TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

6601 - 6620 of 6717 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I ordered from Seat Concepts over the phone and picked mine up in person because they're local. She said they're currently 8-10 weeks out.

Reactions: TWBigBlake

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
Washed and stripped down Betty Boop in preparation for some frame welding.

Straightened the just removed bent brake lever, cleaned oil and air filters, replaced O-rings on drain plugs and valve cover gaskets. Adjusted valves on a whim to TTR225 specs rather than
TW200 specs as they are different. Carb is still for a California TW although
feeding a 223cc Brazilian made TTR power plant, likely could benefit from a shim or richer main jet.
Didn’t tear into the instrument panel to install a replacement speedo cable nor find a new horn to replace the one that broke off last ride.

·
Super Moderator
14,616 Posts
Washed and stripped down Betty Boop in preparation for some frame welding. View attachment 215343

Straightened the just removed bent brake lever, cleaned oil and air filters, replaced O-rings on drain plugs and valve cover gaskets. Adjusted valves on a whim to TTR225 specs rather than
TW200 specs as they are different. Carb is still for a California TW although
feeding a 223cc Brazilian made TTR power plant, likely could benefit from a shim or richer main jet.
Didn’t tear into the instrument panel to install a replacement speedo cable nor find a new horn to replace the one that broke off last ride.
That break looks very similar to the break on my XT200. Dang near the same spot. Weld away :)

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
The frame crack was initially noticed after shenanigans at Swing Arm City when I arrived at the Moab gathering of the herd. Was delicately welded by Moab’s bare foot welder to limit spatter on his bare legs and feet. Lasted a few years but will be re-done by local pro.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I just went with stock gearing 14 front and 50 back don't forget the gasket for flywheel cover. The chain was the exact langth so if using bigger sprockets sumthin to consider, rule of thumb is one tooth on front equals 3 on back.
Ah, what was on before....didn't work well?! And thanks for gasket reminder.....whoops.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I took a chance at 50 percent rain forecast but no problem. I rode to and from work. The TW is pretty good on wet roads since it has such smooth power deivery and brakes. I kind of felt my big truck and trailer slide a little around a corner today though. I am really careful on a fresh rained road. They are like ice here in Houston.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I lived in Houston in the 70's I learned early on about how slick those roads are during the first sprinkle after a month of humid heat but no rain.

Since then I have lived a bunch of places, but never anyplace that was so slick after a rain. I suppose it was due to the billions of cars there, or the refineries or something. Here in sunny southern Oregon we can go two months without a drop of rain and it seems in no way like I remember Houston.

PS... I don't miss the magnitude of that Houston rain. Rain drops that are an inch in diameter and a quarter inch apart... WOW. And it all happened at 90 degrees.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I lived in Houston in the 70's I learned early on about how slick those roads are during the first sprinkle after a month of humid heat but no rain.

Since then I have lived a bunch of places, but never anyplace that was so slick after a rain. I suppose it was due to the billions of cars there, or the refineries or something. Here in sunny southern Oregon we can go two months without a drop of rain and it seems in no way like I remember Houston.

PS... I don't miss the magnitude of that Houston rain. Rain drops that are an inch in diameter and a quarter inch apart... WOW. And it all happened at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
I had a project in West Texas where it was said that while it rains only 8 inches a year you should be there the day it does rain😊
Impressive a desert environment when the driving rain bouncing off dirt roads makes a muddy knee high brown mist.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

The good thing is somehow I have only managed to get pelted by those giant rain drops you described one time. Every one of those that hit that day stung.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This morning was a really high chance of rain and again this evening. It was dry when I left so off on the TW and I made it to work dry. This evening the ride home looked like Admiral going through the streams. I had a rain suit and rubber boots in my work truck so I put them on in the middle of a downpour and I was ready for the TW ride home. The good thing about having the bike in the downpours is that I have nearly all the right hand lane to myself. I ride in that lane fairly close to the water and only have to go through it when the water is nearly across the street.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Went for a 91 mile ride today mostly in the woods minus the pavement required to get there and back. Rain in the forecast most of the day but didn't hit any till coming out of the woods and on the way home. Quit about 5 miles from the house but was already soaked by then.

Speaking of Houston, went through there in 1984 on a 1973 R75/5 on Interstate 10 heading to a BMW Rally in Flagstaff. It was 80 mph minimum or get run over and the traffic was incredulous! Can't imagine what it must be like now. On the west end of Texas rode in rain and also rode through some of a sand storm. I'll take the rain any day.

Marty

Reactions: TWBigBlake and Ken

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yesterday I noticed that the non-OEM chain seal I installed in 2018 had dry-rotted quite significantly and needed replacement. I can't believe it lasted this long! Foreseeing that this would happen sooner rather than later, I have had an OEM replacement ready and waiting to go for some time. So I set up shop (Quickshade sun shelter) in the driveway. I then realized that my motorcycle jack is still on loan to a buddy who had yet to return it...Grabbed some cinder blocks and hoisted up the TW. I was able to get the swingarm removed before I had to head inside for the Avalanche game. I'll finish the job today, as well as check my valves while I'm at it.

20210604_183709.jpg

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yesterday I noticed that the non-OEM chain seal I installed in 2018 had dry-rotted quite significantly and needed replacement. I can't believe it lasted this long! Foreseeing that this would happen sooner rather than later, I have had an OEM replacement ready and waiting to go for some time. So I set up shop (Quickshade sun shelter) in the driveway. I then realized that my motorcycle jack is still on loan to a buddy who had yet to return it...Grabbed some cinder blocks and hoisted up the TW. I was able to get the swingarm removed before I had to head inside for the Avalanche game. I'll finish the job today, as well as check my valves while I'm at it.

View attachment 215429
That is an overlooked safety item. Mine broke and wedged into the front sprocket and locked up my rear tire. The good thing is that I was slowing down at a light when the rear tire locked up and the chain came off. I was too lazy to do all the work so I picked up an aftermarket one and siliconed the crud out of it to the swingarm. That chain slider is something to be careful with. I probably should check mine again.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My man! (y) I'm the same way, just replace Avalanche for 'BAMA! :cool:

See @Scooterbrained, @Gullyjumper. This man knows his priorities!! :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
That is an overlooked safety item. Mine broke and wedged into the front sprocket and locked up my rear tire. The good thing is that I was slowing down at a light when the rear tire locked up and the chain came off. I was too lazy to do all the work so I picked up an aftermarket one and siliconed the crud out of it to the swingarm. That chain slider is something to be careful with. I probably should check mine again.
Guys, I checked mine before our GOTG trip in April, and seemed fine, other than being a tad loose (The bolt was tight, and there wasn't any wear around the bolt). Didn't think much of it then, but now.....shouldn't it NOT move?

6601 - 6620 of 6717 Posts