TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the exhaust today for a paintjob and snapped this picture...
Im not the best engine guy...but know you can tell how a 2 stroke motor is running by pulling the exhaust and looking into the cylinder. is there any info that can be gained by looking at this picture ? Some build up in there is normal right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'd say that looks pretty normal if anything it could be lean but I'm leaning to normal. If it were black soot you would be running rich and if oily up you be burning oil. Your spark plug would really be a better indicator as far as air fuel mix goes. If it's white like that you are too lean. If it's brown your good to go.

Here is a shot of mine with the valves out for a comparison. This is the exhaust and it was burning oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
You have too much time on your hands, is what I think. Paint the exhaust pipe, make the outside look nice, and don't worry about the inside of the engine -- that's my advice. These are very tough little motors. I have learned that as long as the exhaust gas looks good -- all is good.

However, I do know how you feel. I like to work on my bike and the TW doesn't need as much maintenance as I can provide. (Here in Montana I only get 7 or 8 months of riding and the rest is in-shop "fun").

Solution? Find a broken down TW or snow blower to rebuild each winter. This way, I don't spend more than I should on the "primary" TW and I get to keep wrenching on something. Heaven!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts