TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
because any t-dub posted longer than 4 hours is either: A. bought by brian or B. it's brian's for sale.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like Joeband's explanation!

Yes I too feel it is a scam with several tale-tell signs. The 1st clue something isn't right to me is the minimal description for such a clean bike. Not really trying very hard to make a sale, eh. In this guys case, he points out it will not last, and it is true that good values won't last. So explain why is it still up after 4+ days? Anyone serious about sell something will usually respond quickly, because they want the money and they want it as soon as they can get it. So why haven't we heard back from this seller? And why is this price a bit out of line with what others are asking for their bike.

No single thing screams scam, but collectively it paints a scam like picture. My 2 cents FWIW.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Explain what benefit there is in posting a Scam. We have one here on CL that has been re listed numerous times and many have tried to contact the jerk. It is listed as a 1995 I think, with 300 original miles and no title but easy to get the title and for $1400 in Milton PA.

I have contacted this guy thru CL numerous times with no response as have others. One member actually made phone contact but never heard back from the guy. I don't get what the scam could be but he keeps re listing it every couple of weeks. A nice 95 with just 300 miles for $1400 should go pretty quick in these parts with or without a title as long as it is legit.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i'll say on this one too:
1. that picture of a '06 i saw last year on a google search. i specifically remember it, as it looked like my '06 parts bike parked in my garage. it could just be that they didn't want to take their own picture but...
2. the embeded map shows it in the exact same location as sgt emily medic's bike. the corner of manning rd and livermore ave.

something smells fishy.

that said: i'm not sure exactly how they'd scam you, as long as you aren't totally dumb, e.g.: sending them your name, address and phone, credit card info, wire money etc.... i guess too you could arrange to meet them at some scary, dark corner, but it seems unlikely that a t-dub is the ultimate lure.

i will admit buying my craigslist ttr motor yesterday did sound like a drug deal. i had limited transportation; odd opportunities to talk; meet me on the corner with cash; i'm in jeans with a green cap....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I will admit buying my craigslist ttr motor yesterday did sound like a drug deal. i had limited transportation; odd opportunities to talk; meet me on the corner with cash; i'm in jeans with a green cap....
I have a problem having Craigslist buyers come to my house giving them the layout of my buildings and such. I try to avoid that by meeting buyers at a public place if I can. Sometimes it does feel like a drug deal.

A month ago I bought an aluminum toolbox for a pickup truck box. The guy had it in his unlocked polebarn that was full of nice goodies. He had already told me on the phone that he and his wife worked days and no one was home until 5PM. I'm trustworthy but there's plenty of meth heads out there that aren't.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Couple years ago I met a guy in a supermarket parking lot to by a hitch extension. It was only for $20 bucks or so, but it did feel strange. If it was stolen property, how could I tell. I kept looking in my review mirrors making sure I wasn't being tailed on my way home. :D

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big D and I once went to Monterey to buy a pile of TW parts. We met the seller in a busy Safeway parking lot. I felt comfortable doing that as I thought it less likely he would pull a gun and rob us. The seller liked it because he had a family to protect and didn't want strangers going to his house. When it was all over we parted as friends.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would reason that people post scams to gain your email address for these reasons or maybe more:
1. Gain your phone number for telemarketing (or see below).
2. Gain your email for spam/scam

With your phone number there are some scary things people can do...
- get your address
- go to the courthouse to get your property info including who you are and or use spokeo.com to figure out some of the same info.
- Use this info to figure out when you were born
- figure out what state you were born in
- get your birth cert and social #

With ingenuity criminals can easily steal your identity.

Of course we can't live in a bubble if we want to find the best deal on second hand items. It's much like gambling whenever you give ANYONE a small piece of what identifies us (including email and phone number). Email isn't safe because if you use your computer for any financial stuff, it's really easy for criminals/hackers to write viruses inside of attachments for info that you're trying to look at such as pictures. They can gather any information that you type into the screen(for stealing bank accounts and such) and or turn on your microphone and or camera to track when you are/aren't home.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Put NRA stickers on your car and signs that indicate you like "guns" around and most small time criminals will steer clear of you and your stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts