TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
7701 - 7720 of 7796 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Idaho is not California.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Idaho is not California.
No, it is not. I had to get trained as a volunteer supervisor and get a Class B sawyer's license certification before allowed to cut windfall from trails. Otherwise, the trails are closed until staff can get them clear. In fact, just a simple windstorm or snow fall shuts down trails until someone authorized can go inspect them before the public can ride them. Could be weeks. (Which I am going to say is exactly what they want. No need to do their job if no one is able to legally use the trails after all)
But these are FEDERAL regulations, and if they aren't enforced in Idaho now, they very may well be some time in the future. Here's a link explaining the program;

Class B can be for bucking only for sawyers not needing to fell trees, which is what I am technically not authorized to do, felling trees on national forest lands.

I try to stay legal and normally do. However, as we discovered at Whiskeytown a couple weeks ago, rangers can and do make up rules, such as where it is legal to park, all on their own. I'd rather never talk to one if I can avoid it. Most recently I needed to speak with one at the Pacific Ranger Station for Placerville. I needed a sticker for my TW200 for my lifetime national park pass. Normally you get a hangtag, but a sticker is provided for motorcycles and open top vehicles like jeeps. Of course, the ranger gave me a load of crap, starting with forcing me to deal with her through a window and not letting me inside. It was starting to snow and dam cold! I now have the sticker though. Ha!

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
There are pros and cons to each type of saw. Didn't California recently pass or introduce eliminating the use of small engines such as chainsaws, lawnmowers, and generators just to name a few? If that is the case I wholeheartedly promote the use of a battery-operated chainsaw. My battery chainsaw is good for very small trees and is just not strong enough for big trees or a lot of trees which we often encounter especially at the beginning of the riding season. Oldworld124 can attest to the number and size of the trees we've had to clear on rides. My pops-in-law has a larger battery saw and I may borrow that from him to see how it does. I know it cuts better than mine it's just how long is battery life.
Unless you are riding illegally here in Idaho, we don't need to hide a chainsaw from a power ranger type. Matter of fact, it is highly encouraged for motorcycle trail riders to carry a chainsaw to help clear the trails. Motorcycle/motorized trail riders here are the most likely to clear trails by a wide margin. I have seen some Back Country Horsemen Groups conduct trail clearing but their numbers are much smaller. Idaho Parks & Recreation also has a smaller paid "Trail Ranger" program where they also clear trails in the summer. I have heard but never seen or knowingly seen any Forest Service personnel clearing trails and guessing those numbers would be small as well. Heard but not seen must be their motto! haha. I've never seen or heard of a backpacker/hiker or group carrying a chainsaw cutting/clearing trees on the trail. I suppose there is but their numbers must be mighty small.

Oldworld124 and I trail clearing last summer. Even if my battery chainsaw could cut these trees, I wouldn't have had enough batteries there were so many. My gasser is pretty fuel efficient though I do carry an extra small bottle for refills.
View attachment 226329

View attachment 226330
Yes, soon it will be illegal to sell any internal combustion engine under 25hp. This includes everyone; firemen, emergency response, Cal-Fire, you name it. I have no idea how forest fires will be managed or logging when the law goes into effect in a few years.
From your photos, you open the trails up WAY to wide. We cut to allow 2-wheel or horse to pass only, not 4x4's, quads, SxS, etc. They only tear things up and I don't think I've ever seen one so much as carry a folding hand saw. Most wear shorts and flip-flops. California you know...

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Yes, soon it will be illegal to sell any internal combustion engine under 25hp. This includes everyone; firemen, emergency response, Cal-Fire, you name it. I have no idea how forest fires will be managed or logging when the law goes into effect in a few years.
From your photos, you open the trails up WAY to wide. We cut to allow 2-wheel or horse to pass only, not 4x4's, quads, SxS, etc. They only tear things up and I don't think I've ever seen one so much as carry a folding hand saw. Most wear shorts and flip-flops. California you know...
This was a quad trail (not SxS) which is why it's cut this wide. When it's a single track I only cut wide enough so no one can catch on anything when riding through.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I like Admiral's Cyclerack saw attachment with the recycled Jerry can mount. See has room for little bottles of bar oil and fuel mix.
I don't care much if some bureaucrat sitting in an office somewhere comes up with some rules about how they think I should live outdoors, I'll continue to use my chainsaw until it becomes an actually enforced citable offense. Clearing cross-trail deadfalls before SXS & 4x4s create go-arounds is kinder on the environment, limits erosion and demonstrates a positive custodial attitude towards public lands; something I would think the tree-huggers would approve.
Don't forget President Joe Bidden's campaign pledge was to eliminate all fossil fuels and imprison oil company executives.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Idaho is not California.
Thankfully.
My parents were native Californians...rare in 1926.
I am a native Californian...not common in 1947.
When I retired in 2017, my bi-weekly commute ended.
When my dad passed in 2018, I went back a month later to collect some of his possessions...and have not been back.
M/C trips to Death Valley excluded.
I miss a couple shops (boot store, a surplus store, barber that gave my son his first haircut circa 1981/1982) and Bear Pit BBQ in the north end of the San Fernando Valley. Other than those and coastal canyons, I don't miss anything.
When raising our kids in seventies and eighties, I used to think, why live anywhere else?
Short drive to beach, mountains, lakes, desert.
Mild 4 season climate:
1. Earthquakes
2. Santa Ana winds
3. Forest fires (one was rock throwing distance from our house)
4. Mudslides (in burnt areas, after rains)

Now that it is a communist - fascist country, I do not expect to ever return.
I am the first generation in my family to head east instead of west!
So I certainly am not offended by left coast bashing.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
When I go down, that back of my TW frequently finds a way to trap my leg, giving me time to think about what I did wrong. Do you have a cover for that exposed blade?
Never had a leg trapped, but everytime that I went down in the dirt, it was the left side...well, flipping end-over-end excepted.

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
560 Posts
View attachment 226344
Got the TW nice and dirty today. A group of guys got a ride together in southern Wisconsin on some private property. It was a beautiful day for a ride. Had a great time. My buddy used my DT 50 and he also had a blast.
Love the greenery and the gorgeous wildflowers!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
While no actual work on the bike was completed, I did receive in the mail a new 132 link DID "Gold and Black" X-ring chain and master link in anticipation of the JNS swingarm extension. It's going to ship eventually... I also was notified by RMATV-MC that the back-ordered wheel spacer for my trailer wheel conversion hub setup was back in stock and on its way. Time to obtain the proper trailer wheel and begin the notching process. Of course - I still haven't decided on a tire, but, above the treeline is still encased in snow and trails aren't open. I still have time!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Amazon was Jimmy John's fast. New seals in hand within 18hrs. Closest Yamaha dealer said they don't stock them because they're so rarely needed. Seriously? The bike Yamaha made for 35 years and the dealers have bidding wars over never needs fork seals? Whatever.
Wood Automotive exterior Font Gas Rectangle

I finished up the Trailtech install. Definitely nowhere near bolt-in, but it worked out okay. Made one small bracket. Drilled and tapped a couple holes.
Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle Hub gear Automotive tire
Vehicle Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Planning to trail test on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Amazon was Jimmy John's fast. New seals in hand within 18hrs. Closest Yamaha dealer said they don't stock them because they're so rarely needed. Seriously? The bike Yamaha made for 35 years and the dealers have bidding wars over never needs fork seals? Whatever. View attachment 226347

I finished up the Trailtech install. Definitely nowhere near bolt-in, but it worked out okay. Made one small bracket. Drilled and tapped a couple holes. View attachment 226348 View attachment 226349

Speaking of Monday, Son #3 came up and picked up the TW's for Monday's trail test. :) The Vapor's look cool I just can't talk myself into one. But they look handy!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Looks great! Nice modding! I have that Vapor TrailTech as well....on my DR. I'd been considering switching it over to the TW. You many have finally convinced me.

Amazon was Jimmy John's fast. New seals in hand within 18hrs. Closest Yamaha dealer said they don't stock them because they're so rarely needed. Seriously? The bike Yamaha made for 35 years and the dealers have bidding wars over never needs fork seals? Whatever. View attachment 226347

I finished up the Trailtech install. Definitely nowhere near bolt-in, but it worked out okay. Made one small bracket. Drilled and tapped a couple holes. View attachment 226348 View attachment 226349

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'll see how I like it after a day on the trail. My only (maybe) gripe so far is that the indicator lights aren't very bright under bright sunlight. It ships with incandescent bulbs installed but includes loose LEDs as well. I may swap them out and see if it matters.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I have a Trailtech on one TW, entertaining on the open road with so much trivia to explore when the mind is not otherwise engaged. However I find it a little distractingly bright at night and once on the trails it is very rare for me to glance at the various information displayed on the instruments. But that is just me.
My interest is in the real time trail riding experience so speed, time, ambient and engine temp, average speeds, tire running, time stopped seem less important compared to what is happening right now outside the cockpit. For me it is the experience, not the telemetry that give me pleasure.

7701 - 7720 of 7796 Posts