TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to riding and have a question about the PPE you guys where and the order of Importance.

Balling on a budget here so in y'alls opinion besides a helmet what protective clothing should be bought in what order. My riding is 85% off road on dirt/gravel/sand roads.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey guys, new to riding and have a question about the PPE you guys where and the order of Importance.

Balling on a budget here so in y'alls opinion besides a helmet what protective clothing should be bought in what order. My riding is 85% off road on dirt/gravel/sand roads.
Statistically, your legs/ feet are the most likely to be injured. Speaking from my own experience, that is correct. Good boots. But I'd also get good gloves, since just about any "get off" will involve putting your hands out to protect yourself & doing damned near anything requires the use of your hands. And even decent gloves are not that expensive. Compare the cost of gear to the cost of medical treatment. Gear is always cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
1. Helmet
2. Jacket
3. Gloves
4. Armored pants
5. Boots

As you are able or as you find what you like the most, upgrade along the way.

Always use at least a Helmet, Jacket and Gloves.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Gloves, armored jacket, boots. All are important, it just depends on which body part you hit when you go down. You decide, there is no priority on safety.

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
What they said ^^^^

Boots that will protect your feet. Think jamming your foot between a rock and swingarm or ground and swingarm. You'll want these boots to be stiff enough like MX/ATV boots. Soft sided boots are easier to walk in, but not as protective if you hit something hard like a rock.

Shin/knee guards to protect what the boots can't.

Gloves

Then as money permits;

Chest/shoulder protector
Elbow guards
Riding pants to help protect your legs from getting scratched by near trail bushes, tree's, and mountain lions. I wear MX pants most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
What are some trusted online vendors y'all like to use.
If you have a CycleGear nearby, you may want to go look there. They tend to have a lot of products and offer a good guarantee as well, plus you can try on lots of stuff and buy there or after trying, order online somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts
Most jackets come with some form of armour in them anyway - doesn't have to be expensive

Think of the things (body parts) you can't easily fiix - helmet first

You're likely to go down hands first - gloves

Next vulnerable point (especially trail riding) is your feet and ankles - boots - excellent advice above

And somewhere in there - Jacket before jeans

Whatever you choose - there's no real way you can anticipate any injury - best to be prepared for everything - until then you're taking "shortcuts" - and that's a situation that can back-fire (badly) on anyone .......

·
Registered
15 Posts
CE rated armor is trickling down into a lot of stuff. No reason not to have it. Cycle gear is OK, depends on how big of a cycle gear you get. Ours is on the Small side, I have seen some big ones with tons of selection. Anyway, every Cycle gear I have been to has a clearance rack. I picked up a $400 jacket for under $200 simply because they special ordered it for someone and it didn't fit. Honestly, less than full gear is kind of silly.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Get a good pare of boots and look for a cheap pare of old football pants with the thigh, tail bone and knee pads. I wear those like long underwear under some Army BDUs for heavy/hard trail riding.

I'm 60 yo so things break easier at my age.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Increase your Budget on PPE, hospital bill are more expensive.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Admiral mentioned shin/knee guards. I'd add elbow guards having equal importance. The guards alone are cheap and comfortable. My left elbow is locked from a bike accident. We tend to put our arm up to protect our face when we're about to hit something.

And I agree with the other protection mentioned above too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1. Helmet
2. Jacket
3. Gloves
4. Armored pants
5. Boots

As you are able or as you find what you like the most, upgrade along the way.

Always use at least a Helmet, Jacket and Gloves.
For street I agree with this list, for offroad like the OP stated is 85% of his riding, I think boots are number two after helmet. You don't have to crash to break a foot offroad.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
There goes your budget $350 for boots. After seeing the trails on our VA ride coming up I think I need waterproof boots. I remember you guys going on about a particular boot that you liked. I don't remember the brand.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
For street I agree with this list, for offroad like the OP stated is 85% of his riding, I think boots are number two after helmet. You don't have to crash to break a foot offroad.
Yep, you are right. I was thinking street. Thanks!! :D

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
779 Posts
Helemt, Boots, Gloves, Pants, then the rest. Motocycle Closeouts has some great deals at times.

My next purchase is a new style football girdle. Gives you hips, kness, tailbone and thighs in lightwiethm breathable package. Less than $50 on Amazon. They fit nicely under MX pants too!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Boots are a must !

I love my adventure boots, but I have hurt my foot twice wearing them.
If I was wearing any other non protective foot wear, I would have broken my foot.
Will be wearing my MX boots next time I go out.

Check out the six six one body armour for mountain biking. If it is hot out it breathes better than my mesh armoured jacket.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
+1! I've been hit with the smallest branch and I know it could have done ALOT more damage if I had't been wearing decent boots.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What are some trusted online vendors y'all like to use.
Revzilla. Very good return policy, free shipping over $40 spent, fast shipping. I just got a new pair of boots (Forma Adventure) and Klim 50 Kevlar Jeans from them. Ordered on Sunday, here by Thursday. Good video reviews, good selection, great prices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts