TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased the bike a couple of years ago, it had the early knobby tires on it, but I replaced the rear one last year with the one (I don't recall, off hand, what all of the Bridgestone TW3x #'s are) that superseded the original knobby, which is not available anymore. I am really happy with it, as it is MUCH more roadable than the original one that it had replaced, but is still great for off-road use. Now it is time to replace the front one. But this is my dilemma: The last time I checked, I could not find a more roadable Bridgestone replacement for the front knobby. Did Bridgestone make a replacement tire (more roadable tread) for the original front knobby? If so, what is the # for it? I know that there are "street" tires available for both front and rear, but since I do a lot of off-road riding, I am NOT interested in those.

If no updated front tire is available from Bridgestone, I need to come up with something suitable, as I am sick of the zinging sound that the original front knobby makes, when driven on pavement - plus it seems to wear down fast

(and in a saw-tooth fashion) when driven on pavement, when there is a lot of stopping required. I know that since the front tire size is 130x18, there are many more options than one would have for the odd-sized rear one. Any suggestions on what to go with on the front, considering that my riding is basically 50/50 on/off road?

BTW, I am NOT a new user on this forum. For some reason, I was unable to log in under my former user name (the-wild-man), and I was not able to use my email address to check if my password was correct, so I had to re-register as new user.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
BTW, I am NOT a new user on this forum. For some reason, I was unable to log in under my former user name (the-wild-man), and I was not able to use my email address to check if my password was correct, so I had to re-register as new user.

Welcome back!

You obviously weren't around for teh big server upgrade.

New software, new buttons to play with, and yeah... everyone had to start over as a newbie.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome back!

You obviously weren't around for teh big server upgrade.

New software, new buttons to play with, and yeah... everyone had to start over as a newbie.

Yea, I'm now picking up on the fact that something happened around the middle of july, as there are NO users who have been around longer than that.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have the Maxxis 6006 in 130/80-18 and I love it. My Dad has the Dunlop 606 in 120/90-18 and he loves his. These are much more aggressive than the original knobby. So you want a tire thats between the stock front knobby and the street tire?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
For a new front tire i went with a Michelin T63 rear tire and ran it backwards on the front of my tdub. It is speed rated at over 100mph [more than the tdub will ever do].I have had it on for about a year now and it rides nice and seems less noisy than the stock tire was on the hwy, and much improved traction off road than the stock.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Kenda k270 4.00 x 18 DOT approved $50

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the back I have the Bridgestone TW-34 I think (I'm at an RV park in Cottonwood, AZ right now, and it's too dark to see the lettering on the sidewalls), which I am perfectly happy with. But the front ones suggested here are considerably more aggressive (and thus noisier) than what I want. I do want to keep the exact stock size, and it would be nice to keep the brand matched to the back one (Bridgestone). I guess I'll have to look into what they offer besides the stock front one. OK, I just used my cellphone for a light to see the sidewalls, and the rear is a TW (trail wing)-34, and the front is a TW-31. But I want to go more (but not full) roadish on the front. I know that 18 is the "standard" size for the rear of a motorcycle, but that is what needs to go on the front of one of these bikes. Does Bridgestone make a 130/80-18 rear "enduro" style tire?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know that there are "street" tires available for both front and rear, but since I do a lot of off-road riding, I am NOT interested in those. But the front ones suggested here are considerably more aggressive (and thus noisier) than what I want.

Hi twm, anything less agressive than the stock tire will be horrible for "a lot of off-road riding". The stock tire is indeed noisy because of it's tread design but the Maxxis, Kenda or some of the other dual sport tires should be actually quieter. Maybe we could get some noise reports here ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After looking at what BS has for size 130/80-18, there are only 4 options. The BT-45 and the AC-04 are 100% street bike tires, so they are out of the question. The TW-31 is what I am runnning now (with almost no tread left), and the only other is the TW-203, which IS the "mostly street" tire for these bikes, if I am not mistaken. How viable is this tire for off-road usage? The one thing that bothers me is that, from the picture, it appears to have very little tread depth when new. If this is indeed the case, I wouldn't be very hip on it. But looking at the tread pattern, it looks like it is probably a (almost) noiseless tire. With the TW-34 (rear) having all kinds of meat on it, I would like a front tire to wear out at approximately the same time.

Does anyone know what the actual tread depth is on the TW-203 tire?

If it is more than what it appears to be in the picture, I will probably opt for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know what the actual tread depth is on the TW-203 tire?

If it is more than what it appears to be in the picture, I will probably opt for it.

The TW-203 tread depth is 8/32" while the TW31 is 10/32". Not a lot less tread but I think the TW-203 would last longer because of the greater surface area of the lugs. Anyone have a mileage comparison of the two tires?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I run a TW34 on the back and a TW203 on the front, but only on pavement. DO NOT run that combination off pavement unless you like lowsiding. I think lowsiding really sucks, so I bought a second front wheel and brake pads to carry a Kenda Trackmaster K760 for offroad riding. If I could find a Maxxis 6006, that's what I would run if I didn't have a second front wheel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I changed my mind about running a TW203 on the front, as it's just too "streety" for any off-road use. I don't like the Kenda, but am considering the Michelin T63. Where is the best deal (including shipping) for it?

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Hi twm,

Thought I would chime in here and add my experience (which is limited). What I'm guessing is you are satisfied with your rear tire, so no issue there, but are mulling it over on a front. It does appear the TW203 is more of a street tire as it has quite a bit of road surface. My guess is you are looking for a decent "dual-purpose" tire.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Bridgestone Trail Wing 42. With some hesitation I mention that I have a Bridgestone Trail Wing 42 on my front. This is a replacement tire I had installed at the Yammy shop when my original front wore out. I hated the original by the way. Anyway, I did not really pick this as I had my son get the tire and put on for me. I was not present or I would have maybe picked a more aggressive off-road tire similiar to the Kenda you mention. I say this because I ride off-road 99% of the time and thats what suits me.

However, I'm cheap and have lived with the BS TW42 which I will probably change to a Kenda type tire over the winter. I like the roundness of the Kenda for side grip. I have not been completely satisfied with the BS TW42's off-road capability. To me it seems like a harder compound tire. On street it seems just fine. To get the grip I want off-road with this tire, I drop the psi a lot. At normal tire pressure this tire wants to "wash-out" a little and it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

I'm only offering my experience with this tire and am not saying this is a great tire. You can see this tire on my TW in the "Quick Trip to Paddock Reservoir" Adventure forum.

Good luck in your tire search and purchase.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I changed my mind about running a TW203 on the front, as it's just too "streety" for any off-road use. I don't like the Kenda, but am considering the Michelin T63. Where is the best deal (including shipping) for it?

See post #10 by Hendragster. Cheapest place I found and good service.

Been running the T63 for last 500 miles and it needs a ~50 mile break-in to achieve its full traction.

Much better than the OEM tire, but still a compromise tire - good on road and/or dirt.

The motocross (knobby) style tire will be much 'better' on dirt especially in turns.

Info/reviews on a lot these tires from other sites is tough because our front tires are other peoples rears - rears are bigger with a much stiffer carcass, so when someone says "this tire sucks for the front" it does not necessarily equate with our use of them.

That said - I DO like the T63 for a dual sport front tire (once broken in) and would get another in the future.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Believe it or not, I am still up in the air about it. The T63 is obviously designed to be a back tire. You can tell because the longer side of the knobs are oriented radially, rather than in line with the circumference of the tire. At this point, I have come full-circle and am reconsidering the stock front tire. Maybe there is a reason that they never changed the tread design of the front tire, like they did with the rear tire. It is still the one found on the brand new TW200's. If safety is to be the #1 concern, which it ought to be both on and off road, then maybe I should just suck it up and put up with the noise that the stocker makes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts