TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on our 89 tdub and we have noticed that the exhaust pipe gets super hot very quickly
My 2013 doesn't heat up fast like that
Is this this normal?
Im talking about the front of the pipe,close to where it connects to the head,about where it bends
Thanks for any info....

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Is it clearing the back of the muffler properly? By this I mean is the spark arrestor clogged up and the exhaust is not flowing out of the muffler easily.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
It's running leaner than the other.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I put my hand back there its making it out ok. tried removing the spark arrestor, but the phillips screw is stripped. Thinking I may drill it out to inspect

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure Tommy,im new to all the carb stuff. i have a rebuild kit on the way. Gonna have a yamaha guy rebuild it for me

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
If he adjusts everything right, it should purr like a kitten and won't get so hot. Keep us posted. Might want to check the valves along with the carb work.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
If I put my hand back there its making it out ok. tried removing the spark arrestor, but the phillips screw is stripped. Thinking I may drill it out to inspect
My bike is 5 weeks old and I had to drill mine out. I had the correct screwdriver bit and when it would not budge I warmed it up a bit with a torch which did not help. I can't believe for a bike that you will pay $5,000 for Yamaha is sooooo cheap with some of the hardware.

Tom

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It already purs like a kitten Tommy... Choke it in the morning,starts rite up! Then rite to half choke for 10 seconds then no choke idles nice and low and quiet
I also purchased the manifold to carb sealing o-ring to go along with the carb rebuild. I bought the carb rebuild kit and the diaphragm kit from pro cycle.
All that stuff will be here on Saturday.
Im gonna drill out that screw and inspect that arrestor for sure. Also gonna remove my screw from the arrestor on my 2013 and hit the threads with anti seize before its too late!

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
Good call on the procycle rebuild kits. I got mine there and did it a few months ago. Bike runs better and faster than I ever thought possible.

It already purs like a kitten Tommy... Choke it in the morning,starts rite up! Then rite to half choke for 10 seconds then no choke idles nice and low and quiet
I also purchased the manifold to carb sealing o-ring to go along with the carb rebuild. I bought the carb rebuild kit and the diaphragm kit from pro cycle.
All that stuff will be here on Saturday.
Im gonna drill out that screw and inspect that arrestor for sure. Also gonna remove my screw from the arrestor on my 2013 and hit the threads with anti seize before its too late!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
You paid $40 or $50 for the ProCycle carb kit?

BWAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Never met a TW yet I couldn't tune with the stock pilot jet. 95% of 49-state TWs I've worked on needed a main jet 2 sizes bigger than stock. the exception was my cousin who lives at high altitudes and the stock jet was fine. Rural King has flat washers about 2 cents each. Need a thinner spacer, use a flat piece of steel and a hammer to flatten on out a bit. Better yet, cut grooves in the original needle for adjustability. Put a cutting wheel on a Dremel, put the Dremel in a vice, chuck the needle in a drill, spin it up, and touch it to the wheel. Instant groove.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's oem parts! What's wrong with me making my carb just a little more dependable? Why not do the diaphragm?
Its 25 years old

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant find where to buy just a single jet 2 sizes bigger. Do you have the link for the flat washers?
Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
So HOLD ON 72
What is the conclusion ?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She was way too lean. After carb rebuild she is running great. I still need to get a muffler and arrestor though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts