TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a Lithium battery definitely lightened up my TW but it also lightened up my wallet. :) I didn’t buy it with weight in mind but I was surprised in the difference in weight.

I guess if someone was concerned with the weight of your TW...this is a good start.

Lead Acid. 6.180 lbs

Lithium 1.045 lbs

Total. 5.185 lbs less

B6561460-6482-4673-B263-BCC487DD349F.jpeg

38014506-0A45-4280-9C34-33AA67D670A7.jpeg

B64DDD7C-224D-47EF-986E-14E7952BBC28.jpeg

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Good one! I plan to do the same once I digest the cost of a kick start.

Replaced the back fender with a ABS holder for plate, smaller turn signals and LED brake light. Got rid of front reflectors, chain guard, and all decals.

I've made many additions and changes to my TW but that was the only real weight loss I can think of and it's not much...lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I switched the battery out for a large capacator that weighs less than a pound made it kick start only. Saved a bunch of weight there. Rear pegs gone. Removed airbox rear sub-frame assembly gauges the list goes on. Basically turned it into a dirt only bike. I am now building it up to get back on the road.

Stock exhaust is also very heavy, I have a light weight noisy kerker. But I saved the stock setup

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Please post up pics and specs for the capacitor. Useful info! ;)
I switched the battery out for a large capacator that weighs less than a pound made it kick start only. Saved a bunch of weight there. Rear pegs gone. Removed airbox rear sub-frame assembly gauges the list goes on. Basically turned it into a dirt only bike. I am now building it up to get back on the road.

Stock exhaust is also very heavy, I have a light weight noisy kerker. But I saved the stock setup

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It would be nice to see how much it dims at idle, ect. A pic of the setup in the bike would be nice too. Thanks!!

*** O yeah, which year bike? :)
Ok I believe I have an extra capacitor if someone is interested. Let me get the specs in the morning

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Went on a diet and lost 10lb to make up for the rear rack, rox risers and wide foot pegs..... Likely a net gain...
Ha, Good One!

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
I removed the passenger pegs but not really for a weight loss. I'm guessing it's only a pound or two weight savings but might add up with everything else for an overall weight loss.

The real reason I removed my passenger pegs was because occasionally I would get my foot trapped toe-to-heal between the ground and the passenger peg bracket. It was quite painful. I didn't know if the passenger pegs were the culprit thinking the problem could also be the swing arm but I haven't had the scrunch, pinch since removing them.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Removed CycleRack, Rotopak mount, 2 storage tubes and about 5 lbs of misc. tools and kit and replaced with my original aluminum framed load plate and soft soft sided tail bag on one bike. This was after weighing an all-up loaded TW @ a porky 332 pounds...all the safety stuff was making me unsafe.
The rear footpegs are of debatable value and thus sometimes are installed, other times not. They do seem to add protection in a tip over and can keep rear tire free of ground and still spinning rather than selling the engine.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Removed CycleRack, Rotopak mount, 2 storage tubes and about 5 lbs of misc. tools and kit and replaced with my original aluminum framed load plate and soft soft sided tail bag on one bike. This was after weighing an all-up loaded TW @ a porky 332 pounds...all the safety stuff was making me unsafe.
The rear footpegs are of debatable value and thus sometimes are installed, other times not. They do seem to add protection in a tip over and can keep rear tire free of ground and still spinning rather than selling the engine.
You are absolutely right that passenger pegs have debatable value. I removed them because I believe they, the pegs, could be the cause of my "pinched between the ground and footpeg" pain. Thankfully, I didn't break my foot, and in large part I credit my motocross style boots with this save. Off-road boots, another item with a debatable value.

Passenger pegs adding protection of my spinning rear tire keeping the engine from stalling. Well, that's less of a value to me over my foot safety but that's why we get to chose what's right for us individually.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
I like to use my passenger pegs to sit side saddle when lounging but maybe they should go. I also like them if someone I'm riding with breaks down.
Not having the pegs had been something of a concern if I needed them in case of a passenger. When Mrs. A got the flat tire the concern became real. We had options but in the end were close enough to camp for me to go back and get the spare TW tire (on the rim) and air compressor. I do carry different items now because of recent flats last fall.

Back to passenger foot pegs. I had a thought of carrying some kind of lightweight strap I could use as a temporary stirrups if it happened again. Haven't tinkered with any "stirrup" solutions as of yet.

I'm still not gonna put the pegs back on as long as I ride off-road like I do.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
With all the skid plates,racks,bark busters and other stuff I'd have to remove the motor to save weight!!:eek:
If I removed myself from the TW and had a surrogate rider of lesser weight, ...well now, that wouldn't be any fun would it? :p

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think the real weight saving would come if we all weighed what we weighed when we were 16. Too much beer is my excuse and there are not enough parts to replace or remove to make up the difference.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Iam with you Admiral on removing the rear pegs. I have had my foot, almost get caught, there a few times. Unfortunately I just made the passenger side peg the bottom anchor for a rifle case. Hummm, will have to figure something else out, and obviously don't carry the case that often

1 - 20 of 76 Posts