TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive often wondered what dealerships and local motorcycle shops charge for servicing motorcycles. It seems to me that if a person is not mechanical at all and only takes there motorcycle to the shop that it wouldn't take long to have some hefty expenses. Not to mention how long it takes to get your bike back from the shop. What is your experience on this topic?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
90 bucks an hour...

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Ive often wondered what dealerships and local motorcycle shops charge for servicing motorcycles. It seems to me that if a person is not mechanical at all and only takes there motorcycle to the shop that it wouldn't take long to have some hefty expenses. Not to mention how long it takes to get your bike back from the shop. What is your experience on this topic?
Time of year dictates how long the shop will have your bike, spring being the worst. My two local dealerships are now up to $80 an hour and that is not nearly as bad as their parts markups!!!

Tom

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
$85.00 an hour here in the NYC 'burbs.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
What chaps my A** is that you pay a mechanic to learn how to work on your bike. One of the most simple engines out there and they work on it like they are working on a Boeing 747 and charge you way too much for their learning curve... I don't mind paying for service, but you had better worked on one before. I shouldn't have to tell you how to do it... Geez

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Around here its over $100 an hour for service at most dealerships that i have seen.

I do use my local dealer to do some service on my Ducati. I always have them do tires since i do not have the equipment to do them myself, nor do i want to risk messing up a rim that costs ~1000 to replace. I also have them do the annual service that includes an oil change, coolant flush, brake and clutch flush and a bolt check on the entire bike. Normally i have them do tires as well at the same time since i generally need them. The annual service part costs ~400 bucks and that includes the oil,filter,coolant and brake fluid etc. Tires are another 600 bucks. I also have them do the every 15k mile valve adjustments/belt replacement since they are just flat out a pain to do and i simply do not want to do it myself, not that i cant i just have no desire to tear the bike down that far. That is an involved service that costs like a grand since it takes like 6 hours to do plus parts. My dealer is small and the service dept is fantastic, they generally only have the bike a day or two max.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Some things would cost a ton, some would not be so bad. But it would depend on the shop too.

I'm not a licensed anything but my dad never gave me too much of a hard time when he came out to the garage and found his tools scattered on the floor and something or other all torn apart because...well, just because.
As time went on, more and more of the things that got torn apart actually got put back together...and some of them even worked.

Everybody's different, but if you have the intelligence to make it through life, and you have enough of an interest in motorcycles to own one, there is pretty much nothing you couldn't do to one with a basic tool kit.

My son is 27, and a bunch of years I told him, people your age should take a short course on how to: start a flooded lawnmower, change a belt on a snowblower, install a ceiling fan, and change the oil in your lawn mower/lawn tractor/snowblower, etc. And the ones that took that course and liked it could open a business and be millionaires because none of these beard-growing lumberjack-posing people are going to have the first clue how to do ANY of those things themselves.

I feel that the shops are for the folks that have the bucks, have the big-buck bikes, and don't bat an eye spending $500 at the dealer 'getting it out' in the spring. Myself, I'd much sooner spend a couple evenings out in the shed, get my hands dirty, bleed a little bit, and learn. Hell, I never rode a bike until AFTER I brought mine home on a trailer. But it's all just nuts and bolts...really when you really shake it down, there's nothing complicated about our bikes. Short of actual engine work, there's absolutely no reason that Average Joe can't do his own work. Take an hour and watch YouTube...I'm will to bet that if you need to do something, there's likely someone that has a video on YouTube that explains how to do it, from 3 different camera angles. Spend a couple hours learning a skill that you'll have for life.

I know there are dozens of videos on how to change a motorcycle tire, chain maintenance and lubing and adjusting.... Friends and I laugh..."How the heck did we fix anything before YouTube?"
We're in the information age, and anything we could possibly need to know is seconds away at our fingertips.....I can't understand people taking their bikes to the shop for things they could build skills and easily do themselves.
But, yes....some people live in an apartment and have no place that they can do any work....

Sorry...I'm in one of those moods. hehe

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
$95 here in MN. Also found this posted by the dealer:

View attachment 100105
I'm sure the Hell not a mechanic...but if I couldn't change my own oil, plugs, tighten chain, etc....I would sure the Hell learn quick, especially at those prices....:sad3:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What chaps my A** is that you pay a mechanic to learn how to work on your bike. One of the most simple engines out there and they work on it like they are working on a Boeing 747 and charge you way too much for their learning curve... I don't mind paying for service, but you had better worked on one before. I shouldn't have to tell you how to do it... Geez

I feel the same way...say for instance if I took my 2006 in for a base gasket. They wouldn't know Yamaha improved it in 2010 and they would order a 2006, then what if they installed the wrong oil filter without the holes. Totally screwed.

In my job of repairing office equipment I get paid to learn all the time. I always say, if I can get the covers off the equipment without the client seeing me I'm good to go. It use to be that everything was held on my screws, now most of the printer have hidden tabs which makes it a real challenge even when I have the tech manual.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I do almost everything myself. Did get stuck on my KDX 200 forks this week (two specialized tools are no longer avaialable and I could not get the service completed without them). The local race shop is doing the whole job for $125. In this case, it would have been cheaper to start with if I took it to them instead of ordering parts, tools, back ordering, driving around trying to get the tools etc... Moral of the strory, I think it depends on the bike, the job and if you have good aftermarket or independent options in your area as well.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
$90/hr here in Hailey. The only thing I let the dealership do is mount tires because I'm too lazy. I take off the wheel and haul it over to them...saves $10. However, I have been twiddling wrenches since I was 8, and by now all the normal maintenance items on a TW are simple for me. My first two or three mechanical attempts at that early age were not nearly so easy....:eek: :( Some very costly lessons for an eight year old: WAAAHHH, I just trashed the engine on my Go-Cart:mad:....whaddya mean you won't buy me another one Dad? :p

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
$90/hr here in Hailey. The only thing I let the dealership do is mount tires because I'm too lazy. I take off the wheel and haul it over to them...saves $10. However, I have been twiddling wrenches since I was 8, and by now all the normal maintenance items on a TW are simple for me. My first two or three mechanical attempts at that early age were not nearly so easy....:eek: :( Some very costly lessons for an eight year old: WAAAHHH, I just trashed the engine on my Go-Cart:mad:....whaddya mean you won't buy me another one Dad? :p
Love it! I will always remember my early obsession with tinkering and I distinctly remember the surprise I felt when I took my fathers Mitchell fishing reel apart! Who knew just how many spring loaded pieces were in there! I remember my dad's surprise as well:angryfire:

Tom

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have always though I could fix it twice if I mess up the first time and still cost less than paying someone and have to still fix it.
I have been sort of a mechanic for years.
My dad give me an old horizontal shaft motor to play with when I was about 10. I work on Aircraft in the Air Force and was a certified warranty repair man for Brigg and Stratton for Western Auto after I retired from Chrysler. I now play with Flat head Fords and Motorcycles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was short on time and needed to get rid of the death wings on my two TWs so I brought the two bikes plus two new tubes and two new tires to my favorite motorbike shop. They charge $40 per bike. That was a lot cheaper than any of the other local shops. They said it didn't matter if the wheels were on or off the bikes and if they were front or rear wheel wheels: $40. Bikes turned around in one day.

I also took my '89 TW smurf in to the same shop for a super grabby front drum brake issue. Earlier I tried adjusting the cable but gave up when my adjustments had no effect. They figured out the cable was shot and installed a new one for me. Works perfect and I was happy with the repair bill, but don't recall the total.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
This thread should be titled "Why I own a TW". Even a cave man can do it on most of the normal maintenance. Right here we have guys and gals who are happy to help you through even some of the real mechanical challenges.

I ran a shop and we did have one real and highly trained mechanic and a few wrench monkeys who were impressed with themselves but didn't know shit. They were the ones who did oil changes and tire swaps after the mechanic trained them. $75/hour was the shop rate and we had a book, hour manual, telling us how long each service should take. Change the front brake pads on your car and the first side takes twice as long as the second because you learn on side one.

What chaps my ass is when I inspect the shops work and find things that were not done right or just half done. Traveling across country back in 1970 we stopped at Jiffy Lube for a quick oil and filter change. Hit the road and got ten miles when the oil light came on. The dim wit forgot to tighten the filter and the entire undercarriage of the car and the trailer we were towing was bathed in it. They did send a guy out to fix it on the spot, refunded our money and paid for a car and trailer wash. A ten minute oil change turned into a 4 hour delay in our travel and could have been a disaster.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts