TW200 Forum banner

5701 - 5720 of 5778 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Heard a really bad rattle in the muffler of my 2005 TW. Removed the system, stripped the tail cap screw trying to remove it. Used a Dremel to create a slot and take it off with a flat head screwdriver. Sheared off one side of the bolt. Drilled out the center and tried to remove the bolt with a reverse bolt remover and stripped the socket that I attached to the bit. Ended up drilling out the entire screw/bolt assembly. Still couldn't get the tail cap and spark arrester off. Started prying and finally got it all apart as I jacked up the entire end cap. The spark arrestor, asbestos cloth, screen and everything was rusted and in pieces.

Anyone have a stock muffler system for sale? I'd rather keep it stock and not get a louder system. I like being as quiet as I can.

At least right now I'm running straight out of the header, so it makes the neighbors happy and people hear me coming!
Was your bike stored outside? I was just wondering why the muffler would be in such bad shape?

·
Super Moderator
17,939 Posts
Biggest contributor to rotted out mufflers is they aren't brought up to operating temperature and all the moisture hasn't been eliminated, short little rides.(n)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Plus 1 to that Tommy. I can remember my father replacing my grandmothers muffler what seemed like every 4 months on her mighty Rambler Ambassador. She drove it about 1/4 mile down the road every 2-3 days to the local market and that's about it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Fred I'm sure you can use any good sealant, I just swear by this stuff. Ever since last year when I changed the clutch on my Dub and used that in stead of a gasket, then tried it on the bottom of the barrel too. Not a drop of oil leaked out there yet.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Hi Andre, hope you did't think I was critical of your rim sealant, was just identifying other available options here in the states should anyone have difficulty sourcing RMATV.
Maybe I should get some too for other applications.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is about 3 times more expensive than the other sealants available but is worth every penny. It also hasn't got that acidic smell of most other sealants, it has a smell more like a freshly tilled field. 😁 I know it sounds corny but it's true.
Anyhoo I only have a short time to do some riding as it's starting to cool down quicker now and winter is from June to August. It only gets down to about 5 celc here by me, but that's way to cold for me to ride😭😭😭.
On the flip side I can get stuck into her fixing her frame rust spots and slapping on a fresh coat of paint afterwards.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Setting up a new bike. Built rear rack from schedule 40 aluminum pipe, built and mounted a toolbox and rotopax carrier, installed bash plate, gps mount, and a few other little things. Maybe get out riding next! Going to be a fun change from big BMW GS Adventure. Might miss the suspension and cruise control, and a few other things, but way easier to pick up and more fun for what it is.

View attachment 205265
That's a nicely built rack!! Kudos to you sir!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Slaughterhouse Gulch! That's an awesome trail name.
I couldn't agree more, Surf! Reddave has some beautiful areas to ride in. Looked up the name on GoogleMaps and found this picture someone had posted of the area. I am jealous! Hope the link works. You can click and drag the picture for a 360 panoramic view.

Marty

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Yesterday's news...but anyways Adam-in-Nevada & I rode west trying to tour a chain of lakes straddling the Sierra crest. Some of you might recognize this scenery from our Group Rides into the snow drapped mountains around Mt.Lola in years past.
Targeted lakes lie in glaciated pockets tucked in amongst the far skyline.
perazo .jpg

Eye candy for sure even if we could not make all intended destinations.
We did stop at a few lakes as consolation prizes..some big
lake1 .jpg

...some small.
lake 2.jpg

This was the second time I've tried to show Adam an alpine chain of lakes too early in year only to be stopped by snow. We did punch through a few snow drifts to get to this lightly visited gem on the more sunny side of the basin for a well earned break...we're about 35 miles in at this point.
lake3 .jpg

Snow at elevation sure can support some nice timber and moss. I like furry trees.
moss.jpg

So we turned around at this point and burned off another 50 miles exploring old railroad grades, logging roads, a bit of singletrack and one 5-mile shortcut of mine that did not work due to a rather intimidating deep stream crossing.
Some may remember deep water encounters and wet socks from past group rides out here with me. So maybe they can understand my retreat while mumbling something about discretion being better part of valor.

Fun stuff, long day, and the backtracking gave me good excuse for having kept our ladies waiting for a BBQ. They worry a bit but know we are likely safe just playing with our toys. 80 something miles by time we were all done.
snow bank.jpg

·
Registered
516 Posts
I took my daughter for a little more practice today. As soon as she gets her driving license I'll probably be signing her up for MSF course and she'll have a good head start on them.
Ken, does your local MSF use the TDubs? If not, are you gonna let her ride yours or do they even allow that?

Marty

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Good question Marty.
If Miss mini-Ken can master Dad's TW in practice she would likely do well on whatever the school may provide.
Not having done this course myself I can not add insights other than my DMV inspector seemed pleased that I could ace the licensing test course on a TW200. She likely had to deal with folks taking tests on larger machines.
Maybe set up a practice course similar to the licensing course?
testdownload.jpeg

·
Registered
516 Posts
I never took the course either Fred. Here in Florida they did not require a motorcycle endorsement until the early '80's. And when that was to become law, you had a grandfather period 6 months prior to just go to the local DMV and have them add the endorsement to your license for a small fee, not even a test required. Best I remember, for some few years after that you had to take a test if you wanted the endorsement. Then for a spell you could get the endorsement without the test IF you had the MSF course but not required. Again, IIRC. Now the MSF course is required for all new comers.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Course?
That's not a course.

This is a course!

When the lady at the DMV asked "Can you speak Frednoceros?" I said, "Of courserous, can't you?"

·
Registered
532 Posts
I decided I had knocked my knee on the Tusk Utility Top Rack bars one too many times. I had some pipe insulation laying around that just happened to be a perfect size! Hopefully, it will help offset my incredibly short inseam. I then loaded up the van and the bike - as I'm heading out for some exploratory riding tomorrow morning. All the National Forest campgrounds are apparently closed (when did camping become ANTI-social distancing by the way?) so I'll be "stealth camping" in the Econoline.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ken, does your local MSF use the TDubs? If not, are you gonna let her ride yours or do they even allow that?

Marty
I'm not sure if they use the TDubs or not. It is so good and easy to control I will probably just let her take it. It already has short levers so a drop won't hurt it. I think they do allow you to bring your own bike but I think they inspect it for safety.

·
Registered
70 Posts
5701 - 5720 of 5778 Posts