TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if I take off the back of my exhaust? How would that affect my motor? I would be taking off the spark arrestor and just leaving that back part open, how would that affect things?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im pretty sure it would be louder. Oh, and i think you may want to rejet the carb or at least adjust it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Removing the spark arrester and end cap would reduce the back pressure in the exhaust system. That would make the engine run leaner.

If your carburetor is stock, it is already running the engine lean. Adding those together would raise the temperature of the motor to dangerous levels.

There is a recent thread with a picture of a piston that was run too lean. Nice big hole in it.

But hey... it's your bike, not mine.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Some bikes it makes a difference, but on the TW it doesn't. It'll give you noise without the need to spend $300 like others have on aftermarket mufflers.

The only "uncorking" that helps the TW is jetting (even with stock exhaust) and a little intake opening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some bikes it makes a difference, but on the TW it doesn't. It'll give you noise without the need to spend $300 like others have on aftermarket mufflers.

The only uncorking that helps the TW is jetting (even with stock exhaust) and a little intake opening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doing so will accomplish the following, Increase in noise, decrease in bottom end torque and horsepower, probable decrease in mid-range and top end unless you rejet the carb.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just wondering if I open it up and do nothing to carb, if it would hurt the motor? I really do like the sound in town, so cars can better hear me coming.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do not like loud motorcycles, and think the theory that a loud bike is heard by the clueless in cages is incorrect. Most cage drivers have a dominant aural environment , music / phone with the windows rolled up and perhaps their own loud exhaust. Better to assume you are invisable to them and act accordingly. rw

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you need to go back to the original post about your exhaust and reread Lizards opinion.He was pretty clear and has a lot of knowledge and the picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Taking the spark arrestor out of the muffler will be a sign of disregard for safety concerns for the benefit of your flakey theory of safety. Why not buy a noisy motocycle? JUST Saying. T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts