Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a video of them trying to get me but I didn’t know how to post it

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been chased before and once they get your scent it's hard to escape. Glad you got away!

Hope you were wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants.

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
What would be bad is someone hitting one on the Tdub and you were following. I have never seen one in Texas. I figured out they don't die in the snow when I was chunking snowballs at one in Mississippi and I heard buzzing. I hurried up and got out of there.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I used to come across their nests while working in the mountains on hydro dams. The first scouts will kamakazi you in the head without stinging you. Feels like an acorn was dropped onto your head. After 2 or 3, you get the idea they are hornets and look for the nest. The nest will have another 2 or 3 staked out on the outside. If you leave, no worries. If you stay, more come out and cover the nest. Move closer and they'll start to attack. Throw a rock or your coffee mug at it and they will swarm! Trust on this one, you do not want them to swarm! In my case, I went back to my truck, drove it to the nest and then threw my mug at it, diving back into the truck. However, there was a dog who heard me and came over. What started as fun, watching the hornets smash themselves into the windshield as I pressed against the glass turned into a nightmare as they discovered the dog. I have no idea where the mutt came from, nothing around for miles. Poor fella.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to come across their nests while working in the mountains on hydro dams. The first scouts will kamakazi you in the head without stinging you. Feels like an acorn was dropped onto your head. After 2 or 3, you get the idea they are hornets and look for the nest. The nest will have another 2 or 3 staked out on the outside. If you leave, no worries. If you stay, more come out and cover the nest. Move closer and they'll start to attack. Throw a rock or your coffee mug at it and they will swarm! Trust on this one, you do not want them to swarm! In my case, I went back to my truck, drove it to the nest and then threw my mug at it, diving back into the truck. However, there was a dog who heard me and came over. What started as fun, watching the hornets smash themselves into the windshield as I pressed against the glass turned into a nightmare as they discovered the dog. I have no idea where the mutt came from, nothing around for miles. Poor fella.
Maybe a dumb question, but did the dog live? Lol. I have no experience with a nest that size.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hornets are usually pretty nice I have had three close encounters with them.Several years ago I backed an old Ferguson tractor Into some trees and a nest was right beside my head.And they didn’t come after me.Another time bush hogging right beside a nest and they didn’t bother me.The nest pictured I had Road by within 6 feet on the TW several times this summer and didn’t even know it was there.I purposely drove up to it on the cab tractor within 2 feet and they never came after me I was just messing with them.I videoed it it was like ski pro said they were all sitting at the door just waiting for me to bump it.But let me to you Yellowjackets are whole different story.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just talking about them turns my stomach.
I am allergic to these bastards, so every one I see is terminated with extreme prejudice...they like to collect pulp from the back fence when I'm mowing the lawn, but I always carry a can of spray with me...love to watch them fall when they're hit, then I run over them with the mower...can't be dead enough in my books.

Vespids, ticks, mosquitoes, black flies, no-see-ums, fleas....Why O why?

And now they've found those giant Asian murder hornets in BC......

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've never seen one that low before. 4'-5' is probably the lowest I've seen one, usually higher. Sure would hate to hit that while on a bike. Or worse yet, a tractor with no cab. (slower than a TW!)
I was setting up to fall a big pine tree that was pretty close to a neighbor's house once. As I was clearing out the low brush at the base of the pine I ran into a nest about 2' off the ground.

From my experience, I recommend not fighting them with a running chainsaw. It only makes them more irritable.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
But when they do get mad watch out! I was bush hogging on my open station Farmall a few years ago and apparently roughed up a nest. The first thing I knew I was being stung in the back of my head. It was like being hit in head with a ball peen hammer. Man it hurt! I looked behind a saw more black warriors on the way. I shifted into high gear and got away as quick as I could but not quick enough. Was smacked by another one before I escaped. I literally felt stunned. I walked the area at dusk that evening but never found the nest. I assumed I had mowed it over.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow,
You guys really have some hurtful insects back there. I'm afraid I'd have to call for an air strike!!!! Maybe a dose of Napalm would do it huh? We don't have that kind of stuff around here in Lake Havasu AZ. All we have is HEAT! Phoenix has some killer bee attacks once in a while.
Scott

Reactions: Gullyjumper

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wow,
You guys really have some hurtful insects back there. I'm afraid I'd have to call for an air strike!!!! Maybe a dose of Napalm would do it huh? We don't have that kind of stuff around here in Lake Havasu AZ. All we have is HEAT! Phoenix has some killer bee attacks once in a while.
Scott
Scott, do y'all have any of these?

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes they have those big ole Scary spiders! Back in about 1974, I was doing a round the USA trip on my Honda 750. I had spent Halloween with friends in Tuscon.

I headed out toward Phoenix and somewhere in there was a mile or two of those damn spiders crawling, south to north, across the highway. Skillions of them. The road was greasy with them. The road was moving. They were everywhere and I knew I couldn't stop, for any reason, without them crawling up my boots and legs.

I am not afraid at all of spiders... so long as I outnumber them in tonnage, but I was really wigged out about that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Scott, do y'all have any of these?
View attachment 208068
Well yeah,
WE do have our own kind-a mini T-rex things. Many of my friends live near the outskirts of town and, have NOTHING but, outback territory behind and or next to their properties. And THEY have many instances of scorpions, long multi-legged things, Coyotes, bunnies, and a few other odds and ends crawling in and out of their garages etc.

We live more in the inner city, if one want's to call it that here in our desert town. We actually have very little desert critter intrusion where we live. Although, we still do see a coyote cruising the streets every now and then, no matter what time of day. After all, this USED to be THEIR territory, before we humanoids took it over. When I was younger, and WAY MORE STUPID, I used to pick up Tarantulas and walk around with them. I'd let them crawl up and down my arms. They're actually a fairly tame critter. They, like most entities on this planet, don't like to be riled. Treat them with respect and, they cruise off to some nice, dark place and make little tarantulas.
Scott

Reactions: Ken and Xracer

·
Registered
748 Posts
Back in the early '70's while vacationing out west, my father, brother and I captured one in New Mexico. We would let it crawl up and down our arms as well until it decided to sit down or squat. Then we would shake it off just to be safe. Brought it all the way back to Florida with us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts