TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
7681 - 7700 of 7796 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The credit is all due to Mr. Matte Black...

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Replaced the clutch cable yesterday and today added an o-ring to the lower oil filter bolt. Not sure if there was one there when I installed the hellicoil and lost it, but it had a slow leak.
Kept the old clutch cable as after lubing the cable it was as good as the new one.
Getting tired of all the rain we are getting.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

Checking on the cows
Could TW possibly stand for The Wrangler?
I first herded cows with a Honda SL100.
Several different 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers.
Never have much with the TDub but if I know it would be better than that old Honda.
And I ruined a 1995 Jeep Wrangler one time I tied up with a crazy cow.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
View attachment 226124
Checking on the cows
Could TW possibly stand for The Wrangler?
I first herded cows with a Honda SL100.
Several different 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers.
Never have much with the TDub but if I know it would be better than that old Honda.
And I ruined a 1995 Jeep Wrangler one time I tied up with a crazy cow.
Only gully would think of chasing cows with a goat.
I myself have only chased wabbits
mike from NC

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've been helping a buddy do some home improvement work for a few days out in Crawford, CO. I brought the TW with me and today I took a short ride to have a look at Black Canyon. Talk about some awesome views! Only grabbed a few pics...

Tire Wheel Plant Cloud Fuel tank

Plant community Mountain Plant Natural landscape Bedrock

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
I've been helping a buddy do some home improvement work for a few days out in Crawford, CO. I brought the TW with me and today I took a short ride to have a look at Black Canyon. Talk about some awesome views! Only grabbed a few pics...

View attachment 226266

View attachment 226265
That XT tank looks good on your TW. I've had an XT tank on Scoob for years now but mine came without the scoops. I looked for a while to find scoops but nothing became available when I was looking so I quit. Seeing your tank I should renew my search.

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
475 Posts
Ran the bike out of gas twice!
Wanted to check how many miles I could get on the 2.8 gal clarke tank. This was my third ride after filing up. 200 lbs of rider and gear. A mix of dirt forest roads and pavement. !0 to 50 mph average. Only 720 miles on 2018 bike so far.
Went to 142.5 miles before reserve needed. Than 184.7 and it ran out of gas! (and i was sweating it. riding over narrow 2 lane bridge in Washingtons most popular state park at rush hour,,,ugh)
When it went to reserve, i was suprised how much gas was left in tank. tried leaning/laying it all way over to left side, but didnt seem to do much good. But nice to have 42 mile reserve regardless. I forgot to look in tank when it died the second time

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Ran the bike out of gas twice!
Wanted to check how many miles I could get on the 2.8 gal clarke tank. This was my third ride after filing up. 200 lbs of rider and gear. A mix of dirt forest roads and pavement. !0 to 50 mph average. Only 720 miles on 2018 bike so far.
Went to 142.5 miles before reserve needed. Than 184.7 and it ran out of gas! (and i was sweating it. riding over narrow 2 lane bridge in Washingtons most popular state park at rush hour,,,ugh)
When it went to reserve, i was suprised how much gas was left in tank. tried leaning/laying it all way over to left side, but didnt seem to do much good. But nice to have 42 mile reserve regardless. I forgot to look in tank when it died the second time
What sprocket set you running?

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That XT tank looks good on your TW. I've had an XT tank on Scoob for years now but mine came without the scoops. I looked for a while to find scoops but nothing became available when I was looking so I quit. Seeing your tank I should renew my search.
Thanks, Admiral! The scoops did not come along with the XT tank, unfortunately. I had to keep my eye on eBay for a used set. They had silver decals on them and have a small melted spot on the inside. I figured since they were white and I wasn't seeing many options available I had to go for it. I wasn't happy about the price at all, however, matching white scoops won over $60. I used a heat gun to gently remove the silver decals without tearing them to pieces or leaving any residue. Perhaps I should look for some blue scoop decals to finish off the look, eh?

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
475 Posts
Elevation? I ask because it sounds a little low for fuel economy. Not bad, but if you aren't tackling hills, it could be a little better if jetted and geared a little.
Sea level to 3000’ ( briefly) ski. Jetting and gears is beyond my mechanical scope or interest unfortunately. I change oil, grease chain etc. after 9 and 14 mpg in trucks. Thrilled with 60 mpg on bike

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The rear suspension was feeling a bit loose and shakey the last couple of rides. There was a lot of play at the trailing arm shock brackets. It still had just the oem shock pin. Am using a custom Marvin Shaw Shock. My cousin and I made a couple of custom sleeves for the same bolt setup as the upper shock mount. Aligned them up and welded onto the swingarm brackets. Feels like a completely different bike now. This fix unfortunately will not work on an oem shock.
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
894 Posts
I attempted to replace my fork seals...
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wood Office supplies Writing implement Font Eyewear

But was foiled when I opened the box I ordered a few weeks ago and found the wrong parts.
Wood Font Material property Tints and shades Eyewear

I guess we'll see if Amazon saves the day. I set it down on blocks and started installing my TrailTech. I opted for the indicator dashboard upgrade and it's nowhere near being plug-n-play. I'm not a fan of wiring butchery so I rummaged through my boxes of wiring scraps for just the right female pins. Once my adapter harness was done, all the wire colors were correct and I was able to plug into the bike's harness without any alterations. I could easily reinstall the factory gauge and cluster and nobody would know I was ever in there.
Plant Gesture Electrical wiring Wrist Wire

Finger Thumb Engineering Cable Electrical wiring

The ends got shrink tubing to keep anything from shorting if it were to ever come loose and touch.

It's mostly together now. The tach, temp, and indicators are working. I'll set up the speed sensor once I get the forks back .
Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Measuring instrument Gauge

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
After a morning cutting firewood for the house I refreshed the chain saw, loaded up Nibbler and headed out to clear some deadfall.
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Turns out somebody else beat me to it.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

With nothing better to do Defender Dawg & I proceeded on to chill creekside for a bit.
Water Water resources Plant Dog Brown bear

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Speaking of cutting and clearing trails, last week I worked on a prototype chainsaw carrier made from a military gas can holder. It just bolts/clamps onto the rack so pretty easy to install and remove from the rack. Chainsaw straps in & out very quickly as well.
These are some of the mocked-up pictures and I've made a few improvements to these early pictures but you get the idea.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Added padding for saw cushion
Home appliance Motor vehicle Kitchen appliance Cookware and bakeware Stove

I don't have it secured in the mount with the ROK straps but when they are secured the chainsaw ain't going anywhere.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Engineering

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Mount should work a lot better than how I've had the chainsaw mounted in the past. Less chance to catch branches alongside the trail.
Last year.
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Speaking of cutting and clearing trails, last week I worked on a prototype chainsaw carrier made from a military gas can holder. It just bolts/clamps onto the rack so pretty easy to install and remove from the rack. Chainsaw straps in & out very quickly as well.
These are some of the mocked-up pictures and I've made a few improvements to these early pictures but you get the idea.
View attachment 226318
Added padding for saw cushion
View attachment 226319
I don't have it secured in the mount with the ROK straps but when they are secured the chainsaw ain't going anywhere.
View attachment 226320

View attachment 226321

View attachment 226322

Mount should work a lot better than how I've had the chainsaw mounted in the past. Less chance to catch branches alongside the trail.
Last year.
View attachment 226323
This spring, I've been carrying a Makita battery operated chainsaw. It cuts every bit as well as my smaller gas saw and much less weight. I carry it in a backpack so any rangers can't see it. The bar and chain break down without needing tools. Much quieter too, for stealth operation.

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
This spring, I've been carrying a Makita battery operated chainsaw. It cuts every bit as well as my smaller gas saw and much less weight. I carry it in a backpack so any rangers can't see it. The bar and chain break down without needing tools. Much quieter too, for stealth operation.
There are pros and cons to each type of saw. Didn't California recently pass or introduce eliminating the use of small engines such as chainsaws, lawnmowers, and generators just to name a few? If that is the case I wholeheartedly promote the use of a battery-operated chainsaw. My battery chainsaw is good for very small trees and is just not strong enough for big trees or a lot of trees which we often encounter especially at the beginning of the riding season. Oldworld124 can attest to the number and size of the trees we've had to clear on rides. My pops-in-law has a larger battery saw and I may borrow that from him to see how it does. I know it cuts better than mine it's just how long is battery life.
Unless you are riding illegally here in Idaho, we don't need to hide a chainsaw from a power ranger type. Matter of fact, it is highly encouraged for motorcycle trail riders to carry a chainsaw to help clear the trails. Motorcycle/motorized trail riders here are the most likely to clear trails by a wide margin. I have seen some Back Country Horsemen Groups conduct trail clearing but their numbers are much smaller. Idaho Parks & Recreation also has a smaller paid "Trail Ranger" program where they also clear trails in the summer. I have heard but never seen or knowingly seen any Forest Service personnel clearing trails and guessing those numbers would be small as well. Heard but not seen must be their motto! haha. I've never seen or heard of a backpacker/hiker or group carrying a chainsaw cutting/clearing trees on the trail. I suppose there is but their numbers must be mighty small.

Oldworld124 and I trail clearing last summer. Even if my battery chainsaw could cut these trees, I wouldn't have had enough batteries there were so many. My gasser is pretty fuel efficient though I do carry an extra small bottle for refills.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tread

Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Tree

7681 - 7700 of 7796 Posts