TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally happened, someone stole my identity.:mad: Got 2 medical bills in the mail yesterday. Seems he's using my name DOB and SS#. Been all day dealing with this crap. Someone in Vancouver Wa. One biller says no problem after a few questions. They hava PO box for him in Vancouver. Different wife's name. But the other one will not back down because of the SS and DOB match. Well the my local sheriff says different and will make a call to Vancouver Sheriff and send the report to the 2nd biller. Checked all my credit and all is good so far. Had to put a lock on my SS#. And fill out a form at ID theft.gov :sad6::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well that just blows. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I wish I had some magic advice to give but unfortunately your best course of action is simply monitor your credit report daily as already recommended. Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. Makes me feel very vulnerable. Hope things get better for you very soon.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I would also advise walking into your local bank...whichever one your checking/savings account(s) are with, and having a face to face conversation with the branch manager. They want to hear this kind of stuff, so that...once you have given them a heads up...they can now fight in your corner to protect you if the perps take any money out of your account, or make charges via your accounts.
This is probably very good advice.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We need an "unlike" button. Sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Someone hacked our PayPal account and used it to buy a self help book... seriously!
God I sincerely hope they bought that book for their children if they have any:D

Tom

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Every company I deal with, phone, electric, satellite, cell phone and you name it all want me to go paperless and do it all on line. WTF? Even my bank wants me to bank over the internet. They must be kidding.

My Pay Pal account got hacked, my military records got hacked, my medical records got hacked from Blue Cross and they want me to put all my shit on line. At least 3 times a year I get a new credit card in the mail from my provider because they got hacked and had to change my numbers for security reasons. I went shopping at the local Walmart a while back and at the register they denied the credit card charge. Card company told me that store was a constant source of bad transactions and I could not use their card there. My debit card gets used at my bank branch and only my bank branch and even they has one of those skimmer things placed on the ATM.

Hope you get this all worked out Golden but I see bad things coming and the future is looking rather dim. So now we have to pay a monthly fee to a company such as Life Lock just to keep our finances safe and being the untrusting sort that I am I won't trust them either.

GaryL

·
Registered
425 Posts
Every company I deal with, phone, electric, satellite, cell phone and you name it all want me to go paperless and do it all on line. WTF? Even my bank wants me to bank over the internet. They must be kidding.

My Pay Pal account got hacked, my military records got hacked, my medical records got hacked from Blue Cross and they want me to put all my shit on line. At least 3 times a year I get a new credit card in the mail from my provider because they got hacked and had to change my numbers for security reasons. I went shopping at the local Walmart a while back and at the register they denied the credit card charge. Card company told me that store was a constant source of bad transactions and I could not use their card there. My debit card gets used at my bank branch and only my bank branch and even they has one of those skimmer things placed on the ATM.

Hope you get this all worked out Golden but I see bad things coming and the future is looking rather dim. So now we have to pay a monthly fee to a company such as Life Lock just to keep our finances safe and being the untrusting sort that I am I won't trust them either.

GaryL
Poop going to get real and quick

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
My Grandmother told me a long time ago never to put all my money in one bank. Her view was from the Great Depression with banks going belly up.

Flash forward to today and the same advice holds true only for a different reason -- Identity theft. If a thief wipes out one account at one bank you still have a savings or checking account at another bank and hopefully can still function until the first one gets straightened out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't know if it has changed but: I have never used a bank debit card.

Credit card "rules" have built in protections to try and help you against fraudulent uses.

Bank debit cards had no such protections. Someone cleans out your bank account - IT'S GONE.
Banks might be bad about that, but Credit Unions usually stand behind their members. I've had someone steal my debit card number twice now: once on my cross country trip, and once around Christmas.
A call to the Credit Union put a stop to everything both times. I'm certain the cross-country theft was at a gas station at the Utah/Nevada border on Route 50 - the number was sold to someone in Michigan who bought a bunch of college books. The Christmas theft came in the form of 2 Western Union money orders that cleared out my checking account. Both times I had to fill out paperwork at the CU and prove I was innocent, but there was no hassle getting my money back. The proof part was easy for me, though: bank charges showed my trip never took me close to Michigan, and the money orders didn't even have my name or address on them, just the account number.

Credit Unions are the way to go!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I had the opposite event . The credit union actually enabled them to further rob my account even after I closed the account. They started pulling money from my savings to pay the illegal draws on the checking account after I had closed it. And this with a written note in my contract that over draws were not to be paid. There was not supposed to be an overdraught protection. I had specifically put this in the contract to prevent further loss in the event of identity theft.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts