TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nice! I'd like some short levers as well, on account of my small hands... Does anyone know if these would also work on the drum braked models?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nice chainsaw rack! I installed some Tusk brush guards today and changed all my dash lights to LED's with a red one for the speedo. Also discovered that my high beam indicator light doesn't work - so time to troubleshoot that.

Reactions: GreatWhiteHunter

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Installed a 1.5 gallon FuelPax onto the Tusk Utility Top Rack. Also popped on the LED tie downs from Ebay - although did not wire them up in time to beat the rain.

Reactions: Sthrnromr

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Well it was yesterday, actually. Replaced the crappy chinese intake boot that I replaced last summer. Didn't even make it one year before shrinking and cracking to hell up here in the high desert. I actually received two parts due to an Ebay error in my favor (the seller sent two and refused to pay return shipping.) So I guess I'll replace the "new" one with a factory Yamaha part next year! I also switched the factory 114 jet back into my old '87. I'm headed down from 9K feet to south-eastern Colorado next week for a fishing trip. Bringing the TW200 down as well with the intention of scouting out new shore-access locations where I can park/camp/beach the boat. Should be a blast!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nothing! But I somehow stumbled across a different "My Profile" page on this forum that I have never seen before???....Anyway I was finally able to update my signature! 1987 Yamaha TW200 - been trying to add that for a while now, haha!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Got those Pro Taper ATV High bars installed yesterday before some wintry mix comes in today.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Today I ordered myself an LS2 Metro V3 helmet as I watched my (covered) TW200 get buried in about 8" of snow. Up in the mountains, it's always winter - unless it's summer!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm up at 9000ft, Ken! It's way too hot down at Denver elevation - I don't how those folks do it! Today I adjusted my valves for the second time since I got my '87 about a year ago. I do believe I have found a future issue with my intake valve...
Auto part Automotive engine part Metal

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Finally started work on the my '87 I'm very happy to say! Picked up an '88 engine and starting breaking down the bike in order to prepare for the swap.

Reactions: Ken and Sthrnromr

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Doesn't get much better than a van and a TW, Fred! Today I replaced my 1987 motor with the '88 I picked up for $550. I have to transplant the old flywheel, stator, and left engine cover in order to utilize the 1987 CDI. Since I'm waiting on a new cover gasket and flywheel removal tool (I read about the trick but I'm not risking messing up my rear axle doing it twice) I decided I should re-finish the engine cover anyway so I removed the stator from the cover and began prepping for paint.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nice, Errtu! I have been strongly considering the 15t front sprocket lately for Route 285 - please let me know how it works out for you!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Installed a Kolpin Autolatch mount and Stronghold case onto the Tusk rack. Rode over to the local range and checked zero on my .17HMR Ruger. Yellow-Bellied Marmot season opened up on the 10th and I'll be heading out tomorrow for a pair of Rockhogs and some wild White Puffball mushrooms. However, I will be joined by a friend so the TW will not be going this time...

Vehicle Motorcycle Off-roading Car Trail

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I played around with it for a while to try and find a proper position that would not interfere with my body or the ground. I ride alot of rocky jeep trails, but honestly, that friggin' Kolpin case was a bit bigger then I was expecting...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Finally admitted to myself I have been running too rich - so I put the 110 main jet back in and dialed back the idle enrichment screw to 2 turns out. Better power and less popping on deceleration, but I still have some at low RPM. Thinking I'll try leaning it to 1.5 turns out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Today I found an old splice that was causing my LED turn signal indicator dash light to malfunction. After I replaced the splice I decided to tackle the LED high beam indicator, which has been working intermittently lately. What a headache! The green and amber LED work in the high beam indicator socket, and the blue LED works in both the neutral and turn signal indicator sockets. But the blue LED just refuses to light up in the high beam socket! I tried to tweak the socket and clean the contacts but no difference. Finally gave up and decided the hell with it - not worth my time. I'll just order up a new pair of blue LED's and hope one of them just works.

Reactions: 47382, Fred and GOF

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Spend the money on the factory Yamaha intake boot and avoid the chinese copy - didn't even last me a year! Today I ordered a black anodized Ricochet skid plate, as I finally had a very minor impact on the Slaughterhouse Gulch jeep trail so decided it was time. I also finished outfitting the bike for Greater Sage Grouse season which is coming up fast. Moved the Kolpin rifle case over a little bit and bolted down the milk crate. Also, I decided to put the 1.5-gallon FuelPax on the front side of the crate so the rear of the seat can help support the weight a little bit.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Well, I received my Ricochet skid plate this week - and to my dismay I found the replacement engine mounting bolt to be FULLY threaded! Quick run to the Ace hardware for proper bolt and I was all set. I then removed my factory skid plate to discover a leaking output shaft seal, so work had been halted and new seals are on the way.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Today I replaced the output shaft seals after discovering a leak last week. I decided to lay the bike down on a tire in order to delay the oil change until the work was completed. Figured since I was pulling the left side cover off and that some dirt might fall in, I might as well wait till after. So tomorrow I'll be changing the oil and finally installing the Ricochet skid plate. Maybe even a short ride, eh?

Reactions: Darth and Errtu

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Copy that, Gary! Sprocket is still like new, and while I agree I should have just replaced every seal at once - I decided this time if it ain't broke don't fix it! I'm sure I'll be sorry later... Anyway today I got that Ricochet skid plate finally installed and changed my oil. I noticed while switching engines out that the oil drain plug on the '88 was stripped all to hell so I decided to order a replacement several weeks ago. Oh boy, am I glad I did that! Not only was the oil drain plug stripped to the point it wouldn't wrench out - but even the vise grips couldn't wrestle it off. Tried it 3 times but they just continued to slide and further round off the hex head. So I grabbed a file and cut a small notch on the edge of the plug for a large flathead screwdriver to grab while I gave it a couple of taps with a hammer. Tap, tap, BREAK! A big chunk of the oil drain plug edge snapped off! At this point, I crack open a Coors and wonder what the hell I'm going to do. I take a few minutes to taste the Rockies, then try it again. File in another perch for the flathead, angle 45 degrees, and a WHACK with the hammer and it's free! I sigh to myself in relief, grab another cold one, and finish the oil change.

Button Circle

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Using some heat did occur to me, however, I don't own a heat gun and I was nervous about using the propane torch. I also do not have a small pipe wrench! Just one and it's a massive "Monkey Wrench" that I didn't even think to try it that's how big it is. Oh well! Two new items added to the hardware store list, eh? Also, the new replacement oil drain plug was torqued down properly along with the new o-ring lubed before installation.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts