TW200 Forum banner

6221 - 6240 of 6265 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,312 Posts
Seal Training. After my thrilling mid-winter trail ride, I notice a spot of oil on the floor.

Thinking it would go away on its own I moved the TW to a different location. Drats, it leaked there too so I guess it's time to take a look at what's wrong.

So I got out one of my trusty hammers and did a little Investigation ID to find out where the problem was.
Turns out it was the front sprocket output shaft seal leaking.

I was shocked at how easy it was to remove the front sprocket output shaft seal cover this time. In the past, I would have a very difficult time removing the screws. On this TW they backout easy peasy.

Cover removed exposing the seal which I was able to remove. Again easy just by placing a flat tip screwdriver under the seal between it and the bearing.

Just so people have a visual, here is the bearing.

Since I was in the shop I decided to finish (mostly) the ATV Tire mod.
I have the ATV tires pretty much ready to be mounted on the TW monsters.
This is the Ceros 25x8x12 which will be mounted on the desert marauder Scoob.

Here is the Sunf 25x8x12 tire. Thinking this will be a spare as I'm gonna take the Duro Tire I have and move it to the "Rainbow Project" TW and most likely keep Blue Bunny outfitted with OEM Tire for highway patrol duties. (Sprocket is just staged and not bolted on for all you sharpshooters out there).

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Since I was in the shop I decided to finish (mostly) the ATV Tire mod.
We don't need no steenking masking tape .......

·
Super Moderator
14,312 Posts
We don't need no steenking masking tape .......
Exactly haha. The dirt and sand will wear the overspray off. :) I painted Mrs. Admiral's trailer mod rim before I mounted the tire and a bunch of paint chipped off during the process. Thought I would avoid that issue this time but as you can see, I'm not a good "airbrush painter".

Reactions: Purple

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Lacquer thinner will take the over spray right off!

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got out to the garage for the first time in a couple weeks today which gave me a chance to mock up my dual USB port and volt gauge, now I’ll take and remove those zip ties and use some heavy duty Velcro and attach it to the bar and side of riser and that power wire will be rerouted behind the triple tree.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I also mocked up the installation of a dual USB charger and Voltage meter today. After searching on Ebay I decided to go with a charger that also has an onboard fuse, a cigarette lighter port, an on/off switch, and even a coin-battery-powered clock. Seen here:

Motorcycle ATV Dual USB Charger Adapter w/Red LED Voltmeter ON/OFF Switch 12/24V | eBay

I was planning on installing it on top of my indicator housing, but it's a bit too tall. Tomorrow I plan on manipulating the front fairing mounts to see if I can make a little more room. My mounts were bent up long before I got the bike - so what the hell! I also replaced some blown-out LED indicator lights. Replaced my instrument LED's some ago - but the speedometer, high beam, and neutral indicators all failed. While replacing those I added an LED taillight as well. I'm still waiting on a shipping confirmation from Seat Concepts - but I decided to pull off the Coleman seat pad in the meantime. I figured that way I can have a more accurate comparison with the factory seat.

·
Registered
21,191 Posts
Looking for Spring in the eastern Sierras on this trip. Still too Winters in places.

Going south and East helps. Here Silver Canyon back entrance to Brittlecone Pine Forest. Numerous creek crossings deep with snow melt
down low; snow fields up high.
150D0B5A-CEE5-44C5-AAF0-40CE9D766B00.jpeg

Interesting diggings here and there but no commercial deposits I guess. At top of canyon along the same structure nestled at edge of Shian Brottlecone Grove lies the old Mexican Mine
i
Visited the Mexican Mine this morning half buried in a snowfield somewhere above 9,000 ft. No pics on this phone though, too snowy, cold & windy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Got that dang 'old USB charger installed! Bent the front cowling mounting tabs forward a little bit to make room. Also had to trim some of the charger's housing off on the back top corner. Drilled a couple of holes through the indicator housing to mount the charger with threaded screws.

20210223_144545.jpg

20210223_144606.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,312 Posts
Looking for Spring in the eastern Sierras on this trip. Still too Winters in places. View attachment 211975

Going south and East helps. Here Silver Canyon back entrance to Brittlecone Pine Forest. Numerous creek crossings deep with snow melt
down low; snow fields up high.
View attachment 211976
Interesting diggings here and there but no commercial deposits I guess. At top of canyon along the same structure nestled at edge of Shian Brottlecone Grove lies the old Mexican Mine View attachment 211980 i
Visited the Mexican Mine this morning half buried in a snowfield somewhere above 9,000 ft. No pics on this phone though, too snowy, cold & windy.
Wow, what a neat place! The riding looks fun and interesting. Lucky dog. We're half-buried below 9,000ft. lol :)
We're looking forward to "less snow spring" so we can do some riding. Even just a little bit would be good.

Reactions: Donzo and reddave

·
Super Moderator
14,312 Posts
Go that dang 'old USB charger installed! Bent the front cowling mounting tabs forward a little bit to make room. Also had to trim some of the charger's housing off on the back top corner. Drilled a couple of holes through the indicator housing to mount the charger with threaded screws.

View attachment 211981
View attachment 211982
haha, an actual cigarette lighter. I had no idea they still made them. ...and alongside the modern-day USB ports to boot.

Reactions: reddave and Ken

·
Registered
945 Posts
haha, an actual cigarette lighter. I had no idea they still made them. ...and alongside the modern-day USB ports to boot.
That's the main reason I bought it, Admiral! I liked the option of being able to easily plug-in 12V accessories such as a small 12v air compressor. Plus - I really liked the accessibility of the fuse, just in case I push it too far with a 12V accessory and blow it. Is it possible that I may also use it to occasionally light up a smoke or two at times? Count on it!

·
Registered
1990 TW200
647 Posts
NEW SEAT CONCEPTS HI-TECH GRIPPER COVER FOR $500

Ha ha, just kidding, I ordered a seat cover over Aliexpress.com nearly a year ago for less than $10(Click Here), finally decided to put it on today pinning it down with thumbtacks but I first had to drill holes into the plastic with a 1mm drill bit and then I was able to push them in.

It took me less than an hour to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
My TW is a new to me 1999 so I'm just going through the normal checks. Cleaned the extremely dirty gunked up chain, cleaned air filter, installed a trickle charger dongle, cleaned up some oil near the front valve inspection cover. Looks like it has some gasket paste there so it may be an existing leak issue but it doesn't seem to be leaking fast so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just topped her off with some non ethanol gas , added a little snake oil , lubed
up the chain and added air to the tires..
Rode her around for about 90 miles to keep everything loose.
Put her back under the cover..
I wish I wasn't to sorry to adjust the valves,they need it pretty bad..
I adjusted them at 5 miles now at over 2000
Mike from NC

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'm contemplating the progressive springs, but waiting to hear more feedback on a recent thread how well they fit seeing as they are not specific to the TW200.
With that in mind, I'm contemplating replacing the fork boots with fork dust boot seals. I like the look better and allows me to inspect the wipe section on the inner tube. I ordered a set off eBay for 33mm fork tubes, so it's by guess and by golly if they even fit. But for $10 free ship, worth a try.
I also found a set of bleeder taps for my fork caps. They release air pressure with the push of a button. You do NOT add air to forks, you equalize it. Air will expand with heat, allowing the forks to pump up and get stiff. Same with altitude climb; the air in the fork tubes will pressurize. The problem with this is that it will blow out the fork seals and cause them to leak. So will overfilling the forks with oil. More oil seems to help dampen, but too much will blow the seals out, same as too much air. Add both and you'll learn how to tear down the whole fork assembly to replace the seals.
I'll need to tap the caps with M5 to install the bleeder buttons.

Reactions: Cornelis

·
Super Moderator
14,312 Posts
I'm contemplating the progressive springs, but waiting to hear more feedback on a recent thread how well they fit seeing as they are not specific to the TW200.
With that in mind, I'm contemplating replacing the fork boots with fork dust boot seals. I like the look better and allows me to inspect the wipe section on the inner tube. I ordered a set off eBay for 33mm fork tubes, so it's by guess and by golly if they even fit. But for $10 free ship, worth a try.
I also found a set of bleeder taps for my fork caps. They release air pressure with the push of a button. You do NOT add air to forks, you equalize it. Air will expand with heat, allowing the forks to pump up and get stiff. Same with altitude climb; the air in the fork tubes will pressurize. The problem with this is that it will blow out the fork seals and cause them to leak. So will overfilling the forks with oil. More oil seems to help dampen, but too much will blow the seals out, same as too much air. Add both and you'll learn how to tear down the whole fork assembly to replace the seals.
I'll need to tap the caps with M5 to install the bleeder buttons.
View attachment 212007
My XT200 had seal caps like that. Allowed too much crud and grit onto the fork tube so I replaced them with TW boots.

Reactions: Cornelis

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those taps sound nice, any link for what you bought? I prefer fork boots with full coverage, keeps all the gunk out and I find that anytime I pull them up the forks are perfectly clean.

Today I replaced the fuel line at the carb and the vent line at the tank. Fuel line was cracked, vent line was cut short from where the smog can used to be, so it was just going to drain right over the header which I didn't think was a great idea. Ran it down the frame and in between the skid plate and the motor. Inspected and adjusted the drum brake cables and clutch cable. Put a temp gauge sticker above the oil sight window. Strapped my giant loop mojavi bags on the back.

Then took it down the mountain into town for some gas, and took a scenic route back up the mountain to see what the temp gauge was registering. After pegging the throttle all the way up the mountain, I checked it and it only showed maybe 150F. I don't know how accurate the sticker is or how good that placement is. Engine is hot obviously, too hot to leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. But the bike feels like it's running rich to me. I'm still pretty new to carbs so tuning one will be a new adventure for me, but the temp seems low and I'm getting some decel popping and some jumpy throttle when letting it off quick, racking it fast, etc. Will probably take it apart soon for a cleaning and inspection, logging what the jet setup is in there.

6221 - 6240 of 6265 Posts