TW200 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
welcome to the forum and where are you located? you might be sitting near fellow riders and can try their bikes to get a feel for how these can be dialed in for your personal preference.

ride on!
Dixon CA, West of Sacramento. But I would never ask to test out someone’s suspension lol. 99% chance I am 50%+ bigger than them and it won’t be right for me anyway. Wouldn’t want to cause any damage
There are a couple of things to watch out for when buying a TW directly from the dealership. Firstly, these things turn up two to a crate, guaranteed, every time. So the mechanic takes a look, decides “sod that”, and gives the pre-assembly job to “Liitle Jim”, the workshop grunt

Here on this board, we primarily deal with TW’s day in, day out, but to the dealership they are toys with little mark up, and are so simple that the “big mechanic” has got better things to play with. Heck, a couple of bolts here and there, fill it with oil, get it out of my workspace. Grunt work

So the grunt does exactly that, and typically misses things. First up, look at the clutch cable, and follow it down to where it meets the left crankcase. The cable fixes to a lever, and on that lever is a return spring. This return spring is not attached in its final working position by the factory, relying instead to have it attached correctly once the bike is in use. In other words, Little Jim, who’s never seen a TW before, sees the spring, doesn’t realise it actually needs to be set up further, and hands the bike over with a “soft clutch”

We chew over this every now and then, but as new users come on board, they are often surprised - site https://www.tw200forum.com clutch return spring - Google Search

The next one makes perfect sense when you think about it, but this is “Little Jim” – tire pressure. Given that the humble TW has about as much suspension travel as your average hedgehog, most people just look at those big bulky tires, and think “Odd”. Think about it for a moment – if you were riding a hedgehog bareback, the last thing you’d do would be to make the ride as hard as possibly by pumping up the tires to bursting point

The TW is a bit like that, and a lot of the suspension is actually in the tires. The manual states “19 psi for riders up to 170 pounds” (or something like that). “Little Jim” knows better, and puts 24 psi front and back, just like always. Sure, if you have the TW201/203 road tires and are determined to go for the land speed record on a two valve thumper, pump them up and hope you never go over a bump. But if the bike is stock, with knobblies, tone it down a bit. Many of us run below 15 psi for the trails, and not much over for the road. Not all nuts are on the bike, some of them are on the rider, and just like crates of TW’s, they come in pairs

19 psi is your starting point, adjust to body weight and riding conditions from there in either direction, but don’t leave it up some grunt in the shop …….
thank you for this. I pick the bike up this Tuesday so I will definitely check out the clutch return spring and give a look at anything else I can tell is off. Is there a thread you recommend that gives a chart for what psi is ideal for what weight of rider?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
dixon puts you in play for the nor cal nut jobs... be warned.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is there a thread you recommend that gives a chart for what psi is ideal for what weight of rider?
I dont know of one, i would say experiment and see what works best for you. I don't think its a one size fits all kind of deal...

FWIW, i like to run 20 in mine both front and rear on the street and hard packed dirt, 12 if im doing real off road. I do not like to run on the street at all with low pressure so i carry a pump....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I dont know of one, i would say experiment and see what works best for you. I don't think its a one size fits all kind of deal...

FWIW, i like to run 20 in mine both front and rear on the street and hard packed dirt, 12 if im doing real off road. I do not like to run on the street at all with low pressure so i carry a pump....
What pump do you carry and how do you power it if I may ask? And sounds good, I will have to just play around and figure out what I like. I'm going to be doing probably 50/50 pavement and hard packed dirt roads. Gotta figure out what works for both.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I carry an older version of this. Almost too big but I like the security. Pump works fine. I put smaller clips on the jump starter and have bailed out several folks on both car and bikes.

I left a 1 star review of the thing on the Amazon site. At the time there were no better options so I kept it. I would not amend my review of it, but I will quietly admit that it has served me well.

"Amazon.com: Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor, 2000 AMP Peak Jump Cable, 100 PSI Air Pump, 20000mAh Li-on Battery Jump Pack, Built-in 2 USB Ports and 2 LED Lights: Automotive" https://www.amazon.com/jfegwo-Start...r&qid=1617469574&sprefix=jump+starter&sr=8-20

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I carry an older version of this. Almost too big but I like the security. Pump works fine. I put smaller clips on the jump starter and have bailed out several folks on both car and bikes.

I left a 1 star review of the thing on the Amazon site. At the time there were no better options so I kept it. I would not amend my review of it, but I will quietly admit that it has served me well.

"Amazon.com: Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor, 2000 AMP Peak Jump Cable, 100 PSI Air Pump, 20000mAh Li-on Battery Jump Pack, Built-in 2 USB Ports and 2 LED Lights: Automotive" https://www.amazon.com/jfegwo-Start...r&qid=1617469574&sprefix=jump+starter&sr=8-20

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
It wasn't difficult to figure out which review was yours 😂😂😂 but yeah that is some BS. New model says 2000A though, wonder if it's really 1400 🤣

·
Registered
92 Posts
Plenty of good info from all. The Shinko 241 is a huge improvement over the stock tire in all respects. I bought my Tdub with 850 mi on the clock. In 3 seasons it now has 7500 trouble free fun as all get out miles. I still have the stock chain stretching along on it but will replace the chain & sprockets soon. The Tdub probably feels tiny coming off a 650KLR, but it is light & easy to pick up if it decides to take a nap. Check out TDubsKid on Youtube. He posts great DYI videos. Since you live in NorCal, play by the rules & keep the evap can. People who think Californians are crazy just don’t know who much fun crazy can be. Buy a receiver rack & haul the bike in any direction to explore so much of what makes this a great place to live!
Have as much fun as you can stand & return intact to do it again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Plenty of good info from all. The Shinko 241 is a huge improvement over the stock tire in all respects. I bought my Tdub with 850 mi on the clock. In 3 seasons it now has 7500 trouble free fun as all get out miles. I still have the stock chain stretching along on it but will replace the chain & sprockets soon. The Tdub probably feels tiny coming off a 650KLR, but it is light & easy to pick up if it decides to take a nap. Check out TDubsKid on Youtube. He posts great DYI videos. Since you live in NorCal, play by the rules & keep the evap can. People who think Californians are crazy just don’t know who much fun crazy can be. Buy a receiver rack & haul the bike in any direction to explore so much of what makes this a great place to live!
Have as much fun as you can stand & return intact to do it again.
After reading into it, I have decided to leave the charcoal cannister on. Seems much less problematic than the CA KLR650's cannisters. I miss the therapeutic aspects of motorcycle maintenance, so I'm gonna throw a chain and lower tooth rear sprocket (for more top end) on pretty quickly. I did buy a sweet ass receiver to carry it on the trailer hitch. Really overkill strength-wise, but I love that it has a pivoting tire chock and an extra long smooth ramp.

But yeah I can't wait. The KLR650 was more of a commuter and I only ever had Shinko 705s, so I never hit much dirt. That will be 75% of the fun with the TW though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Plenty of great dirt to be found in the Mendocino National Forest both from the east out of Stonyford/Fout Springs & from the south out of Upper Lake. Also check out Cow Mountain OHV area east of Ukiah.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode KLR650s for years and now I'm on a brand new 2021 TW200. There's tons of random info I like to pass on to new KLR owners, so I'm wondering if there are any little quirks of this bike that are good to know? Do they have an Achilles heel like the KLR doohickey? Bolts I need to be careful not to overtighten (like the footpeg bolts on the KLR), common electrical failures, head-scratching issues with simple solutions.. Anything I need to address with a brand new bike? It's a California model, so I think I may have to do a charcoal cannister delete..

Hope to one day be able to give answers in this place!
Just my 2 cents worth. I have 2 TW’s and they don’t like to be left sitting in a hot garage with gasoline with ethanol in it because that’ll bung up your carb. If you ride it very often the ok but if it sits a long time, the little idle jet in the carb will get bunged up and the hole is sooo small, it’s just easier to replace it and not even try to clean it.
That said, it’ll will run like a champ if you ride it often. Congrats on your ne2 bike... a GOOD choice 👍🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rode KLR650s for years and now I'm on a brand new 2021 TW200. There's tons of random info I like to pass on to new KLR owners, so I'm wondering if there are any little quirks of this bike that are good to know? Do they have an Achilles heel like the KLR doohickey? Bolts I need to be careful not to overtighten (like the footpeg bolts on the KLR), common electrical failures, head-scratching issues with simple solutions.. Anything I need to address with a brand new bike? It's a California model, so I think I may have to do a charcoal cannister delete..

Hope to one day be able to give answers in this place!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first two things I did, was first, I had them replace the front stock tire to a SHINKO SR 241 130/18 – 80 FRONT TIRE right at the dealership.
The second, as soon as I got home, I replaced the skid plate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The first two things I did, was first, I had them replace the front stock tire to a SHINKO SR 241 130/18 – 80 FRONT TIRE right at the dealership.
The second, as soon as I got home, I replaced the skid plate.
I went all around with the stock tire last night and had no issues, but I will keep the death wing in mind and replace it if and whenever necessary. I already got my skid plate, will be installing it this weekend. Super nice black anodized Ricochet, looks great.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts