TW200 Forum banner

6461 - 6480 of 6497 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts

So that end cap is definitely welded on. Pulled the exhaust and moved it around but wasn't able to get anything to line up, and no screw in sight. Not sure what options I have at this point. How does it mount in there? Is it a screw type or just compression fits inside?

It looks like I could probably carefully use my grinder and possibly a small metal saw blade to get through them. Looking for suggestions.

In other news, some other things I did:

Not pictured - Replaced the aftermarket pilot jet (48) with an OEM 40 which should be stock. Will see how it rides in a bit when it gets dark.

Replaced the brittle and broken plastic guard that sits beneath the spring on the rear brake rod. It fell apart in my hands on removal.

Replaced kickstand spring, tucks up nicely now and stays in place, doesn't make noise!

Found out that all I had to do to center my headlight cowl properly was bend the turn signals into alignment by hand. Easy.

Headlight guard installed, not thrilled with the strength of the velcro, will probably replace with the better stuff that really locks in place.

Adjustable preload fork caps.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So that end cap is definitely welded on. Pulled the exhaust and moved it around but wasn't able to get anything to line up, and no screw in sight. Not sure what options I have at this point. How does it mount in there? Is it a screw type or just compression fits inside?

It looks like I could probably carefully use my grinder and possibly a small metal saw blade to get through them. Looking for suggestions.
Do that or replace the muffler. Only two options really.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do that or replace the muffler. Only two options really.
I like the quietness of the stock muffler, and it would be quieter with the internals actually attached. The used ebay ones I found were just asking too much, I'll fix this one before I spend that much.

Are there any aftermarket that are as quiet?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I like the quietness of the stock muffler, and it would be quieter with the internals actually attached. The used ebay ones I found were just asking too much, I'll fix this one before I spend that much.

Are there any aftermarket that are as quiet?
They are all louder. You may be able to find a stocker cheap locally. Post in the classified section here or in the Yamaha TW200 World Facebook group.

·
Registered
467 Posts
After getting a few miles on them, readjusted the rox risers and handlebars.

Off with the old OEM fork boots....

....and on with the new Blue! Will add a White OEM fender in next few weeks (Thanks to Gullyjumper!).

Ready to hit the whoops & triples now!! Says so right there!! 😁

·
Super Moderator
18,912 Posts
You got your moneys worth out of those!! haha

·
Registered
203 Posts
Test rode it. Had a REAL bitch of a time starting it. I usually kick it a few times and then hit the start button and it fires up. Well I kicked, and kicked, and kicked, and choked the idle screw a little more because it just wasn't catching after the first few cycles. Then I finally realized how stupid I was and pulled the choke out, started right up. I never had to use the choke on this bike before, even on cold days, as the bike would start right up. So that's some indicator of how rich it was tuned on the pilot jet.

I also did an amber LED under gas tank kit. One strip is defective so it's only lit on one side right now, I'm sure Procycle will send me another. Needs some adjustment to make the lighting look a bit nicer but it's super cool to see the fuel in the dark! This photo was at dusk so still some sunlight.

·
Registered
443 Posts
A buddy of mine picked up this 2000 last night. Went over this afternoon and helped him with a couple things then we made a list. Man, I love spending other people's money!
20210405_133633.jpg

·
Registered
467 Posts
Off with the old, and on with the new....Part 2!! Fresh meat!!

While I was at it....cleaned & lubed the speedo drive gear, and lubed up the speedo, clutch, and throttle cables.

9,600 miles on the OEM front.

Special thanks to scooterbrained for assisting me with changing out the tire and providing the tire tools yesterday! MUCH appreciated!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rode my TW home today! My receiver carrier didn’t arrive yesterday like it was supposed to, so my only option was to ride it ~60 miles back home. Love this little bike. I had originally thought I would gear the bike for more top end highway speed, but I don’t think I will ever really need to go that far on it anymore. I now actually want to gear down for more grunt. Should I start with the front or rear sprocket? Which OEM sprocket has a longer lifespan? And yes I will replace the chain at the same time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats! How did you find the stock suspension? I'm not a small guy myself, but I have no experience on other bikes.
On flat roads, once it’s compressed and you’re riding, I have no issue. I haven’t taken it off road yet though. I have a procycle heavier spring for the shock, but I still need to figure out what to do with the forks.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Unfortunately I have done nothing with mine........
I have a very large box of parts sitting here going to waste..
I haven't found the time or place to work on it...
The weather is now nice enough to tear it down outside and just keep it covered.
I think I will wait until after the gathering to start.
I would hate not to have it back together in time !
Going to try to get an inspection done today
And up to date plates next Wednesday...

·
Registered
2019 TW200
29 Posts
I went and bought my TW a friend to keep it company in the garage.
F850GS, I found a discounted new '19 model, (same year as my TW)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cut the welds that were put on the end cap. And now I know why they welded it shut....

I cleaned up around the hole hoping I could just buy some ebay special insert. But trying to get the rest out of there is a whole project by itself. I might just buy an aftermarket. Does anyone have a suggestion that would be the quietest option?

·
Super Moderator
5,970 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Actually it wasn't too bad, used some needle vice grips and bent it around enough times till it came out. Thinking of using high temp epoxy for to cover the hole on the bottom of the end cap, then tapping the sides and the exhaust and holding the cap in place with screws. Thoughts?

Reactions: Workingman
6461 - 6480 of 6497 Posts