TW200 Forum banner

6201 - 6220 of 6289 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I was going to suggest applying heat, a vice and a 3 lb sledge to the foot section and tweak bend it in some what. But grinding the stop seemed to have helped too. So, never mind.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
44 Posts
Love the Clarke tank. Got it after putting 1.856 gallons into my 1.8 gallon OEM tank after a casual ride with some friends in the desert. Stock was ok for Play but range anxiety kicked in when in Explore mode. Range isn't a concern anymore and it's rather freeing.
Is that blemish/defect really noticeable or is it under the tank and more of a mindset knowing it’s there type deal, I ask because I see picks of the tank mounted and I don’t notice it but then there are pics which seem to be by where the petcock mount is and that appears to be where the defect is, I’m thinking of going with a white tank.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is that blemish/defect really noticeable or is it under the tank and more of a mindset knowing it’s there type deal, I ask because I see picks of the tank mounted and I don’t notice it but then there are pics which seem to be by where the petcock mount is and that appears to be where the defect is, I’m thinking of going with a white tank.
The defect is on the 2.7 gallon TW tank and varies in severity. I believe it's toward the front near the forks. Some people find it completely unacceptable and some just live with it. Clarke discounts the TW because of the flaw.
The 4.1 gallon tank is the XT225 that a lot of guys have adapted. It doesn't have the casting flaw. Others have used the 4.0 gallon XT350 tank as well but it takes more work to fit. A stock steel XT350 tank can be used but has less capacity.

Reactions: Imold

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It's even worse or maybe better, with a 4.1 gallon Clarke tank. After installation I wanted to mark the level in gallon increments. I dumped in the first gallon and it almost didn't show on one side. I had to shake the bike from side to side to evenly distribute the gas across the hump. That can leave you with 1/2 or even 3/4 of a gallon reserve reserve.
Maybe you need to put a fuel tap into the lower section on both sides of the tank with a flow valve. Then you would have tripple reserve. One reserve on your normal petcock, one on the left lower side and one on the right lower side. Just flip one lever at a time.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Don’t buy Lithium-ion batteries. They work ok until they completed discharge then they won’t take a charge. I had bought a small voltage monitor and it drained the battery. POS now I have to buy another battery. They also won’t crank your bike when it’s cold out. I had to crank wait, crank wait, crank wait, ...until the battery finally warmed up enough to crank the motor fast enough to start it.
Pred, the issue is with the parasitic drain that you had with the battery monitor. Unless your battery has a battery management system onboard a discharge from a parasitic drain can indeed damage it and those types of accessories should be a avoided or on a switched circuit. This really holds true for any battery, a parasitic drain will eventually damage a lead acid or AGM as well.

Shorai is a non BMS battery that comes to mind right off the top of my head. I know quite a few guys that have damaged them with parasitic drains pretty quickly. I killed one with my Ducati in which had a small drain from the proximity key. Shorai stepped up and replaced it under warranty since it was like 2 weeks old but I never installed that replacement one in the bike.

If you buy another Lithium battery get one with a BMS system and you won’t have that issue any more although I would still try to avoid parasitic drains. Anti Gravity makes a good one , the BMS won’t let it get below like 75% before it shuts the battery down to protect it. There is a button you can push to re-enable the battery and start the bike if that ever happens.

Warmup is a thing but in my experience it’s just turn the key and let the headlight run for like 60 seconds and then you can crank the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 TW200
23 Posts
Wow. 311 pages. 6206 posts. I've got alot of reading to go back and take care of. This evening I pulled the stock chain off and installed a DID X Ring chain. So easy a caveman could do that! 30 miles on the orig., So I figured it was a sound investment to change it now lessen my maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
14,326 Posts
Wow. 311 pages. 6206 posts. I've got alot of reading to go back and take care of. This evening I pulled the stock chain off and installed a DID X Ring chain. So easy a caveman could do that! 30 miles on the orig., So I figured it was a sound investment to change it now lessen my maintenance.
There will be a test at the end after you read all 6, 208 (and counting) posts, so try to soak it all in as best you can.

Reactions: Ken and Fred

·
Registered
963 Posts
Reluctantly, I finally replaced the 70T Duro tire-equipped rear wheel with the factory setup. The roads are clear a whole hell of a lot sooner than the trails up here. Now all I need is a nice sunny day with some mild winds, maybe in the '40s if I'm lucky? I have found one very negative aspect about the TW200 that I must acknowledge... Since owning this bike the temperature of my cabin fever has risen by a noticeably higher degree!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Still no riding for reddave... I can happily say, however, that I did do something with my TW today - installed the IMS pegs. I also switched out my peg mounts with replacements I sourced from Ebay a while back. I was planning ahead for new pegs. As you can see, my mounts were really busted up.

20210217_103649.jpg

So now, not only do I have myself some nice wide IMS pegs - but they fold up properly like a foot peg is supposed to. Hopefully, I don't beat the hell out of these giants this summer!

20210217_103825.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Still no riding for reddave... I can happily say, however, that I did do something with my TW today - installed the IMS pegs. I also switched out my peg mounts with replacements I sourced from Ebay a while back. I was planning ahead for new pegs. As you can see, my mounts were really busted up.

View attachment 211781

So now, not only do I have myself some nice wide IMS pegs - but they fold up properly like a foot peg is supposed to. Hopefully, I don't beat the hell out of these giants this summer!

View attachment 211782
Is that your mounts are Fred’s

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rode my TW in the snow for the first time today. Got a little crab walking in. All that mountain biking must have helped because I had a blast.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Think Dave is getting to be more of an animal than I am.:cool:
Those brackets are really chewed up! Mine I occasionally tear off on Betty Boop.

I finished putting Mr.Gizmo TW200 back on the trail today after being parked for 8 months with an electrical gremlin. I remain a fan of the Lithium battery, it was used for extensive test cranking over those months chasing down a no-starter motor issue and kept a charge untended.
So some local trail riding in 35 degree weather at slow speed to keep the wind chill down. Still darn cold., especially once sun dropped below horizon.

Partially de-Gizmo'ed the bike is still an interesting critter. I use about 9" of maybe 10" available front travel . Those extra inches of travel create ground clearance that can really make a difference when it comes to not having foot pegs & brackets chewed up. The XT500(?) OEM skid plate has very few scratches since bike builder Gerry upgraded suspension front and rear. It covers about as much engie as a Ricochet for TWs yet still has a bit of rubber isolation at half the weight An unusual TW200, a hoot at night ot in the rocky single tracks and trails I find.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Not today but Monday I went riding around in this Texas blizzard. For us it might as well be a blizzard. 22 degrees through snow and ice. I may have topped out at 10 mph on the clear sections of street. Concrete is hard so I was going over the ice slow. I was 2 days with no power. I know at least 4 of my neighbors have busted pipes.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

View attachment 211781

View attachment 211782
Seeing your hammer there made me think that Admiral should make him a set of footpegs out of a couple of hammers.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Seeing your hammer there made me think that Admiral should make him a set of footpegs out of a couple of hammers.
Those were, in fact, strategically placed "Admiral in mind" hammers!

Reactions: Ken
6201 - 6220 of 6289 Posts