TW200 Forum banner

5381 - 5400 of 5420 Posts

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
This darn new Forum software has one of grewen's missing photos showing up in my photo stream in post #5373 when I try to open the last one of my pictures. Odd, but I am hoping to eventually get comfortable with idea of having to accept the disappointments in New Forum's behavior.

As far as the tire test the TerraCross ATV rear tire on Betty Boop is definitely superior in snow and ice compared to the stock Trailwing rear on the Mr.Gizmo bike. ATV tire is the hands down winner for wintertime.

While Mr.Gizmo took me down a snowy canyon, and more importantly brought me back up, things were a lot more squirrelly than with Betty Boop's ATV tire. No surprises. Stock tire is good, just not fantastic. Lasts longer too.

Interestingly enough despite the mild compromise in forward thrust the Mr.Gizmo bike was much faster in those rocky sections where misc. fruit sized rocks were covered with 2" of snow. This is due to the long travel Tri-Z forks and custom shock Gerry installed on the Mr.Gizmo bike. The fine tuned, yet essentially stock forks on Betty Boop just can't hack the hack, especially slippery hack which forces a slower speed for control and safety.

Oh well, if Yamaha had dipped into their existing parts stream to equip the TW with superior forks and better spring we would all then want a superior engine next.

Betty Boop's 223cc 6 speed outpaces its suspension. Mr.Gizmo's suspension outpaces its engine. Betty will get more suspension before Mg.Gizmo gets more engine.
walk.gif

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
I see Admiral is still her now and then. Good, thought he had jumped ship & I was about to start posting memorial videos.
Anyone ever get to ride with the Admiral and Georgie? What an amazing dog!

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
I miss Georgie. She was a good ride pard. Roscoe good pup too just not a rider.

I'm working on some videos I took over the summer and fall that I never got around to editing. I hate the word edit right now. Anyhow, I just haven't really had much to say. Been reading what everyone else has been doing though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I messed up my TW a bit last night, fitted the new intake valve, buttoned everything up and started her. She ran like a Swiss watch for a few minutes then started to develop a knock then just quit.
It suddenly struck me like an 18 wheeler I didn't torque down the cam gear:mad::mad::mad::mad::poop:. Opened up and saw that the gear had come loose, then things went south,took off the nut and dropped the washer down into the engine. I turned the crank and felt it stuck on the crank gear. Kicked my own ass and packed up for the night. Tonight I'll see if I can fish it out and see it the valves got damaged.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
I messed up my TW a bit last night, fitted the new intake valve, buttoned everything up and started her. She ran like a Swiss watch for a few minutes then started to develop a knock then just quit.
It suddenly struck me like an 18 wheeler I didn't torque down the cam gear:mad::mad::mad::mad::poop:. Opened up and saw that the gear had come loose, then things went south,took off the nut and dropped the washer down into the engine. I turned the crank and felt it stuck on the crank gear. Kicked my own ass and packed up for the night. Tonight I'll see if I can fish it out and see it the valves got damaged.
I experienced the same thing as you minus the fishing expedition for the washer you get to do. At least I avoided that. Ruined my cam and bent a valve. Hopefully, your damage is restricted to a lost washer (for now) and a shaky reputation for self-repair haha.

100_2840.JPG

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Ouch Andre, hope the washer can be fished out with no additional damage to new & old valves nor anything else.

You likely already have a plan to do this short of inverting the engine and shaking. However spying the missing item can sometimes be accomplished with a cell phone or small camera when one's head can't get close. Small rare earth magnet secured to a long zip tie has retrieved missing valve adjustment nut for me in the past, something like this might work for you too.

Would hate to think you have to put it on your head & then load it on a bus and take it to repair shop

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Played Santa's Helper & delivered some Christmas candy to a few neighbors. 26 degrees was a little cold for no coat and just thin fleece pants.
Mr.Gizmo bike started right up in the cold, gotta love the power of a Lithium battery to get things spinning. Bike came out of a 50 degree garage so waqs not cold soaked.
Gizmo 12:19.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
did you try compressed air? don't get in the way of the gas cap blowing off
I hadn't actually tried that, part of it was I thought that method was more of a running joke than anything, and part I hadn't thought about what fittings/adapters I would need. If the gas cap would pop off (I'm hoping I don't cause that), I was also afraid if it would mess up the gas cap threads. I'm definitely thinking about giving it a try though.

How did you use the glue puller? I had a pretty good sized dent one time and tried pulling it from the middle and it did nothing. For some reason I started pulling it from the edges and worked it to the center and the dent was gone so good I never used any bondo or anything on it.
Thanks, no I just tried it straight from the middle. I will definitely give that another try first.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have been riding mine to work. It has been in the 30's here lately. I was usually good to about 50 degrees before. Now that I figured out my problem was cold induced asthma, I wear a facemask to keep the air warm before I breathe it back in and I have no problems. Plus since I am working outside all day I have to dress really warm anyway. I have been wearing my fleece lined jeans quite a bit on these cold days. I am glad I put the 10w/40w in my tdub before it got cold. Since I am usually at 50 degrees or above I usually have only used 20w/50w.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great news the valves aren't damaged and now the fishing expedition has to start. I'm thinking of just removing the motor and turning it upside down and shaking it a bit:unsure::LOL:. I also ordered a mechanic fingers/magnet unit with LED's at both ends for the staggering cost of $7,81, just waiting to have it delivered.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually out riding in light snow comparing stock tire traction to that from atv tire, exploring a bit while opening up some gates to make things easier for deer and trespassers to flow through. A fat bear or fat trespasser climbing over one had busted it so I had wired it closed a month ago so opened it up now.
Fred, that's a nice looking older model tractor you have parked there in front of that rusty piece of farm equipment with the missing front wheel!

Marty

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
The 1927 patent dated Fordson needs some new tires so I can move it for better display. It has rotted rubber ones I'm having a hard time finding a match for. Believe the OEM ones were steel like the rears. Hand crank, supposedly starts on gasoline and then switches over to kerosene. Not your father's John Deer.
Rear has some sweet art deco swooping fenders with built in tool boxes. Supposedly a $20 option when new.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The 1927 patent dated Fordson needs some new tires so I can move it for better display. It has rotted rubber ones I'm having a hard time finding a match for. Believe the OEM ones were steel like the rears. Hand crank, supposedly starts on gasoline and then switches over to kerosene. Not your father's John Deer.
Rear has some sweet art deco swooping fenders with built in tool boxes. Supposedly a $20 option when new.
I have a later model fordson major which has a few unique features I like with a 4 liter GM engine swapped into it. I still prefer the allis wd45 I have though. Has loads of really innovative featyres for the time.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Put on my new FMF exhaust today! View attachment 202687
I have the same exhaust can...love it.
I found a very good condition XT 225 header, bright-polished it, and installed it. Found several on eBay, this one was perfect and had a good price. Really brightens up the bike.
I did have to peel off the big FMF "decal" on the can...I can't stand stickers on my bikes!
The pink spokes are, um...well...smile inducing! Yeah, that's it.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Just used the TW with the ATV tire to retrieve some 2" steel tubing from a remote storage site. Terracross ATV tire churning nicely through 6 inches of rotten snow turned a chore into a delight. Probably have put 3,000 very rewarding miles on that tire in this last year. Despite some rounded and rock torn lugs I am still a big fan of the performance delivered over almost every surface imaginable except for the deep mud it was designed for. I think the rounder profile Terracross corners at speed on pavement somewhat better than the previous Duro. Go figure.

5381 - 5400 of 5420 Posts