TW200 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Ok, now yall really did it. I stopped by 2 dealers today on the way home from work. They had all the adventure bikes lined up (different makes). These things are just stupidly huge. How in the hell does ANYONE ride these things on anything other than interstates? Well the CB500X was at the end of the line. Threw a leg over, pulled her up (easy), wow I can flat foot it. Looks like it would fit me pretty good. The tank did look kinda large, much larger than anything I have now but Id probably get used to it. Was a 2014 model, still full MSRP, (they aint getting my money :) )

Looked at a bunch more then saw a DR650. Stood next to it, no way in hell Im getting my leg over that :) I tried anyway :) Amazingly when I sat down the bike dropped quite a bit to where I could easily touch both feet, but not flat foot, I was wearing my Chucks though. Doesnt interest me, seems too much of a dirt bike.

Went to the next dealer, they had the same stuff, no CB500X though. A few months ago they started selling BMWs. Figured what the hell. Once again gigantic freakin bikes with $25K plus price tags.......no thank you. Was about to turn around and head out when I noticed a mirror sticking up in the air just above the behemoths it was behind. A G650.........hmmmm. Put my leg over it, what the hell? I not only flat footed, my knees were bent! I was sitting lower than on my 09 TW! Took her off the kickstand, felt almost as light as the TW. Started playing with switches and such, got off and looked her over. The fit and finish and overall quality is noticeably better than the Honda. The tag said it had the lowered suspension putting the seat at 30.3 inches almost a full inch lower than the TW.

Looking online the BMW is obviously more expensive but it obviously nicer.................to me :)
isn't the tank on the honda a trunk?...i don't think i've heard anyone that didn't like the bmw gs line of bikes...they can be picked up for somewhat reasonable prices used i think

·
Registered
309 Posts
I love my TW200 and my WR250r! Two different rides, but love, love, love them. If I had to pick ONLY one bike to own I'd pick the WR... It can take me on the Freeway, on the pavement, on the dirt. It is light, nimble and reliable. No having said that... I would not get ride of my TW nor my Victory Vision! <grin> ResizedWB.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
BTW, I'm pretty much in the same seat as you little brute. Looking to upgrade to something with a 'higher saddle'.

If the klx250s comes out with FI I probably will buy it brand new. The drz400 is looking pretty good right now, and my buddy has a dr650 with very tasteful upgrades. It's a bit heavy, but I took it up the same tight trail as my klx250s, because he couldn't. New riders.... lol.... It did fine, but felt like I had to just point it and commit instead of being able to nimbly attempt the climb. When it goes sideways it really goes haha
That's the thing beginning riders have to learn, "commitment." Once you are confident enough to commit, the learning curve increases exponentially and riding becomes twice as fun. A whole new world opens up for you.

I really enjoy going sideways with the tail out. Many years spent on a flat "kidney bean" shaped tracks in my early days. This is something that you have to have throttle response to do safely. Brakes don't help you much when putting the tail out there. Many "zen" moments come when sideways at speed. The T-Dub just didn't have what it takes for that.

The Kawi's and Suzuk's just need FI to get me interested. That's one reason I'm waiting for the 2016 announcements before I commit.

On a crazy side note, the KTM 390duke has 9+ inches of travel.. could throw some shinko 241's on there and a skid plate see how she does on the old dusty trail :p
I haven't sat on a KTM 390 Duke, but I've been told if you are tall like me, you won't even fit. Your knees will hit the tank where it extends out. This bike is basically off limits for the long-legged (so I'm told).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Im not certain... But I believe that the 300 motor is just a larger bore. It's otherwise an identical engine to the 250. Maybe they fixed the CCT design, I don't know.

EDIT- I was wrong. The displacement increase comes from an increase in piston stroke, not bore, according to this article. But still based on the same 249cc engine, just stroked to 286cc

Honda CBR300R: First ride on Honda's latest mini-sport - Common Tread - RevZilla
In checking that link out, I see Kawasaki makes a fuel injected, liquid cooled 296 cc (18.1 cu in) DOHC 8 valve straight twin. Now that would be an excellent motor for killer 300cc Adventure Dual Sport bike! Are you listening Kawi? Lol...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
I think if I lived where some of you do with good riding out your back door Id be looking more seriously at more dirt oriented bikes. Living in the suburbs of Atlanta means I have to go through or around ATL to get to some of the good places (not all). On the flip side, when I get to the fun places I dont want to be limited to pretty much dirt roads.......I wanna have some fun albeit at an old mans pace :)
I think that is what makes the CB500X with Rally Raid Adventure Kit appealing (even to me). Great for the 80/20 rider or someone that pretty much sticks to dirt roads and light obstacles/hill climbing. I'm more a 40/60 to 20/80 to the dirt side. A KTM 690 setup KTM 350 would be ideal, but pricey. Another reason a Honda 300L RALLY is so appealing. That will kind of do-it-all for me at a hopefully reasonable price. If I have to equip a purchase like the RALLY, then I'd start with the WR250R.

It sure seems odd that there is such a desirable gap in the small/mid cc'ed Dual Sport market that the three Japanese makers haven't filled with FI bikes yet? They know it's there, but I think timing the introduction to the economy is what they are trying to do. At least Honda has a great prospect on paper already. Kawi and Suzi just have to add FI to existing models...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Reactions: Prime

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll be making a whole thread about it! Just need to spend some time riding it and getting a good feel for it. It's a 2013 used with only 395 miles.

First impression? I made a good move. It's snappy and fast, even with stock tall gearing. I'm really going to like this thing!

edit- great article, I like what they've done with the bike. Wouldn't it be nice to have an unlimited budget for mods like that? Haha! I haven't ridden enough to try the suspension, but it feels great on road.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Prime: That's awesome man. So much drool as I stare in envy at the image on my screen ;D Are you planning any mods for the bike? Looking forward to ride reports!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah, nothing but envy :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Prime: That's awesome man. So much drool as I stare in envy at the image on my screen ;D Are you planning any mods for the bike? Looking forward to ride reports!
Thanks KJ! I'm like a kid on Christmas over here. And I feel like I got a really good deal, so I'm happy about that as well. But now that I've ridden the bike, I wouldn't have felt bad paying for a new one. It's worth it.

As for mods- yes, definitely. It already has Kenda Trak master tires on it. I know I'll need bark busters (hand guards) asap, as well as a skid plate. Also need a fender eliminator to get rid of the huge mudflap. After that, I just need to ride it and see. Maybe taller bars and suspension mods. Time will tell if those are required. I am plenty happy with the power for now. Maybe I will gear down a little bit, but again, I have to ride and see. It will be primarily a dirt machine, only seeing street to get to trails.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow they spent some money in that article, a grand on wheels and tires alone:eek:

Now a 4.7 gallon tanks would be nice, 300+ mile range :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Yeah, crazy money printing on that build. Not sure most riders would need all that. Comments are a good read too.

I'll be making a whole thread about it! Just need to spend some time riding it and getting a good feel for it. It's a 2013 used with only 395 miles.

First impression? I made a good move. It's snappy and fast, even with stock tall gearing. I'm really going to like this thing!

edit- great article, I like what they've done with the bike. Wouldn't it be nice to have an unlimited budget for mods like that? Haha! I haven't ridden enough to try the suspension, but it feels great on road.
Another 2012 WR250R with 100miles on it showed up in my area. Probably should have jumped on it! :BangHead: I noticed it's already gone today.

I'll be subscribing to your thread and watching... :thumbsup:

Cheers!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
You're pull'n 'em out of the hat today! Now I'm having to wipe off my keyboard. I'm gonna have to go buy a Bell 500 RSD helmet in preparation. Just have to come up with a KTM ca$h pile to burn...

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A KIDNEY?!

Reactions: Prime and GTG

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own an RX3 cyclone. I really like it so far. I ride predominantly off road on rocky mountainous terrain. So far so good. Dual sport tires that came on it ok but a bit scary compared to TW MONSTER TIRES. ( rides great on road). CSC is working to on more off road capable 19" front wheel. So there are more options for tires. The bike came with a lot of extras for the $$. The orig package was 15" wheels. CSC changed that at no extra cost to 17" rear 18" front. Stainless header pipe no extra chg. Crash bars, racks and luggage. Yes luggage plastic but you still have a pretty good rack system. I choose the tourfella alum. luggage. I wanted a little more room from the muffler for my soft bags and they actually are a little more sturdy. They wrap around the back fender. Best if you need to grab it and move the rear around. yes it is a bit heavy for a 250 but I wanted to get into a bigger bike without the big BMW price. I really like it. I am 5'7" and can touch the ground. They are working on a seat concepts seat for it so hopefully they will shave the sides of the seat so there is a bit more flat foot on the ground. Yes, the RX3 has a few idiocrocies I am working out during the break in period, but over all I think it is a great buy. All the folks I've had the pleasure of working with at CSC have been great. I went to CA before buying the bike and it really did feel similar to the f650gs. As far as looks go you Can't tell it isn't a BMW. one of my friends thinks it looks like a 1200 BMW. I'm not sure but it does blend in with the f650gs. You have to look. I ride with all BMW guys and people after about 15 min notice it's something different. Funny. Although the RX3 doesn't have as much power obviously as a 650, It does keep up in traffic. All that being said. Adore my 1988 tw200. He is still dear to me and I still ride him often. He was a champ on the TAT. But even putting a 15 tooth sprocket on the front to get more speed I did have trouble. The rx3's Fuel inj 4.1 gal tank is nice and 6 speed liquid cooled is such a change. Forgot to mention digital dash. You even know what gear your in. Crazy spoiled.
Anyway. I would do it again. It is really scary buying a bike not from a mainstream dealer but CSC is very helpful in locating someone to help if you don't have the technical prowess. They do have a pretty amazing tutorial section to help maintain your bike by yourself. They worked very hard doing that you can tell. No other dealer does that. Have to rely totally on owners. And if you are adventurous like me. ( of course you all are you own tw's) this will be right up your alley. I know I sound like a commercial, but I like it. I'll keep you posted as I progress.

·
Super Moderator
18,537 Posts
Pictures please

Reactions: Jon62602

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You beat me to it, Prime! It's pretty rare that I first learn of a new model from other people lol. This statement:
"According to the KTM official, building and adventure bike derived straight from the 390 Duke was impossible,"
from the following article pretty much summed up what I was thinking about converting a current 390 model: KTM 390 Adventure Expected This Autumn - autoevolution . But a whole new bike using that motor, properly built with a new frame and swing arm... yes please. I think KTM is really onto something here, especially if they can manage to keep the price tag under seven grand! This should be extremely possible, as the Duke 390 is going for only five thousand dollars. Sort of unbelievable how they are that cheap. R&D and factories in India?

From a performance perspective, there is little doubt that this will be an amazing machine, like all KTM's really. I would expect it to be 300 pounds ready to ride, at most. In theory, since the engine was first developed for road use, and since they are calling it an "adventure" bike rather than an "enduro" bike, the thing should require less maintenance than their 350 or 500. Needless to say, if this bike is brought to the U.S. for 2016 and priced competitively with the WR, I will be excruciatingly interested! The cool thing for me with this rumor is that I can basically already start researching the living crap out of it, since the motor/trans has already been out for a while. Oh yea and, according to one of these articles, there are rumors of BMW working on something similar (like a G450X done right, maybe?), which would be absolutely, totally awesome. If we do end up with new small-bore KTM and BMW dual sports in the U.S., it will be interesting to see if the Japanese big four will follow suit and finally get on the ball. And with that, I'm off to Gearing Commander and Google.

Reactions: Prime

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You're pull'n 'em out of the hat today! Now I'm having to wipe off my keyboard. I'm gonna have to go buy a Bell 500 RSD helmet in preparation. Just have to come up with a KTM ca$h pile to burn...

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A KIDNEY?!
Hell, I'll sell a kidney plus my left nut. I think if this does come to the U.S. for 2016 though, we'll probably have to wait til at least around November, maybe even January. To be honest I'm still going to be a little leery of buying a new, under-tested KTM model, haha. But like I said, the good thing is that I can find out a lot about it through 390 Duke research.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
81 - 100 of 131 Posts