TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm sure at least 99% of those bikes were stolen and now the rightful owners have no way of getting their property back.

The criminals are not the bike owners here. THIS is the sort of thing that angers the public and is why a guy like Donald Trump is going to win the White House in a landslide;
We are sick and tired of the government treating us like we were juvenile delinquents, that they know what is best for us and that they are outraged we are not grateful to them for all they do for us.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
According to a NYPD friend of mine and backed up by the local cops here, If any of the confiscated bikes show to be stolen, they are set aside as evidence.

As to the 99 percent, the NYPD guy says less than 10 percent.

Sorry to burst the bubble that all NY riders are thieving douchebags. :)

The cops are instructed to confiscate/impound for even minor infractions.
Few cops actually do that, though. But there are cases where a bike is taken because someone is not wearing a DOT helmet. All to make a point and fodder for the gestapo politicians, so they can say they "did something".

All this stems from an incident where a group of douchebags (which included more than the one off duty cop they said was there) who chased down a motorist after that same motorist ran over a douchebag rider that was brake checking him. Both parties at fault, but the angry mob of bikers (douchebags) took it a bit too far.

So, it looks like a couple of bad apples spoiled the bunch of us.

I'm sure at least 99% of those bikes were stolen and now the rightful owners have no way of getting their property back.

The criminals are not the bike owners here. THIS is the sort of thing that angers the public and is why a guy like Donald Trump is going to win the White House in a landslide;
We are sick and tired of the government treating us like we were juvenile delinquents, that they know what is best for us and that they are outraged we are not grateful to them for all they do for us.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
there are cases where a bike is taken because someone is not wearing a DOT helmet. All to make a point and fodder for the gestapo politicians, so they can say they "did something".
This makes my blood curdle...

·
Registered
928 Posts
If there's one thing people in positions of power hate, it's people doing what they want to feel free. They also hate to have to work, so make blanket statements and pass ambiguous laws that work to their advantage whenever it's convenient. Thus, all bikers are bad. All guns are evil. etc...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back in november some thugs broke into garage and.wheeled my 02.kx 500 out the side door yes it was locked.Haven't heard anything from local police.since.and.now.I see this and.wonder if. My ride is amongst one of these.? I.have.no faith in the police.and.even.if.they didn't directly steal it,it.wouldn't suprise me if they found.it if one.of them kept.it.I hate to think like.this even.this was my dream bike I've wanted since 13 finally bought it.for 2600 at 38 3 years ago.im.still heartbroken.and pissed that people.don't wanna.work for anything anymore while.the rest.of us.kill ourselves eventually the gig is.gonna be up because these 2 world's can't work and support each other the republic is dead.Even Mr Jefferson stated this 200 plus years ago. After this debacle in NYC with bikes I somehow don't put it past them to.confiscate guns.w.impunity.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Dude, that's horrible. Hope you get your bike back.

Back in november some thugs broke into garage and.wheeled my 02.kx 500 out the side door yes it was locked.Haven't heard anything from local police.since.and.now.I see this and.wonder if. My ride is amongst one of these.? I.have.no faith in the police.and.even.if.they didn't directly steal it,it.wouldn't suprise me if they found.it if one.of them kept.it.I hate to think like.this even.this was my dream bike I've wanted since 13 finally bought it.for 2600 at 38 3 years ago.im.still heartbroken.and pissed that people.don't wanna.work for anything anymore while.the rest.of us.kill ourselves eventually the gig is.gonna be up because these 2 world's can't work and support each other the republic is dead.Even Mr Jefferson stated this 200 plus years ago. After this debacle in NYC with bikes I somehow don't put it past them to.confiscate guns.w.impunity.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That stinks. I will say that when I worked up there on detail (both NY and Newark), gangs would come out at dark and take over the streets and sidewalks with bikes and ATVs. It was nuts.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
587 Posts
Maybe the court as part of their punishment should order the person who did the crime to dismantle the bike and it be sold for parts and the city gets the money for homeless or such. That would add to the criminals pain. No more slaps in the hand.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Maybe the court as part of their punishment should order the person who did the crime to dismantle the bike and it be sold for parts and the city gets the money for homeless or such. That would add to the criminals pain. No more slaps in the hand.
Great idea except, Who is going to be the cop watching over the dismantling garage and who is going to pay the salaries and for the tools and for all the storage and shipment of the said parts. Your plan adds yet another very expensive level of government and in the end the profits will be eaten away by the costs of doing business. The MC and ATV dealers would blow a fuse to see all of these confiscated machines recycled because that would cut right into their sales of machines and parts.

All of these machines should be sold at an auction with salvage titles never to be registered again but to be parted out. Even here the price the salvager's would pay would not cover the costs of doing it.

I was the GM at a very large mostly ATV shop. Machines taken in on trade or those brought in for repairs that were more than the machine was worth all got pushed out back and about once a month we had a fellow come and buy the entire lot for pennies on the dollar and he would fix the ones worth fixing and part out the rest. You can see them on Ebay all day long and many of us have probably bought parts from a lot of these re sellers. As a dealer when we sold them this way we could not give titles so any of these machines that did get repaired were outlaws in the eyes of the law. The ones that get bulldozed over are still sold for scrap and many of the parts could still end up on Ebay.

GaryL

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
587 Posts
True that, just my suggestion how to give the criminals the idea(don't do it again) if ya know what I mean. Got to WANT them to not do it again, and for future people to see WHAT will happen if they do it. Our gov just slaps them on the hand. Don't just throw fines at them, they will never learn, make them do trash pick up/painting or something very labor intensive to teach them right from wrong.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
That's the problem. You can't force anyone to work. Bet they don't have that problem in China or North Korea!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That's the problem. You can't force anyone to work. Bet they don't have that problem in China or North Korea!
Back in the very beginning, we can call that Tribal Times, every member of the tribe had a job or duty they had to perform or they didn't eat. They took care of the young, old and sick but all others had to carry their own weight. Too bad we got this far away from such a basic principal.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Idle hands are the devil's workshop......

Tom

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
46 Posts
To hell with NY liberal hell hole. When does the constitution say the local gov has the power to seize and destroy property because the top cop wants to prove a point? I can understand seizing and destroying drugs, but not this. I do not care if the owner was a knucklehead.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
To hell with NY liberal hell hole. When does the constitution say the local gov has the power to seize and destroy property because the top cop wants to prove a point? I can understand seizing and destroying drugs, but not this. I do not care if the owner was a knucklehead.
I am willing to bet that every one of those machines were impounded for illegal use and the owners, if they really were the real owners, were faced with fines and impound fees they could not or would not pay. I am completely surrounded here where I live by state owned forests. If the DEC catches me riding on these lands they will give me one warning and let me go. Caught again and I get the ticket to go to court and pay the fine along with the outrageous towing fee as well as the impoundment fee with storage multiplied by the number of days there. I would be getting away very cheap if I pay less than $500 total between the fines and penalties. Keep in mind also that here in this communist state all ATVs must be registered and if driven off my own property they must be insured. If the guy is a real creep he can hit you with unregistered and uninsured and even unlicensed operation if you don't have one with the MC endorsement with all the other stuff.

Up here in rural NY the cops usually look the other way with some of this stuff but these crushed machines were confiscated on the greater NY City streets and not in the country. I understand where you are coming from but face the facts, ATVs and dirt bikes have no business being driven on public roads or city streets. That is why I now have a licensed and insured road worthy TW.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts