TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
7921 - 7940 of 7992 Posts

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
Swapping tire/wheel combos between the two bikes.
Nibbler is getting the 55 tooth Duro PowerGrip V2 while Betty Boop gets a dual sprocket but otherwise stock wire rim TrailWing.
An upcoming trip to Idaho & Washington with Nibbler might help me decide to pull the trigger on keeping the ATV tire/ longer travel combo. There are just some sandy steep often snowy places in my winter playground where the ATV tire is a big plus.

·
Registered
2008 TW200
20 Posts
Survived my first motorcycle commute yesterday! 25 miles each way. 75% at 50-55mph thru straight country roads with a few stops, and the rest 35-45mph near towns.

Learned that 60 degrees is about as good as my mesh gear liners are good for. Will need underarmor or something any colder. Was nice and cozy on the ride home though in 90 degrees with liners removed.

Just used my SOG daypack strapped with ROK Straps to my custom rear frame. Probably want something a tad bigger bag-wise.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
I've been known to ride with even less gear...just a hat and sandals riding around some desert hot springs. Discrete photo post of same somehow lost, perhaps for the best. Clothing optional is no big thing at remote hot springs but then hoping on the bike to dry off is a bit more unusual. :giggle:

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Water Cloud Water resources Sky Hat

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Took a long road ride the other day just for kicks. Soft ice cream mission. Rode 218 miles @ highway speed, got 'bout 100 mpg.

Where on earth did you find 218 miles at hwy speeds and return 'bout 100mpg!?!? Downhill both ways? 😁 Inquiring minds wanna know!

Regardless, helluva ride for soft ice cream! (y):cool:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Where on earth did you find 218 miles at hwy speeds and return 'bout 100mpg!?!? Downhill both ways? 😁 Inquiring minds wanna know!

Yep. That's imperial miles to the gallon by the way. Be 80 mpg US. 15/47 gearing, street tires. 60 mph +/-. A few hills too but fairly gentle grades if any. No extra loading not bucking wind to speak of. Mouth closed... If I really push 'er (fairly steady full throttle) not as good, but still pretty decent.

Paddy

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
SpeedyTide said:

Yep. That's imperial miles to the gallon by the way. Be 80 mpg US. 15/47 gearing, street tires. 60 mph +/-. A few hills too but fairly gentle grades if any. No extra loading not bucking wind to speak of. Mouth closed... If I really push 'er (fairly steady full throttle) not as good, but still pretty decent.

Paddy
Ahhh.....I see. That's pretty good mileage! (y)

Reactions: Ken and Snow Fox

·
Registered
587 Posts
The center blocks & one row out from center are primarily tasked with driving and braking. You want their grooves to be perpendicular to those forces to increase the number of long biting edges.

The third row out from center gets into that realm where sideways forces become the major player. Those grooves should be parallel to rotation and perpendicular to the wheel sliding sideways to increase the number of long biting edges in the direction of saving your butt.

IMHO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The center blocks & one row out from center are primarily tasked with driving and braking. You want their grooves to be perpendicular to those forces to increase the number of long biting edges.

The third row out from center gets into that realm where sideways forces become the major player. Those grooves should be parallel to rotation and perpendicular to the wheel sliding sideways to increase the number of long biting edges in the direction of saving your butt.

IMHO.
Yes, that will work too. Diagonal works as well.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
587 Posts
That's a good compromise. Try as best as you can, to avoid creating a groove that results in a corner of less than 90° on the leading edge. Those become prone to tearing off and chunking. Adding sipes to the remaining big blocks can aid in finding traction on the harder, slippery surfaces too.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
My TW is resting today. I took it for a paint run yesterday though. I only got the 1 gallon can. I didn't want to do the 5 gallon can plus I didn't use all of the 5 gallons yet. I'm getting real close to 49,000 miles. Maybe another 100 or so to go. Since I have more bikes now the miles are piling on a little slower. It's also not seeing the 60mph + so it might be good for many more miles. I still like to use it to and from work most of the time. I like the stealth and get out of any predicament capabilities of a small bike around town.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I rode the Dubs out for an adventure at sunup to beat the heat. The forest service trails were fun and uncomplicated and just right for a noob. Afterwards I headed to town for pancakes, bacon and eggs at my favorite cafe. There was absolutely no traffic and I had a blast practicing maneuvers on blacktop. I stopped to take a photo of the Dubs with a herd of elk in the background, but by the time I got my camera out, they galloped away. It was a super fun morning. The more I ride, the more I appreciate the versatility of the Dubs!
Sky Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
757 Posts
The previous grooving worked out so well I added more. Nothing like the smell of burning rubber.

View attachment 227962
To all you groovy grooving groovers... which, specifically, are the grooviest of grooving tools that help you get your best groove on? Links appreciated!

-Aspiring groovers

Reactions: Ken and Snow Fox

·
Registered
187 Posts
To all you groovy grooving groovers... which, specifically, are the grooviest of grooving tools that help you get your best groove on? Links appreciated!

-Aspiring groovers
I have this one - Ideal Tire Groover Regroover #125 110 Volt 250 Watts #4 7/32" Head 12 Blades | eBay

It made an improvement. For example, going up an incline on thick grass, (back side of a steep pond dam). Before grooving, I could make it to the top about one out of three times. It would spin out and I would have to bail and turn back down. I've made it every time now.

It doesn't help coming down the back side, both the 241 on front and the rear tire will lock and slide trying to slow it down.

Haven't noticed much difference on other terrain yet.

7921 - 7940 of 7992 Posts