TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you ride your poor TW in the way it wasn't designed for? I mean for the past 3 weeks ive been commuting on my 200 with 40 to 60 miles at a time never under 60 mph and a good part of the time 65 to 70 to keep from being eaten up by rush hour traffic. Im geared 15/42. While it mostly wont pull out 5th except drafting a tractor trailer, the tall gears keep the revs lower. I get 65 mpg and better.
Am I going to toast my motor? Only 4k on it and I change the oil at 1000 mile intervals. Ive got to say,even if I do. I will probably keep doing it cause its so much fun. Im installing an oil cooler. Just cant imagine all those little parts holding together spinning round and round so fast for so long
In all seriousness, this bike is better on the road than my WR450 Supermoto. That 450 engine would have been a puddle of aluminum by this point

·
Registered
816 Posts
I ride mine wfo all the time. Done 300 miles almost al wfo. 15000 on this motor with no issues. I run 15-47 and with the 6 speed I have to imagine our final drives are similar. If you’re really worried about it don’t do it, but I think you’re fine. I always think if I have to rebuild a motor oh well, but they seem amazingly tough.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I have ridden mine at 8,800 rpm (speedo says about 62 mph) for hours on end and everything seems fine. 32K miles, 14/55 sprockets. Cheap-ass $7 tach off ebay. No oil cooler. I do change the oil every 1,000 to 1500 miles and use Mobil 1. I never check or clean the oil filter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been riding mine the past year to work. About 70 miles a day 55-60 mph. At about 18,000 miles it is crapping out though. 5th gear has gotten WWII fighter plane supercharger loud. And this morning I went to change the oil and I'm getting chunks of metal in the filter. Sucks too. I was just going to be getting into moto snow camping season with it but instead have to rebuild it. At least internal parts are cheap.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I kinda ride mine in-between.
WFO, but not sustained.
Usually easier than that.
It's more a TQ engine than a HP engine...play to its' strengths.
Don't play to its' weaknesses, you'll hurt it.
I don't baby it and I NEVER lug (labor) it!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vanilla Gorilla, Im certainly not worried about it. If I cant enjoy things I buy, they have no place in my garage. Its crazy to me I can ride it so hard for so many miles and it drops to a timid but healthy idle. Its funny when I first got it, I thought how lame the motor was. I never thought it would get me down the coast of New Jersey in rush hour traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts