TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

6501 - 6520 of 6542 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Taught my girlfriend how to ride a motorcycle on the Tdub today!! She’s 5’2 so it’s still pretty tall for her, but she is getting down using the clutch fairly well. It was all just stopping and going practice today, not shifting just yet. Had a little bit of whiskey throttle at one point, she drifted off into an alfalfa crop field and was blaring through the ruts 😂😂. Didn’t drop the bike though, she hit the kill switch and brought the bike to a stop. Handled it like a champ. Need to find a bigger flat field so she can work on changing gears. She understands the theory, just not in practice yet. Getting her a head start for the MSF in a couple weeks!
My wife is the same height as yours, but with possibly even less skills. She really wants to learn to ride, but I still haven't been able to find a huge open area with a cushy foam floor. Either that, or we'll figure a way to wrap her in bubble wrap.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
Shin guards for the ladies at the very least from my experience. For some reason the fairer sex does not think scabs and lasting scares are cool.

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
161 Posts
My wife is the same height as yours, but with possibly even less skills. She really wants to learn to ride, but I still haven't been able to find a huge open area with a cushy foam floor. Either that, or we'll figure a way to wrap her in bubble wrap.
We just went out to the crop fields, there are like 15’ wide dirt roads between allotments. She wore my helmet and some maxiflex gloves, hoodie, jeans, and boots. The TW is quite tall even for her, she would literally have to jump up onto it, and could only get one foot on the ground.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
Yesterday's News:
Nice rounded profile for a ATV tire, right?
TW-Brian has kindly lent me this Duro V2 on his 12" trailer rim conversion after I blew up my attempt with a 27x9 x14 Duro Power Grip V2 on a stock rim.
I had done two of these ATV tire mounts previously without issue but apparently got cocky with a little too much heat, pressure &/or not enough patience this time around. Tire tore, rim bent and electric heater was smashed as all were fortunately enclosed in a tarp to contain heat, and in this case shrapnel.
Once bitten, twice shy. I am going with the trailer wheel conversion from now on for safer use of the ATV tire's traction I so enjoy.

Not being as tall nor as heavy as my 27" tall failed attempt this Duro2 might behave closer to the frisky Terracross ATV tire it replaces. I had worried that I was pushing the envelope just a bit too far to retain useful dual purpose qualities.

I had ridden Brian's Duro V2 tired TW before and felt its rounder profile made it transition noticably smoother than the original Duro I had been running on my TW at the time. This should make for a good pairing for my needs.

Anyways TW-Brian's trust in me with this generosity shown could not go unacknowledged. Lots of really good people here , of which Brian is high on the list. I'll try to remember not to ding it up too bad during the loan... :cool:

Picked tire & rim up at Ski Pro's Wench & Ride. Good bench racing, good smoked ribs, good company and a pleasant sunset over the lake as I took the long way home.
View attachment 213857

·
Registered
630 Posts
I rode a lot, fell down a few times (deep Moab sand), and rode some more.

Nice place to ride and nice pic of the ponies taking a rest.
Is that the famous "Bumblebee" I see hidden on the right? Is Admiral still the proud owner after Purple came from across the sea to ride it at Moab 2019?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice place to ride and nice pic of the ponies taking a rest.
Is that the famous "Bumblebee" I see hidden on the right? Is Admiral still the proud owner after Purple came from across the sea to ride it at Moab 2019?
Yes, and yes. It has a tubular skid guard, also in yellow. Scoob is in front of it. This was at Secret Spire.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Off with the old and on with the new. Took a bit of playing around to get everything to fit. Had to loosen the front brake banjo fitting to adjust its position to accommodate the hand guard bracket. Fits great though. Drilled a hole in the bar to fit the little pin on the killswitch cluster, but I got the damn hole an eighth of an inch off to the side of where I needed it.. Just ended up cutting the little tab off.. Should’ve done that from the start, it still tightens in just fine.

I also replaced every bit of hardware that I removed while doing this job with good 8.8 hardness allenhead bolts. The very first Phillips head screw I tried to remove from the left side control cluster stripped out and I had to use a tiny pair of vise grips to get it off. Removed the front reflectors as well, and replaced the lower triple pinch bolts while I was at it.

·
Registered
2019 TW200
32 Posts
Taught my girlfriend how to ride a motorcycle on the Tdub today!! She’s 5’2 so it’s still pretty tall for her, but she is getting down using the clutch fairly well. It was all just stopping and going practice today, not shifting just yet. Had a little bit of whiskey throttle at one point, she drifted off into an alfalfa crop field and was blaring through the ruts 😂😂. Didn’t drop the bike though, she hit the kill switch and brought the bike to a stop. Handled it like a champ. Need to find a bigger flat field so she can work on changing gears. She understands the theory, just not in practice yet. Getting her a head start for the MSF in a couple weeks!

When the weather is good I have to do this too.

She has an automatic 2 stroker scooter, and a stout e-bike, so balance and speed are covered, she also has no problem driving manual transmissions cars having had a stick honda civic for several years, and borrowing my Wrangler. So really it's just bringing the two pieces together.

I'm imaging it should be a pretty easy process.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When the weather is good I have to do this too.

She has an automatic 2 stroker scooter, and a stout e-bike, so balance and speed are covered, she also has no problem driving manual transmissions cars having had a stick honda civic for several years, and borrowing my Wrangler. So really it's just bringing the two pieces together.

I'm imaging it should be a pretty easy process.
That knowledge will definitely give her a huge advantage. Understanding the theory and principles of operating a clutch will help a lot. It won’t directly translate over to motorcycles, but she will have a good idea on how friction zones work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got the hand guard cover plates in and the turn signals wired in and installed. They don’t stay on like running lights, but they are pretty bright when they flash! Accidentally put black shrink tube on both wires for the left signal, but I corrected that on the right right and used red and black accordingly. Now the blue running light wire connectors hang empty behind the cowl awaiting future aux lights lol. Nice to have those giant turn signals and reflectors gone, really cleans up the front end.
1AB441B1-CDE6-4254-8FB5-E030BCEE806A.jpeg

The Harley sits off in the distance collecting dust 😂

·
Registered
154 Posts
I gave it a bath yesterday so today I rode to install all new bugs on the front.

I was booking it down a dirt rode and didn't see a monster pot hole until it was too late, after I hit it the front started to sound like an electric motor whine.

I guess the speedo gear did something weird, so I stopped fast, no change, rolled backward, that made the sound stop.

Oh well no problem and all new fresh bugs were properly applied.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
A chance of rain today so I left it at home. I guess the roads were really slick this morning. As I was ready to turn the corner to work a motorcycle spilled right across from me. I stopped to help him get his bike up. The good part is he wasn't injured as I think he toppled while he was stopping at the light. The bad thing is his case or engine cover broke and oil was all over the road. He almost fell trying to walk on the wet road while we were pushing the bike.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Put in a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb. Hoping it'll be a little brighter than the standard halogen bulb.

Haven't tested yet....as bike is apart for other things to come.

If anyone has used this bulb, please comment and let me know what you thought of it.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
591 Posts
Put in a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb. Hoping it'll be a little brighter than the standard halogen bulb.

Haven't tested yet....as bike is apart for other things to come.

If anyone has used this bulb, please comment and let me know what you thought of it.
I have one. Much brighter and whiter than stock. That is not saying much. I may have brighter flashlights around the house.

Since I bought a 2 pack, I put one in the beemer too. I was trying to get the bike up to "radiator fan on" temperature by idling in order to check oil level. (It's a BMW thing.) It melted the plastic headlight protector adhered to the headlight.

So I guess they run hot too.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks!

So, it melted the Beemer's, not the TW's, correct?

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
49 Posts
A
Got the hand guard cover plates in and the turn signals wired in and installed. They don’t stay on like running lights, but they are pretty bright when they flash! Accidentally put black shrink tube on both wires for the left signal, but I corrected that on the right right and used red and black accordingly. Now the blue running light wire connectors hang empty behind the cowl awaiting future aux lights lol. Nice to have those giant turn signals and reflectors gone, really cleans up the front end.
View attachment 213885 View attachment 213886
The Harley sits off in the distance collecting dust 😂
At least yours is outside, mine are in my basement garage collecting dust.

6501 - 6520 of 6542 Posts