TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at helmets. I like the Arai XD4 but theres so many others out there. I also like the Bell MX9. I dont want anything too cheep thats for sure and it needs to be DOT and ECE certified at the very least. Looking for some feed back.

· Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Looking at helmets. I like the Arai XD4 but heres so many others out there. I also like the Bell MX9. I dont want anything too cheep thats for sure and it needs to be DOT and ECE certified at the very least. Looking for some feed back.
Great minds think alike! I just ordered this helmet from RevZilla and it'll be here Monday! Currently I ride in an el cheapo GMax that is only DOT rated so I needed to upgrade.
You gonna order it?

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great minds think alike! I just ordered this helmet from RevZilla and it'll be here Monday! Currently I ride in an el cheapo GMax that is only DOT rated so I needed to upgrade.
You gonna order it?
Afraid to order online. Going to pick one up at shop an hour away if it fits right. Did you order the XD4 or the MX9? I right away liked the XD4 but then started looking at a million others and got overwhelmed.

· Registered
2,465 Posts
This is the one I wear the most ...
I have a couple of different colors to match
Whatever jacket I am wearing at the time...
It works great over a backwards ball cap
Shoe White Cap Product Black

mike from N.C.

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Go to the advanced search feature and type in: Cheap helmet showdown. LuvNot did lots of really good research on some helmets. Many helmets are designed for different shaped heads so find the brand that fits you best and is comfortable to you. One persons great helmet might be another persons hated helmet.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
I have a Shoei, and an Arai XD4. They are both nice, the Arai is a little more comfortable.

· Premium Member
1,630 Posts
The short answer is buy the one that fits you properly. Every head is different and unfortunately helmets are not a one brand fits all situation.

For instance for me i find Bell helmets as well as AGV to be too narrow to fit on my head. AGV is expecially bad, i would need to size up from a size L to 2xl to get one over my ears, then front to back its way too lose. Bell is very similar for me but not as extreme. Arai fits me pretty good borderline great once i tune in the fit with the peel off pad layers. Shoei fits me like it was custom made for me right out of the box, Schuberth fits me very similar.

That said. I wore an XD4 for 7 years and i really liked it. My big complaint with it was wearing it on my Africa twin or other big ADV bike, the peak would just catch wind all the time and want to rip my head off at freeway speed. I know thats not applicable to the TW but there have been times even at TW speeds that wind would effect it. Two other very minor things were the face shield fogging with no real solution( anti fog shield still fogs and pin lock is almost useless in this helmet) and it was very cold in cooler weather due to the long chin bar and no chin curtain to close it up. Overall tho i liked the helmet and would buy another.

I have been wearing a Shoei Hornet X2 for the last two seasons and i have been very happy with it. Superior in the wind with no peak catching wind issues, way better in cool weather and the fit for me is just perfect.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is the one I wear the most ...
I have a couple of different colors to match
Whatever jacket I am wearing at the time...
It works great over a backwards ball cap
View attachment 232052
mike from N.C.
After witnessing a few motorcycle accidents, I will always wear a helmet. Here in the NH lakes region we have what is called, Motorcycle week. Is an event that goes on for a week and includes everything from races to hill climbs to live bands and beer tents. On average about 400,000 bikers show up including a few well known gangs. One problem is that there is no helmet law in NH and it leads to 7-10 deaths and many terrible injuries every motorcycle week.
I once saw a guy go down and when I got to him it looked like someone took a belt sander with # 20 grit to his head. A part of it was literally flat and red like a raw steak and his hands and knuckles were the same. We also had a female friend who was riding passenger with no helmet and she and her boyfriend were killed. Altho she lived for two weeks on life support.
Personally, I wont go to my mailbox without wearing a helmet, gloves and boots. Not after the terrible accidents I've seen here over 45 years of motorcycle week.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered the MX 9. The closest helmet store is a 10 hour RT from Hermit Haven, and Cycle Gear in Albuquerque has an anemic selection so I'm compelled to shop online. I hope it fits. I'll letcha know!
Doing a loop tomorrow. Driving southwest for 2 hour trip to try on a MX9 than two hours back east to try on an XD4.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The short answer is buy the one that fits you properly. Every head is different and unfortunately helmets are not a one brand fits all situation.

For instance for me i find Bell helmets as well as AGV to be too narrow to fit on my head. AGV is expecially bad, i would need to size up from a size L to 2xl to get one over my ears, then front to back its way too lose. Bell is very similar for me but not as extreme. Arai fits me pretty good borderline great once i tune in the fit with the peel off pad layers. Shoei fits me like it was custom made for me right out of the box, Schuberth fits me very similar.

That said. I wore an XD4 for 7 years and i really liked it. My big complaint with it was wearing it on my Africa twin or other big ADV bike, the peak would just catch wind all the time and want to rip my head off at freeway speed. I know thats not applicable to the TW but there have been times even at TW speeds that wind would effect it. Two other very minor things were the face shield fogging with no real solution( anti fog shield still fogs and pin lock is almost useless in this helmet) and it was very cold in cooler weather due to the long chin bar and no chin curtain to close it up. Overall tho i liked the helmet and would buy another.

I have been wearing a Shoei Hornet X2 for the last two seasons and i have been very happy with it. Superior in the wind with no peak catching wind issues, way better in cool weather and the fit for me is just perfect.
Ya, my head shape is between the intermediate oval and narrow oval. so I dont dare order one on line.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Not me. Helmet laws suck. I am a staunch advocate for my right to die or better yet live out a full life in a vegetative state. When a motorcyclist dies in a crash NTSB and DOT statistics record who was wearing a helmet and who was not. By upping the numbers of the ones who die with helmets on, it shows that helmet laws are that much ineffective putting fuel on the fire to repeal helmet laws. As such, I strap the cheapest plastic piece of crap on my head that I can find. This is my way of taking one for the team. Does anyone have a link to a styrofoam helmet or something made by Nerf?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts