TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welp. Down a rim and a Terracross ?

Ok, so my plan was to mount the Terracross on my existing rim and then find a second rim (at some point) to mount the stock tire on and be able to swap whenever I wanted/needed. You may have seen my wanted ad in the classified section posted yesterday. Anyhow. Good plan. Terrible execution.

I removed stock tire from my rim in about 30 seconds. I was excited. Everything was smooth.

Tried to mount up the 26x8-14 Terracross and could not get it on the rim. No matter what spoons or tools I tried it did NOT want to go on that f$$%*n rim. So I felt I was pulling a bit too hard and decided to stop before I damaged the rim. Here is where it goes bad.

Took it to a guy that runs a small mc tire change place out of the back of his shop/home. I’m rural with little options and he has done a good job on some of my road bikes in the past. I dropped it off Friday. He calls me today and says “hey this tire won’t go on this rim right. If I use a larger tools/machine/force it may break the “tire””. At this point I’m thinking well if it breaks the tire I’ll be pissed but worst case scenario I’m out the price of the Terracross and I really wanted to try it.

Fast forward to tonight. The Terracross shredded and the rim is destroyed. Now I’m out any working and useable rim and tire, and Tdubless. He squared up with me, but...

Now what to do? I need a rim and a tire. I still have the stock tire but it’s kinda beat anyhow and I really want to try a 26x8-14 Terracross but I am afraid of spending $ on a new rim and having the tire get destroyed again, not to mention the crazy cost of a replacement rim.

Anyone selling a rear wheel, let me know. Anyone that wants to mount a new Terracross on a rim and sell it whole, I’ll gladly pay for that too.

Any help appreciated.

Tdubless in nice riding weather.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Ouch! Your experience reminds us sometimes these mods don't always go as planned. I spooned on my Ceros on both my stock TW rim and on my wife's trailer rim mod. On mine, once I got the tire on the rim I used the lube bead, inflate, let sit over heat and repeat method for a couple days before I finally was able to seat the bead on both side. I made an air hose extension so I was far back when inflating.

Wish I could help with parts or labor but I'm just a couple miles too far west to be of much help.

Reactions: Sthrnromr

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also had a TerraCross explode by a Motorcycle Shop although they were able to mount the tire. Since they did not listen to me, they put in 120psi and exploded the tire trying to set the bead (they got 1 bead to set). Saturday I went to a different shop and asked them to get me another TerraCross, mount it, then give it to me and I will set the beads. This tire has a tube in it...I didn't know if you were trying tubeless or not. I'm suppose to get it back Tuesday or Wednesday this week..so I won't know until then if they had trouble spooning the tire on or not.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I spooned on my Ceros on both my stock TW rim and on my wife's trailer rim mod.
WOW! Kris; you do know that Lori reads these things.

How is she going to react now, after finding out ---- that you've been SPOONING with both your Ceros on your TW rim; and her Ceros on her Trailer rim mod?

Be compassionate Lori. After all; he is only A MAN!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had a TerraCross explode by a Motorcycle Shop although they were able to mount the tire. Since they did not listen to me, they put in 120psi and exploded the tire trying to set the bead (they got 1 bead to set). Saturday I went to a different shop and asked them to get me another TerraCross, mount it, then give it to me and I will set the beads. This tire has a tube in it...I didn't know if you were trying tubeless or not. I'm suppose to get it back Tuesday or Wednesday this week..so I won't know until then if they had trouble spooning the tire on or not.
Yeah I am not sure exactly what happened. I told him not to to try and seat the bead, but I think he did anyhow. I used a tube. Also the rim was bent. I tried to hammer it (mallet) it back out but I only made it worse. The rim is now definitely shot. Finding a used one is not proving easy. Best of luck. Next time I drive the extra time for a proper shop I suppose. Maybe I was also just a bit unlucky this time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Crap, that sucks. At least the guy got back in touch about the risk. I spooned (or tried to spoon on) a K37 Heidenau on one of my Russian Ural steel rims. The rim held up. The tire cut itself making it a very expensive piece of worthless rubber. These are extremely solid side walled tires and I shouldn't have tried to install like any others before. Since then I've probably done 3 of them but take my time with lots of lube, powder, clamps, 3-4 spoons.

I understand the tire shredding, what happened to the rim? Can you just get a new one and have your hub laced?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand the tire shredding, what happened to the rim? Can you just get a new one and have your hub laced?
Rim came back bent. I tried to straighten, it only got worse. I suppose I could, although I don't usually lace those myself and have very limited options here. "May" be easier to find a new/used rim somewhere. Either way I am pretty frustrated and SOL right now.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Maybe have a custom rim made to fit the ATV tire. Use the TW center part of the wheel. Keep the brakes and sprocket mount. Expensive. Buy once, cry once. Hopefully trouble free. You are already out a another (new?) wheel and tire -- apply that money to a new custom rim.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I damaged a rear rim trying to get a new tire on. I was able to get it nice and straight again with a torch and a hammer and a block of wood. I’ve put over 1000 miles since with no problems. But my damage was mostly curls on the lips from being hamfisted with the spoons. Since then that’s the only times I have gone to the dealer - for tire changes. I’ll never try it again.

I like the idea of a custom rim, since you know you gotta spend $ no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Maybe have a custom rim made to fit the ATV tire. Use the TW center part of the wheel. Keep the brakes and sprocket mount. Expensive. Buy once, cry once. Hopefully trouble free. You are already out a another (new?) wheel and tire -- apply that money to a new custom rim.
I over looked this...agreed.

Also a trailer rim is easier to go tubeless. With a little goo in the wheel to fill Any punctures.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry to read about your difficulties. The only good news is you are in an appropriate situation to convert your stock hub to accept a 12 inch trailer wheel. That is what I would do if I was in your boat. The difficult part of that is finding a machinist to do the work for a reasonable price. I wish I could help you with a name, but I can't. I hope you are up and running soon.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you are going to do custom or even restore get in touch with Buchanon, top builders and lacers in the country. I've had 3 motorcycle rims done by them and also, when I owned MG's/British cars, several of those wire wheels re-furbrd by them too. Will always be even better than stock or OEM. Incredible quality.

Doesn't hurt or cost anything to give them a buzz:

Buchanan Spokes - Rims

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you to all that have responded to this thread with great wisdom, ideas and suggestions. Also, a big thank you to all that have assisted in PMs. This forum is a great place filled with great people, and I hope to give back as much as I can, like so many of you have. Often it is difficult to admit mistakes or mini-disasters such as this one, but y'all definitely make it a little more bearable to admit failure lol. Positive support and assistance are rare on the internet and forums in general. I surely do appreciate it.

I have a few options that I am now pursuing for a.) a replacement rim, b.) a rim transformation using parts from my old wheel, and/or c.) even a custom wheel or repair depending on how things work out in the next week or so.

I will keep this thread updated and hopefully post some more positive news and results in the coming days/week(s) and thank you all again.

:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Some handy enterprising soul on here should start building and selling wheels or rims for this purpose. Anyone?

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
TiinyWheel200 welded up his own trailer wheel-to-TW hub conversion, TW-Brian had a machinist who unfortunately no longer makes the adapter, and another forum member was toying with a totally CNC new hub for trailer wheel use on TWs. However no turn key easy solution exists that I know of for the trailer wheel.
I have a spare TW rim I got from Mel but it has a bit of a wobble, not bent, not out of round, just not perfectly true. I traded him a almost perfect rim after for the wobbler since I only needed the hub for Brin's machinist. However I missed the boat.
So this wheel could be available to SouthernRoamer but would need truing via spoke adjustment. I still eventually want a trailer wheel conversion but feel somewhat responsible for being such a proponent of the TerraCross tire. They do need trimming with a belt sander or equivalent to open the diameter up to something approaching the TW's nominal 14" rim.
PM me if the $100 Craigslist wheel , or no other option , works.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TiinyWheel200 welded up his own trailer wheel-to-TW hub conversion, TW-Brian had a machinist who unfortunately no longer makes the adapter, and another forum member was toying with a totally CNC new hub for trailer wheel use on TWs. However no turn key easy solution exists that I know of for the trailer wheel.
I have a spare TW rim I got from Mel but it has a bit of a wobble, not bent, not out of round, just not perfectly true. I traded him a almost perfect rim after for the wobbler since I only needed the hub for Brin's machinist. However I missed the boat.
So this wheel could be available to SouthernRoamer but would need truing via spoke adjustment. I still eventually want a trailer wheel conversion but feel somewhat responsible for being such a proponent of the TerraCross tire. They do need trimming with a belt sander or equivalent to open the diameter up to something approaching the TW's nominal 14" rim.
PM me if the $100 Craigslist wheel , or no other option , works.
Will do, thanks Fred. Also, I think there is a market and opportunity for someone to be able to machine an easy swap adapter or even CNCing a new hub for this purpose for resale. We'll see. Thanks again.

-Frank

1 - 20 of 53 Posts