the year 2000 TW is there?

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
no - that one is another one. more than $3000 in your money.
i thinking of buying it.
its so rare to actually find a good one in NZ!

the $300 is pretty rough as has been a farm bike. it looks like this:

there's not a lot wrong with the year 2000 TW is there?
The year is fine, but that bike is going to need some work. Does it run? It's been beaten around quite a bit, looks pretty rough. If it doesn't run and tires are hardened, gas tank rusty, carb needing work or various other things, you may just part it out and make a little $ and keep looking. Any idea of the mileage?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tommy, the blue one he already owns.
He / we are disusing the grey 2000 pictured in his first post......
$3000 is what you'd ask for a really nice TW of that vintage over hear , in NZ considering the rarity I'd jump on it.......

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
All things considered, $3000 is probably as good a deal as you will find there. It looks very nice and clean. The $300 dollar one needs a lot of work...:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The year is fine, but that bike is going to need some work. Does it run? It's been beaten around quite a bit, looks pretty rough. If it doesn't run and tires are hardened, gas tank rusty, carb needing work or various other things, you may just part it out and make a little $ and keep looking. Any idea of the mileage?
yeah - sorry if my post wasnt clear.
blue one is really rough - i own it already and it needs a full resto.
my idea is maybe not take months to restore it and simply buy the grey one .
it's basically $3500 US - fully complied and on the road in NZ, over here we buy a LOT of used cars from japan and a few bike guys run little businesses bringing bikes in too, as there already is an industry importing used jap market cars, it's easy.
the grey jap bike only has 4500 kilometers on the clock, has the disc front brake i want and looks pretty unmolested.
i think i'm going to find the $$$ and pull the trigger.
it arrives here in august.

i'll get some decent tyres, put a rack on it and handguards and get out riding come springtime (that's september here)

ken in NZ

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Gravel Hound" - Pure poetry to my ears. Get it and you can be riding soon, you can always slowly restore the rough hanger queen when it's raining.
i feel a little "Gravel Hound" logo may be in order. a little line-art cartoon of a wild eyed dog in an old open face.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i've decided to pull the trigger on the japanese TW.
will have to sell a bike though - gonna sell this - as i wont part with my BW or my Buell ullyses.

it will be a sad day - but you can only ride one at a time!!!
funny thing is i built it as a road bike to slow down when my son was born - now it's moving on 12 years later so i can chase him around on the dirt while he learns to ride.
i like that.

Ken in NZ

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
Dude - if that thing had knobblies on it - I'd be on it "like a fat kid on a cup cake"

(you wouldn't happen to know anyone shipping a container to the UK perchance? ) ..............

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude - if that thing had knobblies on it - I'd be on it "like a fat kid on a cup cake"

(you wouldn't happen to know anyone shipping a container to the UK perchance? ) ..............
one of the reasons i went with the 19" and 17" wheels was tyre choice. plenty of knobbies will fit it.
it's pretty good in gravel, slides progressively and it's quite light and low, that helps.
shipping it would be insanely expensive. shipping OUT of NZ is often twice to 3 times the price of the other way.
i just sent a BW350 header pipe to the USA - cost me $60 US!

ken

1 - 20 of 22 Posts