144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley Davidson made in China
Is this the start now of the demise of the original American iron hoarse :cry:

F4A05063-71E6-43AF-9671-7E1999C4E469.png

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

not the American Iron Horse one might assume....

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That's a nice looking bike. They have totally outpriced many riders with the bigger is better and the average person can't afford them. I don't think they can live on their name alone anymore. Harley has to come out with an affordable ride at a reasonable price. This type of bike could be a big seller world wide if they don't just sell them overseas.

·
Banned
43 Posts
The main reason people bought Harleys was because they are made in America. They aren't made in America anymore. They aren't cool anymore. They are dead. They can't compete with the japs, those industrious little people.
Zeros are made in America, though.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Harley's have been international bikes for some time. Forks and shocks made in Japan. Pistons made in Germany. Wheels made overseas and most of their motor clothes made in China.It's nothing new.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
yea, back in the day we all whined when the company was sold to AMF....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another Malfunction? Back when engines were put together missing gaskets?
:oops: Really !!! Missing gaskets etc , I don’t know that much about them tbh, as they were a rarity in England ( uk) when I was growing up , we had a bit of a boom with harleys flooding the uk market back in the late 1980’s , then it tailed off pretty much when the v- rod model came out , I couldn’t afford a Harley back then but did have a 1975 triumph t140 right hand gear change us style model , it got many admirers when parked up , but it could not keep up with the big jap 4 cyl engines back in 80-90’s that all my friends had , it always ended up either blowing up or leaking oil everywhere or bits falling off it , I ended up swapping it in bits as it had decided to destroy one of its pistons and scored barrel so needed re boring for a liquid cooled yam 350 with expansion chambers on it and cash , I wish I still had the yam, the triumph had the looks and sound but came with the problem of you always spending money on it or rebuilding it, and it was not happy at speeds over 80 mph, the jap stuff no problem

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a new Harley in 1990 and found a sticker on the speedometer that said Made in China.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
When A.M.F. bought Harley they thought you could build bikes as fast a bowling balls. So much pressure was put on the line workers that mistakes were very common. So yes bikes came into dealerships missing gaskets,bolts not tighten down,etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When A.M.F. bought Harley they thought you could build bikes as fast a bowling balls. So much pressure was put on the line workers that mistakes were very common. So yes bikes came into dealerships missing gaskets,bolts not tighten down,etc.
? Ok, it’s sounds like my place of work , it doesn’t matter how hard or fast you work or you smash your daily / monthly target they still want more!!!!, otherwise you are not efficient and are a drain on the company ,the more you do the more they expect, you don’t get anymore appreciation ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts