TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10717427_10203817392507332_1820522090_n.jpg Yellow or 10719257_10203817401547558_1233651470_n.jpg Clear cover.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If both covers need to be removed for operation, I'd go with the yellow. If you can operate the lights with the clear covers and it's not against the law there (it is in NJ...) I'd go with the clear to have the ability to turn them on at will.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saved $300. doing it myself and getting free shipping on Amazon. RBM I am going with the Clear that way I will see if I accidently leave them on and not kill the battery, in AZ we can ride Quads and razors on the street so lights are not a problem.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If both covers need to be removed for operation, I'd go with the yellow. If you can operate the lights with the clear covers and it's not against the law there (it is in NJ...) I'd go with the clear to have the ability to turn them on at will.
What's against the law? Still? I don't know about that. The last 5 or 6 years, they only checked emissions. I go to the State Inspection Station, with big tires that stick out, bald as hell, 4 spot lights on bumper, not covered, and passed with my friend's old land cruiser. They don't check anything but emissions lately. Not in Plainfield at least. I was shocked both times.

I like the yellow BTW....:)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
You know the deal... Drive like an ass and you'll find out real quick if they are legal or not. :BangHead:

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
^^^^ Everything is Illegal in California, except of course, Illegals....:cool:

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In California, those high intensity lights are illegal. That is why the covers are made in the first place; to cover them when on the public roadways. Those 'clear' covers are sure to give an LEO cause to pull you over. I don't know if they are legal, but why give an LEO any reason to pull you over? More likely, he'll find something else to write up if not the lights. Check your local laws as well as the laws in states you may be traveling in.

Personally, I prefer the white HELLA covers;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9WHS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
KC- Made in the USA Williams Arizona.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
What's against the law? Still? I don't know about that. The last 5 or 6 years, they only checked emissions. I go to the State Inspection Station, with big tires that stick out, bald as hell, 4 spot lights on bumper, not covered, and passed with my friend's old land cruiser. They don't check anything but emissions lately. Not in Plainfield at least. I was shocked both times.

I like the yellow BTW....:)
They must not bother with it any longer... 20 or more years ago when I had them on a truck they broke my balls about it and failed me...

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The two lights are 130 watts and 150,000 candlepower driving lights and I will be adding two 130 watts 285,000 candlepower spots this weekend. I will start my desert camping with the TW this month Head out Friday night after work it will be dark set up camp and ride.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
For offroad use the higher the lights are mounted the better they work. Mounted low you'll see lots of shadows behind objects lower than the lights and all kinds of demons can live in small shadows. Mounted high, no shadows of objects you can see over will be visible. I prefer a light bar far enough behind the top of the windshield that the roof blocks any spurious rays from glaring on the hood, but not so far I see a shadow in front of the truck. But what do I know, my only cage racing in the desert was a Class 6 Maverick, which really isn't much of a racer. Also, I'd forego the spots and get drivings instead. The spot beams are so narrow they light up way down the road at racing speeds, and are pretty much useless for seeing that pronghorn about 50 feet ahead and 3 feet to the side about to commit suicide. A good spotlight in the A pillar is a lot better at doing everything spot beams (also called pencil beams) can do because you can turn it everywhichaway to chase moving targets. I used to run 6 driving beams on the roof and 2 floods on the brush guard on the Maverick and that worked well because the car wasn't really that fast. I'd run all 6 driving on the beach, 4 driving and the floods over the technical stuff.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For offroad use the higher the lights are mounted the better they work. Mounted low you'll see lots of shadows behind objects lower than the lights and all kinds of demons can live in small shadows. Mounted high, no shadows of objects you can see over will be visible. I prefer a light bar far enough behind the top of the windshield that the roof blocks any spurious rays from glaring on the hood, but not so far I see a shadow in front of the truck. But what do I know, my only cage racing in the desert was a Class 6 Maverick, which really isn't much of a racer. Also, I'd forego the spots and get drivings instead. The spot beams are so narrow they light up way down the road at racing speeds, and are pretty much useless for seeing that pronghorn about 50 feet ahead and 3 feet to the side about to commit suicide. A good spotlight in the A pillar is a lot better at doing everything spot beams (also called pencil beams) can do because you can turn it everywhichaway to chase moving targets. I used to run 6 driving beams on the roof and 2 floods on the brush guard on the Maverick and that worked well because the car wasn't really that fast. I'd run all 6 driving on the beach, 4 driving and the floods over the technical stuff.
This is my retirement truck I do not want a roof bar the truck lights are good and the two driving KC's are good I am going to put the spots on the outer bar between the truck headlights and driving lights my desert camping is flat no trees I will do a gopro next trip on the lights I agree lights up high is much better but this is what I will go with. 10643451_10203638926845802_1083618363_n.jpg roll bar is out later I might put a rack on the shell and put a light bar on it. I appreciate your input. 10466842_10203093738976446_1270357513_n.jpg

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My truck with some qwerty music

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Bluegrass? Really? I don't do bluegrass. Classical, mellow rock from the '60s and '70s, techno, southern rock, even some rap (not gangsta), ..., surely you can be less insulting than bluegrass.

EDIT: How about 1812 Overture or Ride of the Valkyries?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the other lights on. 10731372_10203883513520316_804242596_o.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts