TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It has a style that if someone here did a one-off throwing a bunch of parts together it wouldn't be bad.
But making multiples at $6,000.00 a pop, Hipster City.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Looks like they're going for an old school scrambler. Hell, their entire lineup is based on nostalgia for old-school designs.

The price is steep for such a simple bike, but right this minute, except for the engine, it's sourced and built in America. IF the quality and support is any good, I wouldn't mind paying that much because it supports an American company. Small businesses like this need our support to be able to compete with larger companies that outsource overseas.

Cleveland Cyclewerks has a comparable scrambler that looks better for about half that price. HOWEVER, they've grown enough that they now source many parts globally and assemble their bikes in China. Would I still buy one of their motorcycles? Yes, because I could get 2 for the same price as one of the Janus bikes, know I'm still supporting an original American small business, and know they are doing well enough to have a thriving overseas business so I could trust the quality and reliability they offer.

Janus may eventually reach the point where they can provide better machines for less money, but for now, I would take a wait and see attitude when it comes to this new company.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I want the leading link forks on my '99 TW, and 100 more cc's. And I know, a lot of you don't like leading link forks. I have never owned a set, and probably never will.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had leading link forks on my desert racer Hodaka back in '69 and they were great for the time because they gave 8" of front suspension when the very best race bikes only had 6".
But, the forks on the Janus are stupid because of the lower shock mounting location limits the travel to the shock stroke, so 4" MAX.
My forks had the lower shock mount half the way between the axle and the pivot point which doubled the shock stroke at the axle.

The swingarm on my Hodaka was also extended 2" behind the shock mount to increase the travel of the rear wheel.

The rest of the Janus bike is ok, but certainly not worth the asking price.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wonder why they don't show the full landing on any of those jumps!
Because it crash bottomed out the front suspension.
In the video you can see how little suspension travel there is left with him riding along on smooth ground.
If they are using 4" stroke shocks on the forks, at least 1" of that is the rubber bumper cushion to prevent hard metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
If they want to go retro..How about a modern twist on a XL-500 Honda? Fuel injection,but keep the twin shocks and low seat height. Make dual-sport fun again for us short legged folks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
if they can make money selling it then good for them; and it is special and unique, i'd love to see one without having to own it. but for me i wouldn't want to pay that much for such old suspension and other old tech (...says the guy who bought a 92 KLR & a 93 Katana :cool:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
NO, NO, NO. This looks like some Chinese thing trying to copy a real off-roader (like our beloved TW's). Not for me. Think its ugly...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts