TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at gps maps for my garmin for utah. it seems if i buy the 24k topo maps, i have to buy maps for 4 states, 3 of which i will not use, for about $140. if i buy huntview maps i can get just utah and save $40. does any one use the huntview style of map? being a novice, i'm not clear on the differences between the different types of maps

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used the Gaia app on my iPhone last year when I rode from St. George, UT to the Bar 10 Ranch. It worked great, especially for $20. Note: this app will work even when out of cell phone tower range using the satellite receivers in your smart phone. I will say there is a bit of a learning curve and I brought paper maps I printed at home and hand drawn maps I made myself as back ups. Never had to use those though. Just stopped every once in a while and did a spot check with Gaia to make sure I was still on track.

Gaia GPS helps you find your way anywhere, even offline | Macworld

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey grewen. I have Gaia too. A dedicated gps has a lot going for it. But if you are willing to switch technology the smart phone app has great maps in several formats for $20 total. Just saying. Gps chart plotters for boats use to be thousands of dollars. The dedicated charts many more hundreds. I can now do the same thing on an iPad for $50 in nav apps. If Garmin were smart they would unlock the maps as their closed format is dying. For $20 what's to lose? Sorry this doesn't answer your question either.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would mean i would have to get rid of my 2 year old montana ($500) and buy a $700 smart phone, mmmm let me see.....no. does any one have any info on the garmin maps?

·
Registered
343 Posts
garmin.openstreetmap.nl or gpsfiledepot.com

I have always bought Garmin hardware, but their maps suck. Well, the maps are fine, but the licensing/usage sucks. Some (most...all?) of their map products have to activated and are forever tied to the serial (ID) number of the GPS unit they are installed on. Some aren't, a lot are...if you decide to shell out for Garmin maps, check and make sure you can use them down the road if you upgrade your GPS unit.
Buy a $500 GPSr. Then buy a $300 Garmin map suite. The $300 maps will only ever work on that GPS. So when you decide to upgrade to a newer model, you're buying the maps all over again. There are other ways that are free, and legal.
Maybe they changed the way the map products are handled now, but it was always that way, so the Ibycus project came about (super awesome FREE topo maps for all of Canada.) There are lots of similar products for the US and the rest of the world.

**If Garmin has completely changed their registration system lately, I....don't give a crap. I worked my way through around 10-11 Garmin GPS units, and would have had to spend a small fortune buying maps over and over again. Crazy...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Once Garmin, always Garmin, I guess. I never did fall for their program after I bought a Nuvi. Expensive and out dated, fast!

These days a Samsung (or iPad) tablet with downloadable Google Pro maps is hard to beat. You don't even need a cell plan for the tablet to work in GPS mode.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you know if these huntview maps will be a good choice for trails? i am not in the know about downloading after market maps, so right now i'm kinda stuck with ordering garmin sd cards

·
Registered
343 Posts
Once Garmin, always Garmin, I guess.
No, just the opposite, actually. You would THINK that a company selling you hardware, then software to run on it, would present the software as an investment, to be re-used when you upgrade your hardware with another of their units. They don't. By making you flush your software investment down the crapper when you upgrade your hardware, they completely remove any ties you have to their platform, and also remove any incentive you have to buy their product. "Might as well buy a Garmin, I already paid for the maps...oh, wait...."

And sorry OP, I thought you were looking for an economical way to get topo maps on your Montana. I didn't realize you were doing the huntview thing and just wanted to know about them. But...free bump, I suppose...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a Montana 600 that came with 100K topo maps.
But I use City Navigator North America. It has pretty thorough coverage of roads and trails and is routable.
Everything I have ridden in Moab is on there. Buy it once, then buy the lifetime updates.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Grewen, I use Garmin also, but did not know about their version of huntmaps. They look nearly identical to what I use for my home state of Montana, but they are from a private company (OnXmap Montana Premium Hunt Map for Garmin microSD Card; they have UTAH as well). I also use this for my TW riding and they work great. They have showed all of the roads of course, but also every singtrack trail I have ridden on. I really like the color coded land ownership as well. They are about $100 per state. I see the Garmin versions are $80 for the SD card, which helps even more. I use the SD card version of my maps and it works well with my other Garmin basemaps too. Sorry I don't know the Garmin produced version, but if it is designed for hunters, I would image it works for riding as well. I find hunters have more detailed map needs than riders. If you have specific questions about my version, just ask.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
i'm looking at gps maps for my garmin for utah. it seems if i buy the 24k topo maps, i have to buy maps for 4 states, 3 of which i will not use, for about $140. if i buy huntview maps i can get just utah and save $40. does any one use the huntview style of map? being a novice, i'm not clear on the differences between the different types of maps
Grewen,

I have a Garmin TOPO U.S. 100k Map Disk. It's what I use. I don't know if I can copy the disk (can try) but either way I can send you the disk so you can load on your computer. I'm guessing you have Basecamp (Garmin) but if you don't you can download it for free from Garmin. Basecamp is the transfer link to load the maps you want to your GPS device.

You'll need to see "Mapinstall" to load the desired map area's. The amount of mapping data you'll want to load on your GPS device will depend on the memory available. There is a scale percentage of how much memory is used and left. Turns from green to red when you've loaded to much. I'm not sure off hand how much memory I have on myHcx eTrex, but I usually have the northwest corner of the U.S. loaded (i.e. all of Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, upper part of California, and western Montana & Wyoming). There is a lot of flexibility in loading the maps. You would be able to figure it out quite easily.

I have no idea of the differences between the TOPO and Hunting Maps as I've never used the hunting ones.

There is also a free download for each state you may want on https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ somewhere. This is what I used before I got the TOPO Disk. They were both pretty close when it came to view and Points of Interest etc.

If any of this helps let me know and I can try and get a disk sent to you before May Moab.

P.S. All Free too so no worry about buying anything unless you want a new one from a store or Garmin!:D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Grewen, I use Garmin also, but did not know about their version of huntmaps. They look nearly identical to what I use for my home state of Montana, but they are from a private company (OnXmap Montana Premium Hunt Map for Garmin microSD Card; they have UTAH as well). I also use this for my TW riding and they work great. They have showed all of the roads of course, but also every singtrack trail I have ridden on. I really like the color coded land ownership as well. They are about $100 per state. I see the Garmin versions are $80 for the SD card, which helps even more. I use the SD card version of my maps and it works well with my other Garmin basemaps too. Sorry I don't know the Garmin produced version, but if it is designed for hunters, I would image it works for riding as well. I find hunters have more detailed map needs than riders. If you have specific questions about my version, just ask.
thanks Eric, that's all i wanted, for someone to let me know about the hunt view

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grewen,

I have a Garmin TOPO U.S. 100k Map Disk. It's what I use. I don't know if I can copy the disk (can try) but either way I can send you the disk so you can load on your computer. I'm guessing you have Basecamp (Garmin) but if you don't you can download it for free from Garmin. Basecamp is the transfer link to load the maps you want to your GPS device.

You'll need to see "Mapinstall" to load the desired map area's. The amount of mapping data you'll want to load on your GPS device will depend on the memory available. There is a scale percentage of how much memory is used and left. Turns from green to red when you've loaded to much. I'm not sure off hand how much memory I have on myHcx eTrex, but I usually have the northwest corner of the U.S. loaded (i.e. all of Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, upper part of California, and western Montana & Wyoming). There is a lot of flexibility in loading the maps. You would be able to figure it out quite easily.

I have no idea of the differences between the TOPO and Hunting Maps as I've never used the hunting ones.

There is also a free download for each state you may want on https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ somewhere. This is what I used before I got the TOPO Disk. They were both pretty close when it came to view and Points of Interest etc.

If any of this helps let me know and I can try and get a disk sent to you before May Moab.

P.S. All Free too so no worry about buying anything unless you want a new one from a store or Garmin!:D
thanks Admiral....don't send anything, i'll catch up with you at your place, times a ticking! i hope to pick your brain about all this gps stuff

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you use base camp it is easy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts