TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode KLR650s for years and now I'm on a brand new 2021 TW200. There's tons of random info I like to pass on to new KLR owners, so I'm wondering if there are any little quirks of this bike that are good to know? Do they have an Achilles heel like the KLR doohickey? Bolts I need to be careful not to overtighten (like the footpeg bolts on the KLR), common electrical failures, head-scratching issues with simple solutions.. Anything I need to address with a brand new bike? It's a California model, so I think I may have to do a charcoal cannister delete..

Hope to one day be able to give answers in this place!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

My first recommendation is to replace the stock front tire, which is nicknamed the Deathwing, with something better. It has a tendency to slide out from underneath you when you least expect it, especially when you are going through soft fluffy stuff.

One friend of mine broke his collarbone and suffered for a couple years as a result, and another went down hard but luckily didn't get injured. Tires are cheap, medical bills are not.

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
Which year is going to narrow this down, and the same goes for any future questions (and answers to those who follow). As such, amending your sig line to tell us what we’re talking about goes a long way to clear things up ….. 😎

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which year is going to narrow this down, and the same goes for any future questions (and answers to those who follow). As such, amending your sig line to tell us what we’re talking about goes a long way to clear things up ….. 😎
Edited. It is a 2021!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!

My first recommendation is to replace the stock front tire, which is nicknamed the Deathwing, with something better. It has a tendency to slide out from underneath you when you least expect it, especially when you are going through soft fluffy stuff.

One friend of mine broke his collarbone and suffered for a couple years as a result, and another went down hard but luckily didn't get injured. Tires are cheap, medical bills are not.

Sam

How does the stock tire perform on concrete/asphalt roads and gravel/dirt roads?

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you go through water, do the carb vent mod. It works. Otherwise you can stall out in shallow water. With the carb vent, one can go through relatively deep water ~2'.

...and yes, they are not vents, or drains for that matter, but atmospheric pressure reference signal tubes. But no-one calls them that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How does the stock tire perform on concrete/asphalt roads and gravel/dirt roads?
It fine on solider surfaces but watch out for the losse stuff. There's something about the tread pattern in my opinion that makes it slip laterally very easily.

Sam

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lots of little bolts for routine service, such as for the oil filter cover and upper gallery oil witness hole state to torque to 7 ft-lbs. Oh please don't do this unless you like the challenge of extracting small bolt threads after twisting the heads off. It hasn't happened to me, but only because I found the warning here and on TDubsKid's Youtube channel. Torque to only 5 ft-lbs and watch for leaks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome.
First, please consider shorter nipples.

Reactions: T8RTOT

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When you do change the oil if you feel like you need a new filter, please double check that the closed end has the 4 little holes not 2. The 2 hole filters will cause oil starvation and your cam bearings will be spanked in short order.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Replace the stock chain soon as you are able.
And don't get your nipples caught between the sprocket/chain! :eek:

DID 428 VX X-Ring Chain 428x122
Part# 1403820002 | Mfg Part# 428VXX122FB

Marty

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
And welcome to the forum!

Marty

·
Registered
597 Posts
Welcome to TW land!

Do all those mods and get comfortable with the new bike and then we'll get you set up with the muffler exit mod. Gives you 10 extra horsepower and better fuel mileage.

PS... You'll never get truly comfortable on that stock TW200 seat.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
One thing you will find coming from a KLR is that the suspension isn't that great. Compounding the problem is that the bikes are shipped with too little oil in the forks, leading to bottoming. Look in the Technical Write-ups for info on the correct level for your weight, but as a benchmark a lot of us use 130mm. That is the only thing I would consider an "Achilles Heel". They are extremely reliable.

Of course you may consider some changes for your personal body type and riding style, like bar risers, wider footpegs, brush guards, a better seat, and so on. AND A SHINKO 241!!!

You can re-use the OEM filter for about 20 years and never ever have the dreaded "wrong filter in the right box" syndrome.
The info about too high torque values for the oil filter cover, the oil gallery check bolt, and the oil drain plug is right on!

I don't think the cannister delete will have any effect at all on performance and it only weighs about 6 ounces. It's a cosmetic decision.

It's a bike that going slowly on is more fun than going fast....smell the roses. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I'm a new owner as well (2021) with many questions and have found tons of answers here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to TW land!
Do all those mods and get comfortable with the new bike and then we'll get you set up with the muffler exit mod. Gives you 10 extra horsepower and better fuel mileage.
PS... You'll never get truly comfortable on that stock TW200 seat.
I have already ordered a Coleman seat pad lol

Replace the stock chain soon as you are able.
And don't get your nipples caught between the sprocket/chain! :eek:
Marty
I have read a lot about how shitty the factory chain is, getting stretched out with less than 2000 miles.. Crazy. I will definitely be getting an X ring chain. Low maintenance is worth whatever miniscule loss of power it will cause.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope you like talking to strangers at gas stations.
Hahaha hell yeah I do! I loved the crazy convos I had with other KLR owners.

It fine on solider surfaces but watch out for the losse stuff. There's something about the tread pattern in my opinion that makes it slip laterally very easily.

Sam
Well that's good to know. I will take caution if I take it out on loose dirt. If it gives me grief I will replace it, but I would like to get as much $'s worth out of the tire as I can.

If you go through water, do the carb vent mod. It works. Otherwise you can stall out in shallow water. With the carb vent, one can go through relatively deep water ~2'.
I can't see myself ever trudging through water like that, but I will keep that in mind. Thank you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lots of little bolts for routine service, such as for the oil filter cover and upper gallery oil witness hole state to torque to 7 ft-lbs. Oh please don't do this unless you like the challenge of extracting small bolt threads after twisting the heads off. It hasn't happened to me, but only because I found the warning here and on TDubsKid's Youtube channel. Torque to only 5 ft-lbs and watch for leaks.
This this this is the exact type of stuff I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Welcome.
First, please consider shorter nipples.
Hey, 1 inch isn't even erect.

When you do change the oil if you feel like you need a new filter, please double check that the closed end has the 4 little holes not 2. The 2 hole filters will cause oil starvation and your cam bearings will be spanked in short order.
Great piece of information, thank you!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts