TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm wondering what people carry to patch tubes. I've know I should be carrying something but running into an unfortunate ATVer with a flat on the trail last weekend moved this up my priority list. I'm not riding anywhere I couldn't walk out of if I absolutely had to but I'd obviously rather ride. My original plan was to carry spare tubes but now that I have them they're larger and heavier than I expected and not something I'd want to carry unless I was on a longer trip. I see various patch kits out there. Is one better than another? What do you carry?

Thanks

Picture showing tube size for future readers
tw tubes.jpg

Potential solutions
517TbRFMnHL._AA160_.jpg
51-KecqwrmL._AA160_.jpg

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat and a pump. I hope it's just enough to get me home.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I' m with TopPredator. Having a spare tube and getting it into the tire are two distinct things. Unless I run over a machete blade or something similar, I'm counting on some Slime and an air pump allowing me to limp home and closer to a tire machine. I won't leave Slime in the tire, but I'll gladly ride home with gratitude for quick fixes. I've seen my buddy having to be rescued by his wife twice, despite how prepared he was with tool, tubes, and pumps. He just needed to limp home with reduced leakage. Tom

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Many members use RIDE-ON .....
Yup, Ride-On and a prayer...'cause I know I'll never get that rear tube offa there to use a patch kit without some help from a buddy. Front's a reasonable affair though, and more likely to have a flat than that thick rear...... 10,500 miles and still knocking on wood.:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just educating myself, I was reading the Fix-a-Flat FAQ's and it said that Fix-a-Flat was for non-motorcycle tires only. Can anyone clarify? Is it still a decent product to carry in an emergency. Spooning tires in the outback is not something I would find timely or fun.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Just educating myself, I was reading the Fix-a-Flat FAQ's and it said that Fix-a-Flat was for non-motorcycle tires only. Can anyone clarify? Is it still a decent product to carry in an emergency. Spooning tires in the outback is not something I would find timely or fun.
Probably because Fix a flat is a temp fix. Who in there right mind would trust that S^#t for very long on a motorcycle. I guarantee I'm going to roll slow if I ever use it. Get home and replace the tube.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
A rider at the last SLO (actually it was Santa Margarita) gathering had a flat. He took plastic zip ties and secured the tire to the rim and rode back to camp. As the zip ties wore out he had to stop and replace them but he reported it was like riding on a regular tire, or close enough to it he wasn't worried. I have never tried it or heard of it being done anywhere else but I now carry plastic zip ties big enough to secure the tire to the rim.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Fix-a-Flat is for tubeless tires, that's why. (And the corporate lawyers hate motorcycles :mad:). Ride-on claims it will work in tubed tires, just not as well as in tubeless. This all depends on what kind of puncture you get....the smaller the more likely it is it will get you home.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
My personal take on it, is that the foam can stuff that re-inflates your tire is not recommended for motor-cycles, because no company in their right minds wants to be responsible for a subsequent "sudden flat" on a vehicle that only has two wheels in the first place.

As I believe I've said before - another issue is that that stuff will disintegrate any older standard type "patches" previously applied - tubed or not (been there, done that) .........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts