TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A crack appeared on my Radian, Pirelli sport demon tire a while back. It started going further so I changed it out today. What do you think caused this? It was not cut or abused. It just appeared a while back. The inside of the tire looks fully intact. It is jagged like a tire failure not straight like a cut.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I'm glad you noticed that and took care of it. That's the type of thing that injures and kills riders. Another reason pre ride inspection is important.

How many of us really take the time for pre-ride inspection?

It would be good to hear what others do...

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Generally speaking, I just stick a toe under the chain – the rest is instinctive

Suspension, brakes, tire pressures, fuel level, engine response (noise etc) - and “on the fly” before I get to the end of the drive

I do check the lights as it’s warming up on the sidestand – and the oil level before even starting it – but it’s so instinctive it’s hard to say

Tire failures like this should be relatively rare, but certainly worth checking for – personally I would have thrown it out as soon as the crack appeared rather than wait to see if it got any worse.

The TW is prone to picking up flint around here, which can dig in if left …….

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Our bikes are pretty new and I did good prep before Moab, but I should have done better pre-ride inspection there.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I'm kind of guilty too. I use Purples method if truth be told. Kick the chain and go. Lol. BUT! I check everything when I do the oil and that's every 1K miles so I guess I'm not that bad.

I was way better before I went to an o-ring chain though. I had to screw with that non o-ring chain so often.. jeeze my whole bike was cleaner and better cared for before I went o-ring.. :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to take it to a Pirelli dealer this week and see if they would like it sent in for investigation. It was getting worn some but would have gone a couple more years without that crack.

·
Registered
322 Posts
With that age and storage I'd say it is a manufacturing issue or defect if nothing sharp was ran over nor did it experience any hard impacts and not over-heated. It does look like the belts/tread? are separating as opposed to a cut.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm glad you noticed that and took care of it. That's the type of thing that injures and kills riders. Another reason pre ride inspection is important.

How many of us really take the time for pre-ride inspection?

It would be good to hear what others do...
I do a pre-ride inspection every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts