TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
8481 - 8500 of 8520 Posts

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
101 Posts
Boy, you sure didn't leave a lot of material behind for those stops. Careful, one good smack and they will snap right off!
Yeah, with hindsight I kinda wish I'd taken them to M5 instead of M6.
Oh well, if they pop off I can always put a bolt into the top side of the yoke (I really should've done that this time, but I reeeally didn't fancy stripping down the entire front end)

On the upside though, i finished fitting up the tank & seat! I just need to pour the liner & throw some decent paint on it. My graphics should be here in a couple of weeks.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
23,854 Posts
Rob, am curious as to why you are lessening the OEM steering articulation with those screws. I understand you will adjust, trim and locktight so loss of steering will likely not look so dramatic as your photos show. Have the stops on your frame been modified by a previous owner? Just curious because my trail riding often entails some full lock cornering.

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
101 Posts
Rob, am curious as to why you are lessening the OEM steering articulation with those screws. I understand you will adjust, trim and locktight so loss of steering will likely not look so dramatic as your photos show. Have the stops on your frame been modified by a previous owner? Just curious because my trail riding often entails some full lock cornering.
Yessir. The original stop on the headstock was ground down on both sides. I didn't measure the actual angle of rotation, but it must've been very nearly 160° The top yoke was only a few thou away from contacting the standard tank. I tried the XT tank as it was & had to pull it about 2" back off the front rubbers to prevent the yoke hitting. It's now maybe a little less travel than stock, I have nothing to compare it to, but it feels comparable to every other dirt bike I've ridden, trials bikes aside.

· Registered
513 Posts
What I did on SO's 2012. I had taken apart an old halogen worklight for the aluminum housing, but saved the safety grill. Was walking around the TW and said hey, this might be close to the size and shape of that retro headlight housing. It snapped into place like it was made for it. She doesn't know about it yet.

Attachments

· Registered
1,041 Posts
What I did on SO's 2012. I had taken apart an old halogen worklight for the aluminum housing, but saved the safety grill. Was walking around the TW and said hey, this might be close to the size and shape of that retro headlight housing. It snapped into place like it was made for it. She doesn't know about it yet.
OOOOO. Gives it that vintage 70s-80's look. I had headlight guards on multiple British cars and a Suzuki Samurai in the 80's.

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
101 Posts
*Immediately runs to Lowes & starts robbing the display lamps.....

· Registered
23,854 Posts
Fixed some headlight re-wiring, replaced and bled brake fluid, buttoned things up and went for a little test ride of the new TTR suspension. I waited until things warmed up to 32 degrees but on snow pack roads there was no terrain obstacles available to sample any fork new plushness under impact. I suspect the 15weight fork oil I rebuilt the TR forks with might better have been 10weight.
Phase 2 will be replacing rear OEM shock/spring with a Banshee/Blaster combination after grinding some clearance for gas reservoir on swing arm.

· Super Moderator
14,356 Posts
I like the looks of the high mount. After all, real dirt bikes have high mounts. Right? ;)
But for my use, I prefer the low mount. It does a better job of keeping mud off the engine, letting it cool better than a mud-caked one. I don't worry about the mud building up between the tire and fender here.
Pretty is as pretty does.

Mike
Looks (high vs. low fender) notwithstanding, the low-mount fender keeping mud off the engine is a myth. :)
Low-mount fender
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Tree

Mud trapping between the fender and the tire is real!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Bicycle tire Motocross

...and the high-mount fender results. Doesn't look like much of a difference between the low or high-mounted fender to me! :)
Green Automotive tire Wood Trunk Grass

· Registered
256 Posts
Admiral,
That's some nasty mud! Guess I should have said I would think a low one would do a better job of keeping the mud off. ;)
It does look like it there's a wee bit less mud on the low mount engine. And I agree with mud trapping between the tire and fender. Thankfully I don't have that type of mud here. My days of playing in the mud have been over for a while, it's just not as fun as it used to be! If I see a big mudhole, I'm either going around or turning around! :D

Mike

· Super Moderator
14,356 Posts
Admiral,
That's some nasty mud! Guess I should have said I would think a low one would do a better job of keeping the mud off. ;)
It does look like it there's a wee bit less mud on the low mount engine. And I agree with mud trapping between the tire and fender. Thankfully I don't have that type of mud here. My days of playing in the mud have been over for a while, it's just not as fun as it used to be! If I see a big mudhole, I'm either going around or turning around! :D

Mike
Haha, yeah, we don't seek the mud for sure. We got caught in a thunderstorm and had no choice but to test out our mud-clogging motorcycle skills. It was not fun but makes for a good campfire story! :)

8481 - 8500 of 8520 Posts